Do you want to see who downloaded the files in Google Drive? Here you go! Here you can check in this tutorial who has downloaded files in Google Drive. Google Drive is a good and secure space for storing and managing your important files and databases.
However, what if someone unauthorized gets access to your files and starts accessing them? How would you know that even with shared access, your files on Google Drive are safe and secure?
As useful as Google Drive is for storing your data, you still need to keep a close eye on how you use it. Now, users find it challenging to download files from Google Drive because it is a secure platform. No file from your Google Drive can be downloaded by anybody.
Unless you gave them permission to access and share your credentials and login information with them. But what would happen if you did grant someone access for a specific reason, and then that person misused it? Let’s get going so we can see further.
Also, read, Store passwords in Google Drive- Is it Safe?
How to Check Who Downloaded Files in Google Drive?
You can monitor who has downloaded files from Google Drive in two different ways, and both methods record every action made on your files and folders. As of right now, one approach costs money, while the other is free.
Let’s have a look at both of them.
Google Apps Unlimited/Google Apps for Education Account
It is very simple and quick to find out who has downloaded your files from Google Drive if you have a Google Apps Unlimited or Google Apps for Education account. There are only a few easy steps that you must take. Let’s examine this.
- On your device, download the Google Apps Unlimited app, then sign into your account.
- You will be able to see the Google Apps Unlimited admin console on your screen after logging in. Locate the Reports option in this admin console and click it.
- Click on the Drive option after selecting Audit from the list of other options.
- You will be able to see a list of every action occurring in your Google Drive, along with information about the modifications made to the files, including the date and time of the changes. Additionally, there will be a Filter option on this page. This is the object that you need to use.
- With this option, you can create different kinds of filters. Make a filter for the users who are able to download the files. As soon as you create this filter, you will be able to see who is downloading files from your Google Drive.
To further ensure the safety and security of your Google Drive, you can add additional filters to restrict user access and permissions.
Even though Google Apps Unlimited Account is a worthwhile choice, you might not want to subscribe to it because it is a paid service. Here is a free substitute that allows you to see who has downloaded files from Google Drive.
Orangedox is the add-on for Google Drive. Thus, you can add the extension to your Google Drive by downloading it.
The instructions for using this extension are as follows.
- Visit Orangedox’s official website and select the “Get Started for Free” option located on the Homepage.
- On the next Sign-in page, select the “Sign-in with Google” option. This will sync Orangedox with your Google Drive.
- Once signed in, select the “Share Links” option and then click on the “Get Started” button.
- As soon as you click on that button, you get the option to share your links. Select the links that you wish to share. This is where you add the filters and protections for your files. In addition to sharing the files, you will see options. Wherein you can enable or disable downloading for the users with whom you are sharing the files. Additionally, you can add passwords and security codes for the downloads.
- Once done, click on the “Finish” button.
- You will see a pop-up asking the platforms where you want your files to be shared. Select the platforms and share the files.
- Now, move back to the Oranged0ox dashboard and click on the “Publish” option in the menu. In this option, you get two views for your shared files, viz., “Viewed” and “Created.”
- Click on the “Viewed” option. Here, you will get a list view of who downloaded your files in Google Drive.
So, it’s that easy with Orangedox. The only limitation is that it works only after you have downloaded it and synced it with your Google Drive, and any past actions and downloads are not reported by this application.
Nonetheless, it’s a good solution if you’re looking for a free option. And it will surely keep you covered for the future.
It’s important to monitor how your files are being used by those who have access to them and to keep your files safe in Google Drive.
You should always be aware of who has offline copies of your files, and the best method to do so is to continuously track file downloaders. For this purpose, you have both paid and free options. We sincerely hope you found them useful and will select wisely.
Related Google Drive tutorials:
- How to Free Up Google Drive Space
- How to Share Videos on Google Drive
- 4 Best Google Drive Clients for Linux
- Cannot Download Files from Google Drive
- How do I make Google Drive downloadable?
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.