Do you want to get notified whenever a shared drive collaborator adds a new file to the folder? If yes, you have landed on the right webpage. In today’s article, I am going to share a few different methods that you can follow to get Google Drive notifications when someone adds a file to a Google Drive folder.
It will be helpful if we get notified when someone is adding a file to the Drive. For security purposes too, the notification will be helpful if someone tries to steal important data.
How to Get Google Drive Notification When a File is Added to the Folder
Everyone is familiar with the Google Drive cloud storage platform. It includes Google Docs, slides, and sheets.
Google Drive is a great platform for collaboration, but it lacks some features that improve the user experience to the next level. One such drawback of Google Drive is that it doesn’t have any settings to notify the user whenever a collaborator uploads a new file to the shared folder.
But it doesn’t mean you cannot get notifications whenever collaborators make changes to files like uploading, deleting, or modifying files in Drive. Some methods are not official techniques you can follow.
Here, we are going to share all of those possible techniques.
How to Get Google Drive Notification when a File is Added to the Folder using a third-party extension
The first method required us to install the third-party extension to get notified whenever someone makes any changes in the Drive.
This method will not only notify you when someone adds a file to your Google Drive but will also notify you if a change is made to a Google Drive folder. This will not only notify you but also let you know if changes are made to the Google Drive folder.
For this, all you have to do is follow these simple steps.
- Go to Chrome Webstore and install the Folder notifications for the Google Drive Chrome extension. You can use this link to visit the extension page directly.
- Once the extension is installed, you have to open the Google Chrome Apps page. You can go to this page by typing chrome://apps into the browser address bar.
- Here, you will see the icon of the Folder notifications for the Google Drive extension.
- Next, click on the Review Permissions button to process further.
- A pop-up box will appear where you have to select your Google Account and allow all the permissions that this extension asks for.
- Once the authorization is completed, it will redirect you to the extension’s homepage.
- Here, you have to provide the URL of the folder. Simply go to drive.google.com, copy the folder URL, and paste it into the box that asks for the Folder ID or URL.
- After that, you have to click on the Add Folder button. Once you click, it will add the folder name below the page.
- Click on the Start Notifications button.
These free versions restricted access to the users. For example, the free version lets you track only one folder for changes. It doesn’t track the changes in subfolders.
You will also be restricted to a time frame of 2 hours, meaning you can only get notifications after two hours. You will not be able to get instant notifications. You will also restricted to a time frame of 2 hours, only you can get notifications after two hours.
How to get Notifications Whenever Someone Makes any Changes in Google Drive files
The above-mentioned steps guide will help you by notifying you whenever somebody uploads a file to the shared folder, but what about changes within the file?
Google Drive supports G Suite files such as Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides. If you share such files with someone and they make any changes to those files, it becomes quite challenging to track those changes.
If you want to track these files for changes, you can use this simple and free Google Workspace add-on name notification. This can also used to track changes in the folder, but that functionality is available for only premium users.
Therefore, we recommend you stick with the free version of this notification only.
Here is how you can get notifications for any changes made in files.
- Go to Google Workspace Marketplace and search for the Onleenotification add-on. You can use this link to visit the add-on page directly.
- After that, you have to install this add-on to your Google Drive.
- Once installed, it will ask you to provide some access and permissions. You need to allow them all to use this add-on.
- After that, you have to go to drive.google.com.
- Here, at the right sidebar, you will be able to see Onleenotification’s icon. Click on it.
- There will be an option named “Discover Activity Stream.” You have to click on it.
That’s it. It will show you a list of the changes that have been made by you or any other user to the files you own or have been shared with you by other users. However, you can open the file and permit to receive real-time notifications to your email.
Hope you get clarity on how to get a Google Drive notification when a file is added to the folder.
Google Drive is a great cloud storage platform for file sharing and online collaboration. However, it is difficult to see the changes by keeping an eye on your shared folders. Since there are no official steps for that. But we can use third-party tools to check things.
You may like the following Google Drive articles:
- How to Print an Entire Folder in Google Drive
- How to Print a Locked PDF in Google Drive
- Unable to Access Document Google Drive Error
- How to Remove Google Drive Sharing Link
- How to Remove Password from PDF Google Drive
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.