The ability to share files with your colleagues is one of the most prominent features of Google docs. However, you may encounter some situations where you might need to restrict access to your file from some specific people. Let us see, how do you unshare a folder on google drive?
For example, if you were working with someone on a document and the project has been finished. You can revoke access to the document from your coworker for privacy.
In case you haven’t done this earlier, this article will walk you through the various steps required on how to unshare a folder in Google drive.
Sharing Folder in Google Drive – How it Works?
The files stored on your Google Drive account are kept private until you allow them to be accessible by other people.
Moreover, as you may already know file sharing is one of the most important features of Google Drive. It allows you to share your files and folders stored in your account with anyone.
While sharing your file you can also determine whether people can edit, comment, or only be able to view the file. However, when you share the file, the storage is counted against your account.
Moreover, when you try tweaking the sharing permissions for subfolders and files it may take a lot of time to allow the changes to take place. With that said let’s take a look at some easy and quick methods to unshare a folder on Google Drive.
How to Unshare A Folder in Google Drive
Well, in order to understand how to unshare a folder in Google Drive. You might need to learn what are the different methods to share the folder and how it works. Here are the steps you can follow to do the same.
1. Remove the Recipient’s Email
Although you may find it a little time-consuming, this method works perfectly and allows you to revoke folder access permissions for unwanted people manually. Here’s the stepwise procedure to do this:
- First of all, you need to open the Google Drive interface. Navigate to the address drive.google.com.
- Now, choose the folder that you want to unshare.
- After you have found your desired folder, right-click on it.
- Now, choose the share option or click on the share icon located at the top right corner of your screen.
- A popup will appear on your screen that allows you to modify the file-sharing permissions. At the bottom-right of the popup, you can see the level of privileges specified for the people listed to be able to access this folder.
- Now you will have a complete list of people who can access the specified folder. To revoke sharing permissions from then you can simply click on the Remove icon available next to the person’s email address.
With this method, you can easily revoke the access permission for your folders uploaded on Google Drive manually.
However, if you are looking for a more convenient method that allows you to provide access to the file to a handful of people then make sure you keep reading.
2. Modify Link Sharing Settings
When you stop the link sharing to a folder it can only be viewed by you and the people with whom you have shared your file. Make sure you follow the steps given below carefully to stop link sharing to a folder in Google Drive:
- Firstly open a browser and navigate to Google Drive using the address drive.google.com.
- Now, select the folder you want to change the permissions for.
- You again need to click on the share button.
- As the popup appears, click on the downward-facing arrow located next to the option named “anyone with the link“.
It will show you limited options, and you need to click on the downward facing arrow to reveal additional choices as well. Lastly, you just need to choose your desired level of permission and add your desired recipients.
3. Delete the Shared Folder
If the file is uploaded to your Google Drive account then deleting it will lead to the loss of access permission. It is applicable for all the added recipients after you have permanently deleted it.
However, if you are looking to delete a shared folder that isn’t uploaded to your account, deleting it will make the file disappear from your account.
But, other collaborators may still be able to edit, view, or comment on it. In the latter case, you can also be advised that the file by opening the folder again and then choosing the option “add to my drive“.
Revoking Permission for Multiple Folders or Files
If you believe that a certain number of files are causing a threat to your privacy, you can also delete them in bulk with the help of Google Drive. The process is fairly the same with just a little tweak:
- Foremost of all you need to find the files that you have shared with others. They can be found on the My Drive page, with a share icon.
- After you have located all your shared files you need to select them in bulk by keeping the ctrl key pressed on your keyboard.
- Now, use your left mouse button to select your desired files or folders.
- Once you have completed selecting, right-click on any of the selected files.
- Choose the share option from the drop-down menu.
- You can simply follow the process and steps as given above and unshare multiple files in a similar manner.
With the above-given steps, you can easily prevent your file from being shared with anyone. If you are looking to remove individual people from your file-sharing whitelist, you can consider following the above methods.
You may like the following Google drive articles:
- How to Backup WhatsApp to Google Drive
- How to see who has Viewed a Google Doc
- Google Drive Error List Retry All
- How to Add Google Drive to Finder
- How To Select Multiple Files On Google Drive
- Can Viewers on Google Drive download Files?
- How To Recover Permanently Deleted Photos From Google Drive
- How to Disable Download Option in Google Drive
When it comes to collaboration and file sharing nothing can beat the competency of Google Drive. However, while you are using it, you need to make sure that you have shared your files and folders with the right people.
The method stated above works perfectly on how to unshare a folder on Google Drive. Therefore make sure you give them a try and keep your privacy and control. Also, ensure that you follow every step in the right order and with uttermost care. Here we covered:
- How to unshare a folder in google drive
- How do you unshare a folder on google drive
I am Carissa Gudinoa, a technology buff, and Office online and Apple expert with over 9 years of experience. I am passionate about helping others get the most out of their Apple devices. I have written extensively about Apple products and technologies. I am committed to providing my clients with the best possible service and am always up-to-date on the latest Apple products and features. I also write extensively on other software available for use at minimal cost or free. This includes Word Online, Outlook Online, Excel Online, and other Office online programs… Check out more.