Do you want to remove your password from Google Drive and don’t know how to do it? Here is the answer to your questions remove the password from Google Drive.
Removing the password from the Drive is for several reasons namely sharing, collaborations, and security concerns. Adding and removing the password entirely depends upon the user’s choice.
As a frequent Drive user, I tried to remove the password from Google Drive but I faced some difficulties in doing. After several research, here iam sharing the tried and workaround method to remove the password of PDF in the Google Drive application.
How to Remove Password from PDF Google Drive
PDF files contain sensitive data frequently protected with a password. Such files are protected from being opened, edited, or printed without a password.
It is easy to decode the PDF files using the password, removing the password completely from the file will be a complicated task.
Google Drive does not provide any options to remove passwords from a password-protected PDF file, there are a few troubleshooting methods that you can follow to remove PDF passwords.
Method 1 – Steps to Remove Password from PDF in Google Drive using Google Drive’s Document Viewer
The first and foremost method is simple and easy. Follow these simple steps to do so.
- Go to drive.google.com from the preferred browser.
- Log in using your Google account credentials.
- Once logged in, click the + New icon and upload your password-protected PDF file.
- Once the uploading process completes, double-click on the file to open it.
- This will open the file in Google’s document viewer. Here you have to enter the password of the file to decrypt.
- Once the file loads successfully, you will see the print option available at the top right corner of your screen. Click on it.
- The new tab will appear and a print pop-up box will be shown. Click the Cancel button.
- Now you will see the download button at the top right corner of your screen. Click it to download the file on your computer.
The file you have downloaded is not protected anymore with a password. This means anyone can easily open it without authorization.
The best thing about this technique is that it is quite simple and easy to follow, and you don’t have to download any additional add-ons for it.
Method 2 – Remove Password from PDF in Google Drive using PDF Toolbox
The next method is to remove the password from PDF files in Google Drive by using an add-on named PDF toolbox.
PDF Toolbox is the best Google Drive add-on that enhances the overall functionality of Google Drive by giving users the ability to encode or decode PDF files.
Follow the below simple steps to remove the password of a PDF file using the PDF toolbox.
- Move to the Workspace marketplace and install the PDF Toolbox add-on. You can visit this page by direct link.
- Log in using your Google account. Use the account credentials and give all the necessary permissions.
- It will ask you to allow PDF Toolbox to access your Google Drive files. Allow these permissions to do so.
- Once the PDF Toolbox is installed successfully, you can see an icon on the right sidebar of your Drive.
- Select the password-protected PDF file you want to unlock and click on the PDF Toolbox icon from the right sidebar.
- It will ask you to authorize the PDF Toolbox to access the password-protected PDF file. Click on the Authorize option.
- It will give you two options such as Encrypt PDF or Decrypt PDF. Since we have to remove the password here, so you have to select the Decrypt PDF option.
- You can set a custom name for the new unprotected file and enter the password of the PDF in the password field.
- Later, click on the Decrypt option and it will remove all the restrictions from that file.
This is how you can easily remove passwords from PDF files in Google Drive using the PDF Toolbox add-on. PDF Toolbox helps decrypt as well as encrypt your PDF files.
This is the method you can easily remove passwords from PDF files in Google Drive using the PDF Toolbox add-on.
How to Encrypt a File using PDF Toolbox
Below are the steps to encrypt a file using PDF Toolbox. Follow all the steps and check from your side.
To encrypt a file using PDF Toolbox, you have to follow these simple steps.
- Go to drive.google.com from the preferred browser.
- Select the file that you want to encrypt and click on the PDF Toolbox icon from the right sidebar.
- It will ask you to authorize the PDF Toolbox to access this file. Grant the authorization permission.
- Now, you have to expand the Encrypt PDF option instead of the Decrypt PDF one.
- Here, you can modify a few things, such as the name of the protected file, decryption password, and other permissions such as allowing or disallowing printing, etc.
- Once you have done everything, click on the Encrypt option.
This will create a new, password-protected PDF file for you and upload it to your Google Drive storage.
FAQs on Remove Password from PDF Google Drive
With Google Drive, you get two options to remove a password from a PDF file. Both of the methods are mentioned above. However, if you don’t often receive password-protected PDF files, we recommend trying the first method. Otherwise, go with the PDF Toolbox one.
Sadly, if you don’t have the password of a PDF file, you may not be able to remove its password. There are plenty of tools that claim to do this for you but let me be honest, the majority of those tools are nothing but just a waste of time and effort. Plus, there are good chances that most of them contain some sort of malware or viruses.
PDF lets you protect your file with two types of passwords – the owner password and the reader password. The owner password lets you change the password, set permissions, modify data, and manage other things, while the user password only lets you view or print the file.
Here you have a detailed article on how to remove passwords from PDF files in Google Drive. PDF is the most popular file format for documents. For example, PDF files do not lose their quality even after sending thousands of times.
Along with that, the PDF file format lets you secure your data in multiple ways, making it a great file format for sharing sensitive data.
However, if you have come across a password-protected PDF file, you can follow the guide mentioned above to remove the password easily.
You may like the following google drive articles:
- How to Rotate a PDF in Google Drive
- Combine PDF Files in Google Drive
- How to Edit a PDF in Google Drive
- Google Drive Tips And Tricks To Learn Now
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.