Are you facing any errors while copying files in Google Drive? Check out this Google Drive tutorial to fix the issues. Google Drive is one of the best cloud storage platforms in the world without any doubt.
It offers us a wide range of features like collaboration, online file sharing, backup and sync, and so on. However, sometimes Google Drive faces some different issues, such as the error of creating a copy of Google Drive.
The error occurs when you try to copy a file or folder in Google Drive. So if you are facing the errors then check out here to fix the issues. Continue reading to fix the issues while copying the files in Google Drive.
Reasons for Error While Copying in Google Drive
Below are the major reasons for copying files in Google Drive.
Insufficient Storage – If your Google Drive is full or doesn’t have enough space to occupy the copied files, you will face an error. Make sure you have enough available storage.
File Size Limits – Google Drive has specific limits on file sizes. For example, if you are trying to copy a file that exceeds the maximum file size allowed, the operation will fail. Check the file size and try the process.
Permissions Issues – Make sure that you have the required permissions to copy the files in Drive. If the files are shared with you, confirm that the sharing settings let you make copies.
Internet Connection Issues – A stable internet connection is mandatory and basic for file operations in Google Drive. If your internet connection is slow or facing interference, it can lead to errors during file copying. Check your connection and try again.
Why does an Error appear when copying files in Google Drive?
- We will never have any errors in Google Drive. But still unfortunately error occurs for no reason while copying the files in Google Drive.
- We are unable to predict the errors at some point. But minor errors will go within a few minutes.
- However, sometimes the error may occur because of your browser. If there is any corrupted or outdated cache available on your browser, then it might cause the issue. Even the copy error can occur because of some extensions you have installed on your browser. So it is better to remove unwanted extensions in Google Drive.
Check out below to fix the error while copying the files in Google Drive.
How To Fix Error Creating Copy Google Drive Issue?
Now the question is how to get rid of the copy error on Google Drive. The error occurs due to a wide range of reasons. Check the major fixes to solve the errors.
Did You Exceed the Daily Upload Limit?
- Generally, Google Drive has minimum upload limits to copy the files in Drive, but most people are unaware of it. It is the first and foremost step to check whether you exceed the limit or not.
- According to Google, individual users can upload 750 GB of data each day between My Drive and all shared drives. Also, once the user exceeds the upload limit, the user cannot be able to upload any additional files that day.
- Also, this creates additional issues on your Google Drive. As a result, you may not be able to create a copy of any of your files.
- So in case, you have uploaded too many files on Google Drive in a single day, then you better wait for 24 hours to upload it again.
Check the Google Drive Server Status
The error may be from the server side, thus leading to an error while copying the files in Google Drive. it would be a good idea to check if all the Google Drive servers are live or not. To check this, you can go to Google Workspace status Dashboard.
On this page, look for Google Drive and see if it has a green checkmark next to it. If it has a green tickmark, then the servers are live. If it is not, then you need to wait for a while till the issue gets resolved.
Check Google Drive Storage
To copy a file, you will need additional space on your Google Drive. In case you don’t have sufficient space on your drive, you will see errors. So make sure you have enough space available on your drive before you copy any file. To check available Storage, follow these steps.
- Go to Google Drive and sign in to your account.
- Now on the sidebar, you will find Storage, and below it, Google Drive will show you the available space. So here 13.64GB is used out of 15GB.
- Next, look for the file that you wish to copy. After that, check the size of the file under File Size.
- Finally, see if you have enough space left on your Google Drive or not. If you don’t have space, then consider deleting some files and then check if you can copy the file or not.
- As mentioned above, the problem could be with your browser. In case your browser has corrupted cache files or problematic browser extensions. Then it can cause the error, creating a copy Google Drive issue.
- However, when you use the incognito mode on your browser, it doesn’t use your main browser’s cache files or the extensions. So you can use it to check whether the problem is with your browser or not.
- To open an incognito mode on Google Chrome, press CTRL+SHIFT+N simultaneously. Or you can click on the three dots icon from the top right corner and select New Incognito Window.
- For Mozilla Firefox, you can press CTRL+SHIFT+P at the same time or click on the three dots icon from the top right corner and go to New Private Window.
- Once you have launched the incognito window, simply navigate to drive.google.com and sign in to your account. Then try to copy the file and see if you are facing the same problem or not.
Disable Ad Blockers and VPN
- Are you using any ad blockers on your browser? If yes, then it can be the reason why you are facing issues while copying a file on the Drive. So if your ad blocker is a browser extension, then click on the three dots icon from the top right corner on Google Drive. Then go to Extension.
Over here, look for the ad blocker extension and click on the toggle button to disable it. After that, relaunch your web browser try to create a copy of your file, and check if it has resolved the issue.
Similarly, if you are using a VPN to access the internet, then consider disabling it as well. Google Drive may not allow you to alter files since you are accessing Drive from a different location and IP address.
By this, you knew how to check the errors in Google Drive while copying the files. But this is a temporary error and it should be resolved within a few minutes. However, do make sure that you have enough space on your drive to store the copy file.
You may like the following Google Drive tutorials:
- How to Stop Spam in Google Drive
- Google Drive File stream not Working
- How to Stop Google Drive Upload for PC and Smartphones
- Delete Recent Activity on Google Drive
- How to Link a Folder To Google Drive
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.