Google Drive is one of the most popular cloud storage services available out there. Most of us use Google Drive to store files to download them in the future or download the files on some other device. But sometimes, you cannot download files from Google drive due to some reasons.
In case if you are facing a similar kind of issue, then I have got your back. In this article, I will be talking about some of the fixes that will help you to get rid of any download issues on Google Drive.
So here we go:
“Cannot Download Files from Google Drive“- What are the reason behind it?
There are a few reasons why you might not be able to download files from Google Drive for a temporary time. And these reasons are:
- Google limits the number of file downloads. As a result, within 24 hours, if many people visit the file, they may not be able to download the file. So if someone has shared a file with you, then there is a chance that many people have already downloaded the file, and it has reached its maximum download limit.
- There is also a chance that the issue is with your network. So if you have an unstable or slow internet connection, you won’t really be able to download files from Google Drive.
- You may be using an older version of the web browser, which is not letting you download files.
- Maybe, your antivirus program considering the file as spam or malware. Resulting, it is not letting you download your file.
However, no matter what the exact reason is. Below are some of the fixes that you can try to fix the Google Drive cannot download files error.
Ways To Fix “Cannot Download files from Google Drive” Error
1. Check Internet Connection
One of the common reasons behind the error is a slow internet connection. So if your internet is having issues, then you won’t really be able to download files. And to check your internet speed, you can follow these steps:
Go to Windows Settings > Network & Internet > Over here to check if your network status is good. In case if there is an issue with your network connection, then scroll down to find “Network troubleshooter” and follow the on-screen instructions.
Click on the Apple icon from the desktop > go to System Preference > Network > Select the network adapter to check, and the status of your internet connection will be displayed over here.
2. Clear browser cache and data
Maybe it’s your browser cache and data, which is the main culprit behind the cannot download files from Google Drive issues.
As you probably already know that cache build-up can cause webpage loading issues and may not offer you a pleasant browsing experience.
Hence, it is advised that you clean your browser cache from time to time. And to do this, you can follow these steps:
- Open your browser.
- Click on the three dots icon from the upper right corner.
- Then go to More Tools and select Clear browser data.
- Now a new tab will open up.
- From here, select the time range to All time and click on the clear data button.
3. Use a private window
In case if you are the owner of the file, then I would recommend you to share the file with everyone and then use a private window to download the file. Or you can use a different browser.
For this, you will need to follow these steps:
- At first, go to Google Drive.
- Then search for the file that you wish to download.
- Right-click on the file and select Share.
- Next, click on change to anyone with the link.
- After that, copy the sharing URL.
- Now open an incognito or private tab on your internet browser and go to the URL you have copied. Alternatively, you can use a different browser.
- Finally see, if you are able to download the file from Google Drive or not.
4. Disable Ad Blockers or Antivirus
If you are using adblocker extension on your browser or using an antivirus application. Then it might be the reason why you cannot download files from Google Drive.
So I would recommend you to disable adblockers or antivirus for a temporary time and see if you can download files from Google Drive.
5. Switch Google Accounts
Whenever someone shares a file with you, you have to be signed with the account the owner of the file shared access to.
As you already know that, the owner who generates a share link for the file or folder can allow anyone to access the file. Or they can mention email accounts that can only access the file or folder.
So in case if the owner has shared the access with some other email account and if you are not signed with the same email address. Then you are going to face errors like not available, request for access, and others.
In such a case, you have to switch your Google account to the right one. Or ask the file owner to share file access to the email ID you wish to use.
5. Use some other device
If the above steps didn’t work for you, you can try using some other device to download files from Google Drive. In case if you are trying to download files using your desktop, then do try to download it using your Smartphone or vice versa and see if it works for you.
6. Reset Google Chrome Settings
In the end, if nothing works out for you, then do reset Google Chrome settings. As there is a chance that the issue is causing by an extension or incorrect browser settings.
So by resetting Google Chrome settings, you may be able to get rid of the can’t download files from Google Drive error.
For this, you will need to follow these steps:
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click on the three-dot icon from the upper right corner.
- Go to settings.
- Then scroll down and click on Advanced.
- Finally, look for the Restore settings to their original defaults under the Reset and clean up section.
- Then click Reset settings.
You may like:
- How to Logout of Google Drive App
- Copy a Shared Folder in Google Drive
- How to Scan Using Google Drive
- Google Drive Error Accessing Folder Contents
- How to Clear Cache in Google Drive
So those were a few fixes for the cannot download files from Google Drive error. Now go ahead and try these fixes out and see if they are any help to you. Also, if there is anything you would want to ask, then feel free to comment below.
Hello, my name is Shirley. I’m a Google Drive expert and have been working with the platform since it launched. I’ve written extensively about Google Drive tips and tricks, and have created numerous tutorials on how to get the most out of the platform. I also enjoy creating tutorials to help people learn how to use Drive like pros. Read more