Google Drive is a familiar cloud storage service in day-to-day life. Google Drive is safe when it comes to the security of our data. But sometimes, you cannot download files from Google Drive due to some reasons.
Here are the fixes you should know when you are unable to download the files from Google Drive.
Reason for Unable to Download Files from Google Drive
There are a few reasons why you might not be able to download files from Google Drive. It may be due to technical reasons.
Google limits the number of file downloads. As a result, within 24 hours, if many people visit the file, they may not be able to download the file. So if someone has shared a file with you, then there is a chance that many people have already downloaded the file, and it has reached its maximum download limits.
- If you have a slow internet connection, then downloading will not be possible. So the network issue will be the reason for the downloading problem.
- If your current web browser is an older version, then downloading will be delayed or will not happen.
- Sometimes, antivirus is considered malware which prevents you not downloading the files in Google Drive.
If you are not aware of the exact reason for the error, below are the common fixes you can check for not being able to download in Google Drive.
Ways To Fix Cannot Download files from Google Drive Error
Below are the common fixes you can check in Google Drive when you cannot download the files.
Check Internet Connection
The Internet is an important thing to download files faster. So this is a common thing in So if your internet is having issues, then you cannot download files. To check your internet speed, you can follow these steps.
Go to Windows Settings > Network & Internet > Check if the connection is good, else scroll down to see the Network troubleshooter and fix the issue.
Click on the Apple icon from the desktop > go to System Preference > Network > Select the network adapter to check, and the status of your internet connection will be displayed over here. If the issue persists, troubleshoot by yourself to fix the issue.
Clear browser Cache and Data
Browser cache will also be a hidden reason for not downloading the files in Google Drive. You can clear the browser cache to check whether files are downloading or not.
You might be familiar with the cache that causes webpage loading issues and does not offer you a peaceful browsing experience. This makes the file downloading slower in Google Drive.
Here you will see how to clear the browser cache to make the download files easier in Google Drive.
- Open your browser.
- Click on the three dots icon from the upper right corner.
- Then go to More Tools and select Clear browser data.
- Now a new tab will open up.
- From here, select the time range to All time and click on the Clear data button.
Use a Private Window
If you want to use a private window then follow the below steps, to check whether files will be downloading or not. Follow the below steps to do so.
- Open Google Drive from your browser and sign in with your credentials.
- Search for the particular file you want to download.
- Right-click on the file and select Share.
- Next, click on Change to Anyone with the link.
- After that, copy the sharing URL.
- Now open an incognito or private tab on your internet browser and go to the URL you have copied. Alternatively, you can use a different browser. Now check in incognito or a separate tab and go to the URL you copied.
- Finally, check if you can download files in Google Drive or not.
Disable Ad Blockers or Antivirus
The next important thing is, to disable the ad blockers and antivirus to get a smooth process. If you are using an adblocker extension on your browser or using an antivirus application, then it might be the reason why you cannot download files from Google Drive.
So it is better to disable antivirus and adblockers for a while to get things done in Google Drive.
Switch Google Accounts
When the file is shared with you, it is important to sign in with your account. You should be the owner of the account.
If the user shares the file with anyone to access the file or the user can mention email, so that the user alone view the file. But if you are not signed with the same email address. Then you will face errors like not available, request for access, and others.
In such a case, you have to switch your Google account to the right one. Or ask the file owner to share file access to the email ID you wish to use.
Use some other device
If the above methods don’t work then you can use another device to download the files from Google Drive. In case you are trying to download files using your desktop, then do try to download them using your Smartphone or vice versa and see if you can download files in Google Drive.
Reset Google Chrome Settings
As a final thing, if anything doesn’t work for you, then reset Google Chrome settings. There is a possibility caused by an extension or incorrect browser settings.
So by resetting Google Chrome settings, you may be able to get rid of the can’t download files from Google Drive error. By resetting Google Chrome, you get rid of the error.
For this, you will need to follow these steps:
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click on the three-dot icon from the upper right corner.
- Go to Settings.
- Then scroll down and click on Advanced.
- Finally, look for the Restore settings to their original defaults under the Reset and Clean-up section.
- Then click Reset settings.
So these are all a few fixes for the cannot download files from Google Drive error. Now try these fixes out and see if they are any help to you.
You may like:
- How to Logout of Google Drive App
- Copy a Shared Folder in Google Drive
- How to Scan Using Google Drive
- Google Drive Error Accessing Folder Contents
- How to Clear Cache in Google Drive
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.