What do you do if you accidentally spell something wrong, or add an extra word or character? How do you undo actions while using Word? this article takes you through how to undo on word online, it also looks at how to redo actions that you might have undone.
To undo and action on Word online you can use the keyboard shortcut, Ctrl + Z for Windows and Command + Z for Mac. You can also use Undo button that’s located in the Home tab of the document. To redo an action you can use the Redo button in the Home tab or Ctrl + Y on Windows and Command + Y on Mac systems.
How to undo on word online?
Here is how you can undo actions in Word online.
- Open Office online and log in using your credentials.
- Go to Word online.
- You will have the list of documents created on word online on the right
- Double-click on the document you would like to edit. If you want to open a new document click on the option.
- Start typing into the document, add pictures, tables, or anything that you need to do. If an action needs to be undone click on the Home tab in the top menu
- Under Home, you will see the Undo option. Click on it.
- From the dropdown menu click on Undo. The last action you have performed will be undone.
What is the undo shortcut key?
While Undoing an action in Word it is good to remember that only the latest action can be undone. If you need to undo an action that was say 3 actions ago you will need to undo all the actions performed after it.
To undo an action in Word Online you can use the following keyboard shortcut.
- Ctrl + Z for Windows and
- Command + Z for Mac
How to redo on word online?
Here is how you can redo an action in word online.
- Login to Word online and double-click on the document you would like to open. You can also open a new document from the home page.
- After you have opened the document start working on it. While working you need to redo an action that you undid by mistake. Click on the Home tab in the top ribbon of the document.
- Under Home, you will see the Undo sign with an arrow near it. Click on the arrow for a dropdown menu.
- Select Redo from the options.
- The action will be redone.
What is the redo shortcut key?
Redo works in a way that you can redo the actions that you might have undone by mistake. Say you undid deleting a word from your content, but then realized you don’t really need it.
You can use the redo function to rectify it. To redo an action in Word you can use the following keyboard shortcut
- Ctrl + Y for Windows and
- Command + Y for Mac
How to undo on word for Mac?
Here are the steps you can follow to use the undo function in Word for Mac.
- Locate the document you would like to work on. Go to the folder it is saved in and double-click to open.
- You can also open a new document by going to Word and clicking on the new document option.
- While working on the document if you need to undo an action you can click on the Undo sign in the top bar near the save button.
You could alternatively use the keyboard shortcut Command + Z. Remember the undo option will only recall the last action. If you are looking to undo something older you will have to go back that many steps. Also, undo doesn’t work if you close the document.
Steps on how to redo on word for Mac
Here are the steps you can follow if you want to redo an action in Word for Mac.
- Open the document you would like to work on.
- Start working on the document, when there is an error you will involuntarily use the undo function. But if you need to recall this you can use the redo function.
- The redo option is in the top menu. Click on the arrow near undo and you will have a dropdown menu.
- From this menu, u can click on and select redo.
If you would like to use the keyboard to redo an action, You can use the command + Y combination.
How to undo on word for Windows?
Here are the steps you can follow when using the undo function in Windows.
- Open Word and click on the document you want to open. This can also be done from explorer or the folder in which you have saved the document. You also have the option of starting a new document.
- Once the document is open and you are working on it, there will be an action that you would want to undo.
- In such cases the undo button is on the top bar near save
- Click on undo and the action will be undone.
If you would like to use a keyboard shortcut its Ctrl + Z
Steps on how to redo on word for Windows
When it comes to using the redo function on a Windows system here are the steps you can follow.
- Open the document
- Start by working on it, when u undo an action and realize that the undo was not needed you can redo it.
- The redo button is in the top bar of the document.
- Click on the arrow near undo and you will have a dropdown.
- From here you can click on Redo
Use the Combination Ctrl + Y on your keyboard for a faster redo.
How to undo and redo on word for Android?
Here are the steps you can follow for an undo and redo on an Android device for word.
- Download the word application for Android and log in to your account. All the files created and saved will sync to your phone.
- You can tap on the name of the document to open it
- Once the document is open enable editing
- Start adding in the content required. If you need to undo an action go to the top ribbon
- The editing menu on top will have an undo arrow.
- Tap on it and the action will be undone
- Another place you will find the undo icon is near the Home section at the bottom of the screen.
If you need to redo you will find the redo sign in the dropdown under undo.
How to undo and redo on word for iOS?
Looking to undo in word online using your iOS device? here are the steps to follow
- Download the word application from the store and log in to your account.
- Tap on the document to open it
- Enable editing
- Work on the document till you have something to undo
- Tap on the editing bar and you will have the undo option
- You can also find an undo option near the home menu at the bottom.
The redo option in iOS is in the dropdown menu under undo. simply tap on the arrow and you will have the option. tap on it to use
This article took you through how to undo and redo on word online. It also looked at keyboard shortcuts. If you found this tutorial article interesting and helpful check out the section below for similar articles.
You may like the following word online tutorials:
- How to insert a cover page in word online
- How to merge cells in word online?
- add borders in word online
- How to move pictures in word online?
- How to add a header in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.