Your Apple MacBook comes with two themes you can choose from, light or dark. The dark mode is helpful when you’re using the laptop at night and in low-light conditions as it aids visibility and also reduces battery consumption. In this tutorial, we will see, how to turn off dark mode on Mac.
The dark mode was introduced on Mac with the macOS Mojave update. Since then it has been a huge help to keep your eyes healthy. But you may not always like the dark mode as it changes the entire color of the interface and might not soothe you all day long.
So, we tried all the steps and created this guide that will help you to turn off dark mode on your Mac within seconds. Keep reading this article if you’ve grown bored of using dark mode and want to switch back to the default light mode.
How to Turn Off Dark Mode on Mac?
There are two ways to turn off the dark mode on your Mac. You can access the appearance settings using system preferences, change the theme, or switch it from the control center. Read the steps given below to learn how to do that.
- Sign in to your Mac, hover the cursor over to the menu bar, and choose the Apple logo.
- Choose System Preferences from the list and open the General tab.
- In the Appearance section, click on Light, and the theme should change to a lighter tone immediately.
- Subsequently, you can also choose the Auto mode to let the Mac switch between the two modes automatically. For example, it will automatically use light mode during the daytime and switch to dark mode in the evening.
- The control center can also be used to do the same. Hover the cursor over to the menu bar and click on the control center icon.
- Click on Display from the list and click the Dark mode button to toggle it off.
How to Turn Off Night Shift on Mac?
Blue light emitted by smartphone and laptop screens can be detrimental to vision if exposed to it for prolonged periods.
Night shift uses geolocation and the system’s clock to shift the color spectrum of the screen to a warmer hue during nighttime to reduce the effect of blue light on our circadian rhythms.
Read the steps provided below to learn how to turn it off on the Apple macbook.
- Open your Mac, hover the cursor over to the menu bar, and select the Apple logo.
- Choose System preferences from the list and head over to the Displays tab.
- Once inside the Displays tab, click on the Night shift at the bottom of the window.
- Click on the box next to the Schedule section and select Off.
- Hit Done.
This is how to turn off dark mode on Mac.
How to Make Mac Announce the Time at Regular Intervals
Did you know you could make your Mac announce the time aloud at regular set intervals?
If not, then keep reading to find out how you can do this.
- Open your Mac, and select the Apple logo from the menu bar.
- Choose System preferences from the list and head over to the Dock & Menu bar tab.
- Search for the Clock tab and click on it.
- You will see a checkbox next to Announce time, tick that, and you should be good to go.
- You can decide the announcement intervals according to your preference. You can choose between hourly, quarterly, or half-hourly.
- Suppose you want to change the voice of the announcement. Click on Customize voice and adjust the voice according to your preference.
How to Open Terminal on Mac?
You can access the command line on a Mac using the terminal. Read the steps given below to see how to open it.
- Sign in to your Mac.
- Click on the icon representing a magnifying glass to open the Spotlight search. Type in “terminal” and hit return to open the app. You can also use the Command-Space shortcut to run a Spotlight search.
- Furthermore, you can also access the terminal using Finder. Make sure you have a Finder window open and click on the Applications tab on the side menu.
- You can find the terminal app there.
How to Forget a WiFi Network on Mac?
Refer to the instructions provided below to learn how to forget a WiFi network on your Mac.
- Open your Mac and sign in to it.
- Select the Apple logo from the menu bar.
- Choose System Preferences from the list and head over to the Networks tab.
- Make sure WiFi is selected on the side menu and click on Advanced.
- From there, choose the network you want to forget and click the “-” symbol.
- A prompt will be displayed asking if you want to forget the network; click Remove.
- Hit Apply, and you should be good to go.
Why is my Dark Mode not working?
Now, there are times that you might not be able to either switch on the dark or mode or vice versa. The reason behind it could be anything. You can however choose to fix the issue or the bug and get back on track again.
- Update your MacOS. There are a lot of times that your system has bugs or errors that cannot be fixed from your end. Hence, only after updating the system to its latest version can bring back the dark mode.
- Restart your Mac. Another method you can try by simply restarting your device. It generally works for any kind of errors or especially when your system is hanging.
That’s it, folks. As you saw, switching off dark mode and night shift on your Mac is a straightforward task. Well, the question is why people prefer working or using the system in the dark mode. The reason is pretty simple, it puts less strain on the eyes, especially at night. Similarly, you can even choose to turn off the dark mode when you do not need it and use it normally.
Once you learn how to switch it on, you can reverse the process and turn it off as well. It is no rocket science and you can easily follow through.
We hope this article provided you with some value, and be sure to try out all the tips and tricks we mentioned.
You may like the following Mac tutorials:
- How to Zoom in on Mac With Mouse
- How Do I Delete Bookmarks On My Mac
- Sign Out of App Store on Mac
- How To Make A Pdf File Smaller On Mac
- How to do Upside Down Question Mark on Mac
I am Carissa Gudinoa, a technology buff, and Office online and Apple expert with over 9 years of experience. I am passionate about helping others get the most out of their Apple devices. I have written extensively about Apple products and technologies. I am committed to providing my clients with the best possible service and am always up-to-date on the latest Apple products and features. I also write extensively on other software available for use at minimal cost or free. This includes Word Online, Outlook Online, Excel Online, and other Office online programs… Check out more.