Spotify is one of the most popular music streaming services and has over 433 million subscribed users. However, you might notice a few crashes here and there, a black screen, auto-start, and other issues after installing the applications.
You can uninstall Spotify on Mac manually all by yourself. The first thing you need to do is open the Applications menu option and look for Spotify. Make a two-finger tap on it and tap on Move to Trash to delete it. Now, we have to remove all the files existing on the system. For this, search for all the library files on Spotify and delete them all at once.
This article details how you can completely remove the Spotify application from your system and a few other helpful tips. Keep reading to find out more.
How to Uninstall Spotify on Mac?
1. Manual Uninstallation
Spotify does not come with an uninstaller, so you will need to remove it manually from the system. Refer to the steps given below to see how it is done.
- If you have Spotify opened up on your Mac, quit the application first by using the Command-Q shortcut and click on Spotify from the Menu bar and select Quit Spotify from the list.
- Now, open a Finder window and head over to the Applications tab from the menu on the left-hand side.
- Find Spotify from the list, use the two-finger gesture to display the contextual menu, and select Move to Trash from the list.
- Alternatively, you can select the file and drag it into the trash bin.
- Now, you need to remove any and all Spotify-related files. To do this, open a Finder window again, click on Go from the Menu bar, and click on the go to the folder.
- Now paste the following paths one by one and click on the Go button.
- ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.Spotify.client.savedState
- Open all these folders and select all the files using the Command-A shortcut. Now click Command-Delete to delete them all.
2. Using Third-Party Application
You can also use third-party applications like MacTube or BuhoCleaner to uninstall Spotify on Mac. These applications allow you to completely remove Spotify from your system without leaving behind any trace. Refer to the instructions provided below to see how it is done.
- Head over to the BuhoCleaner website and download the application.
- Install the package on your Mac and open the application.
- Once the application is launched, click on the App Uninstall button.
- Search for Spotify and select the Remove button.
How to Reinstall Spotify on Mac?
Once you’ve uninstalled and removed all Spotify-related applications and files from your Mac, you can go on ahead and reinstall it. Refer to the steps provided below to see how it is done.
- Ensure you’ve uninstalled Spotify from your Mac and removed any associated files.
- Now open up your preferred browser and open up Spotify’s website.
- Download it for your Mac and open the package to install it.
- Alternatively, click the AppStore shortcut on the Menu bar and search for Spotify.
- You can install it from the AppStore as well.
- Once it is installed, sign in to your account, and you’re good to go.
Why Can’t I Delete Spotify From My Mac?
If you notice that you cannot delete Spotify from your Mac, it might be because it or some of its related functions are still running in the background. You can ensure Spotify is closed properly by opening the activity monitor and quitting the specified process.
Follow the steps provided below to see a detailed breakdown of this method.
- Open a Finder window and head over to the Applications tab from the menu on the left-hand side.
- Now, open the Utilities folder and Activity Monitor by double-clicking on it.
- Click on the CPU tab and search for any processes related to Spotify.
- Double-click on the process and press the quit option at the window’s bottom.
- Now, try deleting the Spotify application again, and you shouldn’t face any issues.
How to Stop Spotify From Opening on Startup on Your Mac
There are several ways you can stop Spotify from opening on startup, refer to the following instructions to see how it is done.
- Now, open up Spotify and use the two-finger gesture on its icon on the dock to display the contextual menu.
- Select Options from the list and click on the Open at login option to uncheck it.
- Another way to do this is to head over to the System Preferences by clicking on the Apple logo on the Menu bar.
- Click on the Users & Groups tab.
- Here, on the right side, you will see a list of applications that have permission to launch as soon as you log in to your Mac.
- Find Spotify, and select it.
- Now, click on the “-” button below the box to remove it from the list of startup applications. Now, Spotify should stop launching on startup automatically.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you plan to delete or uninstall Spotify from your system, it will most likely delete the downloads you made while using the app. However, since you are logged in to your Spotify account, all your playlists will remain intact, and you can access them if you choose to re-install the app and log in to your account.
That’s it for this article, folks; now you know how to uninstall Spotify on your Mac and prevent it from launching on its own during startup. If you notice that Spotify is malfunctioning, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the application for a fresh start.
Moreover, you can also use third-party applications for uninstalling and preventing Spotify from launching during startup. However, some of these applications may be behind a paywall. We recommend using the native system settings to perform these actions; no third-party applications are required.
You may like
- How to Select Multiple Files on Mac and Make Changes to It
- How to Convert PowerPoint to Video on Mac
- How to Make a PDF File Fillable on Mac
- Get Rid of Microphone Icon on Mac
- Why is My Mac Battery Draining So Fast
- How to Convert RAW to JPEG on Mac
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.