Are you aware of the folder size in Google Drive? This is the right platform to check how to see the folder size in Google Drive. We are familiar with Google Drive, which is a great cloud storage space to store your files and folders.
Google Drive has various free plans and paid plans to store our files. It is important to check the folder size in Google Drive to decide about adding storage capacity.
If you want to use more than 15 GB of free storage or are eager to pay a monthly subscription, initially you need to see the folder size in Google Drive. Based on the folder size in Google Drive, you can free up space in your Google Drive account.
To maintain a Google Drive account perfectly arranged or organized to access the files, you have to know the size of the folder. You can look at file sizes, but the total size of the files in each folder is still a question mark. Let’s find a way to see the folder size in Google Drive.
Google Drive folder size limit
A single folder in Google Drive that is not in a shared drive can have a maximum of 500,000 files placed within it. This limit does not apply to the root folder of ‘My Drive’.
Google Drive shared folder size limit
A shared Google Drive can contain a maximum of 400,000 items, including files, folders, and shortcuts. A folder in a shared Google Drive can support up to 20 levels of nested folders.
See Folder Size in Google Drive
This is the quickest method that you can follow to view the folder size in Google Drive. Let’s have a look at the steps.
- Open Google Drive and sign in with your credentials.
- Choose the Gear icon or settings icon in the top right corner. Click the Settings option again.
- Choose View items taking up storage.
- A list of folders will appear on the screen where the larger or heavier files will be listed first, just in that descending order.
Once you have seen the big files, you may decide to delete them or keep them, depending upon our need for storage.
See folder size in Google Drive using the Backup and Sync app
Google Backup and Sync app synchronizes all our Google Drive cloud storage data with our local hard disk. This app displays all of our Google Drive files and folders within a Google Drive File Explorer folder.
With the Backup and Sync app, you can easily view Google Drive folder sizes in Windows native file manager. All you have to do is install the Backup and Sync app on your computer and back up the desired folders.
Follow the below steps to see folder size using the backup and sync app.
- Search for the Back and Sync app in Google and download the app.
- Once the app is installed, save it to your hard drive.
- Open the installer to add Backup and Sync to Windows.
- Sign in to your Google Account while ensuring the associated Google Drive account.
- If you want to back up files to Google Drive from your machine, click Choose Folder. Otherwise, skip this step by clicking Next.
- The “Sync My Drive to this computer” option will be selected by default. The default place for the locally backed-up Google Drive folder is “User Directory”. You can change this directory by choosing “Path.”
- Select “Sync only these folders…” This will show all the Google Drive folders in your local file explorer. Now you can see the folder size of Google Drive files.
Once you have noted the folder size of Google Drive files, close the window. Otherwise, click “Start” to begin syncing Google Drive with your hard drive.
See folder size in Google Drive by downloading the folder
You can download the Google Drive folder to your local hard drive and then view the storage size details of the downloaded folder in File Explorer. Then you can delete the entire folder if you no longer need it.
To see folder size in Google Drive by downloading the folder, follow the below steps.
- Open Google Drive and sign in to your Google Drive account.
- Move to the left side of the page and click “My Drive”.
- Your Google Drive folders will be displayed. Right-click on the folder(the required folder to see size) and press “Download” to save a copy to your hard drive.
- Now the download will be done and you will get notifications.
- The folder’s file will be saved to your browser’s default download folder. Now, open the downloaded Google Drive folder in File Explorer.
- To see the downloaded folder’s size, right-click on the folder and click Properties.
Now, you can see the folder size of the Google Drive folder under the General tab. If you don’t need the folder, you can delete folders by right-clicking the folder and then selecting “Delete.”
See folder size in Google Drive using RaiDrive
You can view all files and folders using RaiDrive without downloading any data to local storage. Thus you can easily check the size of any folder in Google Drive from your File Explorer.
To see folder size in Google Drive using RaiDrive, follow the below steps.
- Search for RaiDrive in Google and download it to your PC.
- Open the RaiDrive app, and then click the option labeled ‘Add’.
- Select “Google Drive” from the Storage section to add it to RaiDrive.
- Now, sign in to your Google Drive account with the “sign in with Google” option and permit RaiDrive.Then add Google Drive as a remote drive location to your computer.
- Open File Explorer, and then double-click the newly added location. Right-click on the added Google Drive folder and then select Properties. You can now view the folder size on the Google Drive folder.
1. Is there any folder limit in Google Drive?
In Google Drive, a particular folder that is not present in a shared drive can contain about 500,000 files or items. Please note that this very limit does not apply to the base folder of My Drive.
2. How big is a Google Drive folder?
Google Drive provides users with 15GB of free storage space. 100 GB and 1 TB storage space can also be obtained by purchasing space at the rate of $2 per month and $10 per month, respectively.
3. Is there a file size limit on Google Drive?
You can upload 750 GB of files in a single day. Once you reach the limit of uploading 750 GB in a day, you won’t be allowed to upload other files on that day.
4. What is the maxim video size for Google Drive?
If you purchased storage, you could upload videos up to 5 TB. Else, the limit of uploading videos will depend upon how much storage space quota is left for you on that day.
I hope you have got an idea of how to find the size of folders on Google Drive. Follow all the methods from your end to see the folder size in Google Drive.
You may like the following Google Drive articles:
- How to embed video from google drive?
- How To Create A Google Drive Account For A Group
- How to Unshare a Folder in Google Drive
- How to Save Word Docs to Google Drive
- How to Turn on Link Sharing on Google Drive
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.