Are you trying to access files using the Google Backup and Sync client, but you are not able to? If yes, then the Google Drive File stream not working for you.
Before we can proceed with everything, you need to know that Google Drive File Stream has now been reintroduced as Google Drive for Desktop. You can simply visit their official site and download it on your Windows or Mac operating system.
Google Drive file stream may stop functioning for various reasons preventing you from accessing Google Drive files on your computer.
But luckily, fixing the issue isn’t as complicated as it might seem. Instead, there are a bunch of ways that you can use to fix the Google Drive File stream not working issue.
So let me just go ahead and talk about all the available methods one by one:
Why is Your Google Drive File Stream Not Working?
There are various reasons why the Google Drive File stream may not work for you. Maybe, you will find issues with signing in or opening the Google Drive file stream on your computer, or you cannot use the program for different reasons.
As a result, you will encounter issues like:
- You are stuck on the Google Drive login stream while the Google Drive file stream keeps loading.
- You are not able to sync files between Google Drive and your computer.
- Authorization Failed: No longer allowed to view files – this error appearing.
- You are encountering issues like “Drive File Stream is not enabled for the account”.
The causes of the above such errors may be the following:
- Google Drive File Stream having compatibility errors.
- Firewall or Antivirus application blocking Google Drive File Stream.
- You need to share proper syncing permissions.
- There is an issue with your internet.
- You are running an outdated version of Google Drive or Google Drive File Stream version.
How to fix Google Drive File stream error?
1. Check Internet Connection
Before you get into any advanced fixes, the first thing you should do is check whether you have a stable internet connection or not. If there is an issue with your internet, you obviously will not be able to stream files using Google Drive.
So for this, you can follow these below steps to check if there is an issue with your internet:
- At first, click on the start menu and go to Settings on your Windows 10 device.
- Then click on Network & Internet.
- Next, click on Network troubleshooter and let Windows search for any issues.
- If your computer finds any issues, then do repair them and then try and access files from the Google Drive File Stream and see if things are working for you.
2. Disable VPN If Using
If you are using a VPN to control web traffic or safeguard yourself from online threats, then do disable VPN. Because sometimes, VPN is the main culprit that creates issues with your internet connection. As a result, your computer finds it hard to establish a connection between your computer and Google Drive File Stream.
So do disable VPN if you are using such service and then check if you are still getting the same Google drive file stream not working issue.
3. Disable Your Antivirus and Firewall
Your antivirus or firewall applications can also prevent you from accessing Google Drive file stream files. Both of these apps are known for blocking legit applications. As a result, it will be good to block them and then access Google Drive File Stream.
If after disabling the antivirus or firewall, the problem gets fixed, you can add Google Drive as an exception.
Also, you should know that by disabling Antivirus and Firewall applications, you are putting your PC to a wide range of risks. So please proceed ahead with your own risk.
Read Error Creating Copy Google Drive
4. Update Google Drive File Stream
Another thing that you can do is update Google Drive File Stream. In case if you are using an older version of Google Drive File Stream, which Google already has ended support for. Then you will not be able to stream files.
So go to drive.google.com and download the latest version of the Backup and Sync from Google client and install it on your computer. After that check, if you are able to access files or not.
5. Try updating Operating System
There is also a high chance that there is a software bug that is preventing you from accessing the Google Drive File stream. So I would recommend you update your operating system and install the latest version of your OS and check if it has solved the issue for you.
In case if you are using Google Drive, then you can go to Settings > Update & Security > then click on the check for Updates button.
After that, let Windows 10 look for available updates and if it finds any then do install them and check if it has been any help to your issue or not.
6. Uninstall Chrome Remote Desktop
If you are using Chrome Remote Desktop, then you should uninstall it. As it has been a history of interfering with the Google Drive File Stream application. As a result, the Google Drive client faces synchronization.
So go to the control panel and uninstall the software from there and then check if you are still facing issues with Google Drive File Stream.
7. Save Google Drive File Stream Files Offline
Google Drive file stream uses a virtual network to allow you to access files and download them on demand. This feature is pretty helpful when you don’t view files without downloading them.
However, if the Google Drive file stream not working for you, then it would be better if you save Google Drive files offline. And for this, you can follow the below steps:
- At first, go to File Explorer and launch Google Drive File Stream drive.
- Next, launch Google Drive File Stream in File Explorer.
- After that, right-click on any of the files/folders and click on Drive File Stream.
- Next, select Available Offline, and it will make the file available for offline use.
- Once done, check if you can access the file or not.
You may also like the following Google Drive articles:
- HTTP Error 403 on Google Drive – How to fix
- How to Stop Spam in Google Drive
- Cannot Download Files from Google Drive
- How to Logout of Google Drive App
- Save a Google Drive Video to iPhone
- How to Remove Access to Google Drive
So those were a couple of fixes for the Google Drive file stream not working issue. Now go ahead and try these methods out and see if they are working for you. Also, if there is anything else you would want to ask, then do feel free to comment below.
Hello, my name is Shirley. I’m a Google Drive expert and have been working with the platform since it launched. I’ve written extensively about Google Drive tips and tricks, and have created numerous tutorials on how to get the most out of the platform. I also enjoy creating tutorials to help people learn how to use Drive like pros. Read more