Skype is one of the most famous video-calling software out there. It was founded in 2003 as a peer-to-peer messaging service, gradually moving towards video conferencing and calls. Millions of users worldwide currently use this application; however, some have been facing certain camera issues on their system while accessing skype. If you want to learn more about how to turn on Skype Camera on your Mac, this might help you out.
The simplest way to turn on Skype Camera On Mac is first to open the application itself. Then on the top menu bar, click on Preferences. Head to the Audio or Video tab and choose the camera menu. Click on the built-in iSight option, and the camera will turn on.
This article details how you can turn on the skype camera on your Mac. Mac’s privacy settings might restrict camera access, and a few additional steps are needed to enable it to function properly.
How to Turn on Skype Camera on Mac
This method is rather simple; all you need to do is make some changes to the Skype application. Refer to the instructions provided below to know more.
- Power on and sign in to your Mac.
- Open a Finder window and head over to the Applications tab from the menu on the left-hand side.
- Search for Skype and double-click on it to open.
- Now, open the Skype program menu and click on Preferences.
- Head to the Audio/Video tab and click on the camera menu.
- Select FaceTime HD Camera. This option turns on your Mac’s camera, and you can notice a small light beside the camera on your screen.
How to Allow Skype Access to my Camera on Mac?
You might need to allow access to your webcam when you install Skype for the first time on your Mac. Refer to the instructions provided below to see how it is done.
- Power on and sign in to your Mac.
- Head to the Menu bar, click on the Apple logo, and select System Preferences from the list. Alternatively, you can also use the System Preferences shortcut on the dock.
- Click on the Security & Privacy tab.
- Make sure you’re on the Privacy tab.
- Click on the small lock at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Now, enter your password when prompted.
- From the menu on the left-hand side, click on Camera.
- Now, from the section on the right-hand side, search for Skype and check the box next to it to allow access.
- If this method does not work, you can try resetting the cache on your skype application.
- For this, open a Finder window and click on Go on the Menu bar.
- Select Go to the folder from the dropdown list and type in “~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft” without quotation.
- Now, look for the Skype for Desktop folder and rename it to Skye for Desktop old.
- Now, relaunch the Skype application and check to see if it fixed the issue.
Why is My Camera Not Working on my Mac?
There can be several reasons why Skype might not be able to access Mac’s internal webcam, like software or hardware issues, incompatible drivers, etc. Other reasons can also be different programs that might be using the webcam, preventing Skype from accessing it.
This is because much third-party software is designed specifically for Windows systems and thus lacks optimizations for the macOS.
1. Close Backgroud Application
First, check to see if another program is using the webcam or not. If you have another application in the background running, like discord, facetime, or zoom, then Skype will not be able to access the camera. A good way to do this is to close all of the programs, which can be using the webcam, and then restart Skype.
2. Update Skype
Another reason for this can be an outdated skype version, which is also one of the most common reasons. If you have a pending update, make sure you update the application to the latest version and check to see if it fixed the issue.
If you have a friend who’s on an older Skype version and you are on the newest version, then you will not be able to use the video as Skype discontinued video compatibility for earlier versions.
3. Check the Webcam
If the two methods above don’t work out, you can check to see if your webcam is functioning properly. You can do this by opening any other application that uses the webcam and checking to see if it is working properly within that application.
Alternatively, you can click Skype, head over to Preferences, and click on the camera drop-down menu. Select the camera you want to use and check to see if it works properly.
4. Check the External Webcam
An external camera can also be an issue if its software is not installed properly and the connecting wires are damaged. Try removing and reconnecting the USB wires and reinstalling the software to ensure all the necessary drivers are installed.
Suppose the manufacturer of your external webcam does not support macOS; in that case, you can try installing third-party drivers like Macam or USB WebCam driver.
5. Check the Compatibility
Almost all webcams compatible with Mac should work with it; however, skype has said that some older versions have some problems. Skype recommends using a webcam that is Skype certified to ensure it will be compatible with your system.
Another thing to be on the lookout for is to check if the webcam is Universal Video Class Compliant or not. If it is not, there’s no guarantee that the camera will work properly with your system.
That’s it for this article, folks; now you know how to turn on the camera on Skype on mac and troubleshoot some commonly faced problems. If you’re using the built-in camera on your Mac, you need to enable permissions and check to see if the webcam is functioning and responding properly. While using an external webcam, it is important to ensure that the camera is Skype-certified or Universal Video Class compliant to ensure it works properly.
You may like the following mac tutorials:
- How to Stop Discord From Launching on Startup Mac
- Transfer Videos From iPhone to Mac
- How to Open a New Window on Mac
- Cannot Upload Files From Mac
- Turn up Brightness on Mac With Keyboard
- How to Take Screenshots on iPhone? [11 Ultimate Methods]
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.