Space between pages in Word is to demarcate new pages or page breaks added to the document. This article looks at these white spaces between pages in Word online. We will see how to add them as well as how to get rid of them.
To show the white spaces in a Word document you will need to click on the line that separates the pages. Hover the mouse over this line and the arrow will change from a white pointer to a double (top and bottom pointing) arrow. Now just double-click on the spot and the white spaces will show.
How to show white spaces in Word?
In the desktop version of Word Online, you have an option to hide the space between pages. In this section, we will take you through how to show white spaces in Word.
- Locate and open the word document you would like to edit
- Start by scrolling through the document and looking for the page ends.
- You will see that the text sits close to each other with little to no space between pages.
- To show spaces between these pages all you need to do is hover your mouse of the page end line.
- The mouse pointer will change to an up and down-facing arrow.
- Once the pointer changes double click on the line
- The page ends will be more prominent and you will have white space at the bottom and top of the text.
Why is my Word document one continuous page?
First-time Word online users often complain that the document they are working on is one continuous page. Sadly this is a default feature in Word Online where you do not have the pages separated. This being said you can add Page End indicators to the document. Here is how it’s done.
- Locate and open the Word online document you would like to work on
- Click on View in the top ribbon of the document
- You will see an option called Page Ends. Click on it
- Scroll through the document you will see a line run across the page where it ends.
- The Footer option will also be visible. You can click on it to make changes to the footer.
How to view white space between pages in Word Online?
White spaces are not visible between pages in Word online, at most you will have a line running across the document. If you are looking for white space between the pages you will need to open it using the Word desktop application. Here is how you can do it.
- Locate and open the document
- Click on Editing in the top ribbon. You will have a dropdown menu
- From the options available select Open in Desktop App.
You will now be redirected to the desktop application where you will have more features. Using these features you can add white space between the pages in your document. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by clicking on the line that separates the pages.
- Hover the mouse over the line
- The shape of the mouse will change to an up-and-down arrow
- Double-click on the line
- You will now have white space at the top and bottom of the page in your document.
How to remove blank space between pages in Word?
Blank spaces in words come from the addition of page breaks or extra pages. This section takes you through how to delete these additional pages. You will need to follow a two-step process of identification and then deletion.
- To identify white spaces in Word online click on Home in the top ribbon of the document.
- Select the Shoe or hide formatting marks option
- By doing this all the formatting marks will be visible.
To delete these spaces you will need to scroll through the document and identify breaks that need to be deleted. Here is how to delete.
- Go to the page break you want to get rid of and click under them.
- The cursor will move to the spot
- Now hit the delete key
This way you can delete the extra space between pages in your Word online document.
How to add a space between pages in Word?
Here is how you can add white space between pages in Word Online.
- Open the Word online document you would like to edit in the desktop application.
- In Mac click on Word in the top panel
- From the dropdown menu select preferences.
- You will have a popup window.
- Click on View under Authoring and proofing tools.
- You will have another popup window.
- Under the Show Window Elements section tick the box next to White space between pages in Print Layout view.
To display white spaces in Windows here are the steps you can follow.
- Open the word online document you would like to format in the desktop application. This way you will have more formatting options.
- Click on File in the top ribbon of the document.
- You will have a menu panel on the left of the screen.
- Select Options.
On selecting Options you will have a popup menu with various formatting tools.
- Click on Display on the left. You will see advanced options on the right of the menu.
- Unde page display options check the box next to Show white space between pages in Print Layout view.
- Click on OK to lock in the changes.
Another way of adding white space after pages is by using the mouse.
- Scroll to the end of the page. You will see the page end line
- Hover the mouse over this line and it will change shape. You will now have an up and down-facing arrow.
- At this point, all you need to do is double click
- You will have a blank space added to the end of the page.
This method is useful for Mac as well as Windows.
This article took you through the various ways in which you can add or remove white space between pages in Word Online. It also looked at performing this task on Mac and Windows systems.
Hope you found this tutorial article interesting. Check out similar articles here:
- How to set double spacing in word online?
- How to see page breaks in Word Online?
- copy paste graph from excel to word online
- How to make all periods bigger on word online
- How to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.