Have you tried Turning off Sync in Drive? Then this is the right page to check How to turn off Google Drive Sync. Google Drive is a familiar and also one of the most popular cloud storage services among all the options available on the web. Since it has sync options sometimes it will be difficult to handle continuous sync when we don’t require it.
Everyone is aware that Google Drive is highly secure and lets you safely store all your files and folders on cloud storage.
If you are on your laptop or desktop, either be it Mac or Windows, you might be using Google Backup and Sync where all your files are auto-backed up as soon as the system boots up. Let’s get started to stop this synchronization.
Turn Off Google Drive Sync on Windows 10 and Mac
Now we will see how to turn off Google Drive sync on Windows 10 and Mac since it is an easy and few-step process. It is based on your decision whether you want to turn off the sync process or remove the entire application from your PC.
Turn off Google Drive Backup and Sync
Here we will see how to turn off the Google Drive storage from sync on a Mac as well as in Windows. Follow the below steps to do so.
- Right-click on your Backup and Sync icon on the bottom-right corner on Windows 10 and the Top-right corner on Mac.
- Choose Preferences.
- Tap on Settings.
- Now, choose to click on Disconnect Account.
- On the pop-up window, click on Disconnect for confirmation.
Now the account will be removed and the synchronization process also stopped. If you want to reconnect again, then that option is also available to do the things.
Uninstall Backup and Sync
As a next step, you can uninstall the application, to get rid of the backup and sync in the Google Drive. Follow the steps to do so.
Stop Google Drive Sync from Windows 10
- Click on the Start Menu on the desktop.
- Tap on the Control Panel and choose Programs.
- Head over to Programs and Features.
- Scroll down to see Google Drive, and click on that you can see Uninstall/Change to remove the application.
- Select Uninstall to remove the application.
Stop Google Drive Sync from Mac
Similar to Windows, we can also stop syncing in Google Drive from a Mac device. Follow the below steps to do so.
- Tap on Finder and click on Applications.
- Search for Backup and Sync from Google.
- Now, you can drag the app to the Trash.
- If the message pops up that the Application is still running, close the app and then try again.
- Once the app is added to the trash, it will not be available on the device.
Stop Sync in Google Drive (Pause and Stop Sync)
To stop the synchronization in Google Drive, we can use the pause and stop option. the System ON, we can choose Pause the backup.
Pause the Application to Stop Sync in Google Drive (Mac and Windows 10)
- Click on Backup and sync.
- Tap on three dots.
- Choose Pause and click on it to pause the backup and sync.
Uncheck the Boxes to Stop Syncing Data
- Tap on the Backup and Sync icon.
- Choose Preferences.
- Select the three menu options one by one and uncheck all the options.
- Click on OK to confirm.
Quit Backup and Sync
Comparing all the methods, you can simply choose to quit the application before it can start backing up the data. For this, tap on the icon on your desktop, and click on Quit Backup and Sync.
It will immediately stop your Google Backup and Sync process temporarily and then you can make the necessary changes if you want to do so.
How to Turn Off Google Drive Sync on Android
Since you will not find the Backup and Sync app for your smartphones, you need to directly turn off Google Drive Sync through the steps mentioned here.
- Click Settings on your Android Smartphone.
- Click on Accounts.
- Select the account you wish to disconnect or stop the sync in Google Drive.
- Click on Account Sync to check all the services are being synced to the drive.
- Now, individually toggle the button and stop the sync.
You can also choose to remove the account from the above process if you wish to permanently get rid of the Google Drive Account Sync. It is much easier and also useful in the long run.
How to Turn Off Google Drive Sync on iOS
Next up if you are an iOS user, you can follow the steps that are slightly different from Android devices. Let us look at it.
- Open Google Drive on your devices.
- Click on your image
- Select Manage your Google Account.
- You can now choose to remove the Google Account that you want to get rid of for Sync.
Other than this, you can always choose to simply sign out of the app which is much easier and less time taking. The process is very similar and with the process above, you can do it all in one. From iOS to Android, you can use the same process for better results.
Hope you got to know how to turn off Google Drive Sync. There are several ways as we have seen for a Windows laptop. You can try uninstalling, pause, and stop the sync, quitting the app, and much more that is beneficial in the long run. The same goes for both Windows and Apple users.
Similarly, for smartphones, the method is simple and easy. You can follow a few steps and will be able to get rid of the app.
You may like:
- How to delete files from google drive permanently?
- Unzip Files on Google Drive on Desktop and Smartphone
- How to move files from one google drive to another?
- Google Drive vs Dropbox
- How to get unlimited Google Drive storage
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.