Google Drive is one of the best cloud storage services available out there. Even it is one of the widely used platforms for sharing files. We use Google Drive to share docs, images, videos, zip, and other types of files. However, you may not be comfortable downloading zip files on your PC for obvious security reasons. Hence, you may wonder how to unzip files on Google Drive?
Well, unzipping files on Google Drive is possible. But not many users are familiar with how to use the feature on their Desktop or mobile devices. So if the same goes with you too, then don’t worry, as I will be sharing a step-by-step guide on how to open a zip file in Google Drive.
So here we go:
How to unzip files on Google Drive on Desktop?
Unzipping files on Google Drive from a desktop is extremely easy. Google Drive itself offers you a few tools that help you to open zip files.
Google Drive comes with tools like:
- Zip extractor
- Zip Unzip, and others.
Also, you can connect different apps to Google Drive to enjoy extra features.
However, as far as the default apps are considered, each tool functions in a different way. So let me just go ahead and talk about the individual tools and how you can use them to unzip files on Google Drive:
CloudConvert is one of the best apps when it comes to converting your archives online. You can use this app for converting your ZIP, RAR, TAR.GZ, and 7Z files.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t really extract your zip files to Google Drive. But in case, if you have a zip file that is not viewable on Google Drive, then you can use this tool to convert it to a RAR file so you can view it on Google Drive.
To use this tool, follow these steps:
- At first, right-click on the zip file that you want to view.
- Then go to Open With and select CloudConvert, and a new window will open up.
- After that, select your convert format using the drop-down menu.
- Finally, hit the convert button, and the converted file will get saved to your cloud storage.
Also, read How to Remove Google Drive from Mac
Next, there is the Zip Extractor. This one is a free app that allows you to open Zip files in Google Drive and Gmail. Also, this one supports a wide range of file formats that include ZIP, RAR, 7-Zip (*.7z), TAR, GZIP (*.gz), BZIP2 (*.bz2), LZIP (*.lz), and XZ (*.xz).
- Go to Google Drive and right-click on the file you wish to unzip.
- Then go to Open With > Zip Extractor, and a new window will open.
- On the new Window, click on the Authorize Zip Extractor button and sign in using your Google Account.
- Then click on the extract button and wait for the app to unzip your files.
- Finally, click on the View Files button, and it will take you to the folder where the unzipped files are stored.
How to Unzip Files on Mac from Google Drive
You can try out the Zip, Unzip app. This one also allows you to extract zip Google Drive files with ease. So you can extract your compressed files and view them easily. To use this app, you will need to follow the below steps:
- At first, go to Google Drive and locate the zip file.
- Then right-click on the folder and go to Open With > Zip, Unzip.
- Next, click on Login & Authorize button and sign in using your Google Account.
- Once done, you will get to see all the files on the sidebar of your screen. Now from here, you can click on each file to view it.
However, in case if you don’t get to see any of these apps under the Open With menu, then there is no need to panic. Instead, click on the + Connect More Apps option. Then you can search for any app and install it on your Google Drive.
How to unzip files on Google Drive on Smartphone?
Unzipping files on Google Drive on a smartphone is as similar as the desktop methods. It also comes with the same zip extractor apps.
However, the apps don’t work on the Google Drive app available for Android or iOS. Instead, when you try to extract the files, it will open your default browser.
Anyway, to help you understand better, here are all the steps that you have to follow:
- At first, launch the Google Drive app from your Android or iOS device.
- Then do locate the zip file that you wish to view.
- Next, tap on the three dots icon on the file and select Open With.
- Then select any of the apps like Zip Extractor, Zip Unzip, or CloudConverter, and it will get launched in your browser.
- Finally, follow all the on-screen instructions, and you are good to go.
However, the only drawback of the Google Drive mobile app is that there is no option to add apps to extract files.
So if you haven’t installed any app to your Google Drive using a desktop, then you will not be able to extract files on your smartphone.
But you can always use your smartphone browser to view or unzip files on Google Drive if you don’t have access to a desktop.
An alternative method to unzip Google Drive files
If you don’t want to unzip a zip file on your computer. Then you can always use an online converter for the job.
For this, you will need to download the zip file from Google Drive and then upload the file to any online converter and view its contents.
There are lots of online unzipping tools are available, and among them, one such app is extract.me. Simply upload your file, and it will help you to see all the compressed files it has.
You may like:
- How to embed video from google drive?
- Google Drive vs Dropbox
- How to get unlimited Google Drive storage
- Google Drive vs OneDrive – Which one offers better Services?
- How to enable Google Drive Dark Mode on your smartphones
So that was a quick answer to your how-to unzip files on Google Drive question. Now go ahead and try out the above methods and see if they are working for you or not. It covers:
- How to unzip files on google drive
- unzip large files on google drive
- How to open a zip file in google drive
- unzip google drive files on iphone
- how to unzip files in google drive app
- unzip google drive files on iphone
- how to unzip files on android
I am Carissa Gudinoa, a technology buff, and Office online and Apple expert with over 9 years of experience. I am passionate about helping others get the most out of their Apple devices. I have written extensively about Apple products and technologies. I am committed to providing my clients with the best possible service and am always up-to-date on the latest Apple products and features. I also write extensively on other software available for use at minimal cost or free. This includes Word Online, Outlook Online, Excel Online, and other Office online programs… Check out more.