You can transfer videos and other media files from your iPhone to your Mac in several ways. You can transfer them using iCloud, a physical cable, and upload them to another cloud drive and AirDrop. Moreover, you can even use the Photos application, and if you have sync turned on, all your photos and videos will be synced automatically to all devices using the same Apple ID.
To transfer videos from iPhone to Mac you can simply use AirDrop. It is the easiest method you can use and hardly takes seconds to transfer large video files from one device to another. Open the Photos app on your iPhone and select all the video files you want to transfer. Now, tap on the share icon below and choose AirDrop. Here, look for your MacBook’s name and tap on it. The transfer will begin immediately.
This article details how to transfer your videos from your iPhone to your Mac.
How to Transfer Videos From iPhone to Mac
1. Using iCloud Photos
iCloud Photos is designed to back up your photos, keep them safe, and sync them across all devices using the same Apple ID. Using this method, you do not need to import your media files from one device to another.
The Photos application always keeps original full-resolution photos and videos on each of your devices. However, there is an option to disable that and keep optimized versions to conserve space on your devices.
Use the following steps to set up your iCloud between your iPhone and Mac.
- Open your iPhone and click on the Settings app.
- Click on the tab that says your name, which should be on top.
- Select iCloud and toggle on iCloud photos from the list.
Now, moving over to the Mac. Simply Sign and move the cursor to the Menu bar and select the Apple logo.
- Click on System Preferences from the list and select Apple ID from the Preferences window.
- Select iCloud from the menu on the left and check the box next to the Photos option on the right.
- Once the Photos app is open, move the cursor to the Menu bar and click on Photos.
- Select Preferences from the list; you can also use the Command-Comma shortcut to do the same.
- Click on the iCloud tab and check the box next to the iCloud photos option.
All your videos, photos, and other media files will automatically be synced to your Mac. Any new videos or pictures you take on your iPhone will appear on your Mac.
2. Using Wired Cable
This is another way to transfer videos and other media files from your iPhone to your Mac. You will need a cable to connect your iPhone to your Mac. Once you’ve logged in to your Mac and connected your iPhone to the Mac, refer to the instructions given below.
- Open the Photos app from the dock or a Finder window, and head over to the Applications tab from the menu on the left side. Search for Photos and launch it.
- An import screen will be displayed inside the Photos app with all the photos and videos available on your iPhone. If you cannot see the import option, click on your iPhone’s name on the side menu.
- Enter the passcode for your iPhone if prompted.
- Select the location you want your photos to be imported, choose the images you wish to import, and click. Import selected. Or you can click on Import all to transfer all of the images and videos to your Mac.
3. Using AirDrop
Before starting with this method, ensure your iPhone has AirDrop enabled. Similarly, go to the AirDrop tab on the side menu inside a Finder window and make sure you select Contacts only or Everyone in the Allow me to be discovered by section. After that, follow the steps given below.
- Open your iPhone and select the photos or video you want to send to your Mac.
- Press the Share button at the bottom of the screen and select your Mac’s name from the list.
- You will be notified about a file being shared with you on your Mac. Accept it, and you’ll be able to view the photo or video on Mac.
4. Downloading Photos and Videos From iCloud’s Website
Another method to transfer videos from your iPhone to your Mac is to download them onto your Mac from the iCloud website directly.
However, you need to ensure that your iPhone has iCloud enabled for the Photos application. After confirming that refer to the following steps given below.
- Sign in to your Mac and open your preferred browser.
- Head over to the iCloud website at iCloud.com.
- Enter your details to access the iCloud drive.
- Click on Photos and select the pictures that you want to download.
- Press and hold the download button on the toolbar and choose Unmodified original if you want to download the original photos
Frequently Asked Questions
Since Apple has discontinued the application, you can no longer use iTunes to transfer any videos or files. Instead, you can use the photos app for the same purpose and choose options such as saving it to iCloud, AirDrop, etc.
You can use iCloud to transfer videos from iPhone to Mac; however, if you do not have any space left in it, the best option here is to use Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. You can transfer all your files on Google Drive through your iPhone and then download those files to your Mac easily.
That’s it for this article, now you know all the methods to transfer videos from your iPhone to your Mac. We recommend using AirDrop as it is the fastest and most efficient method if the number of video files to transfer is less.
Other than that, allowing the Photos application to sync to your Mac is the next best method if you have many media files you need to transfer.
You may like the following iPhone tutorials:
- How to Sync Reminders on iPhone and Mac
- How to Delete Photos on Mac but not on iCloud
- Disconnect Your iPhone From Mac
- Import Photos From iPhone To Mac Without USB
- How to Share Wifi Password from Mac to iPhone
- How To Set up iPhone? [With 3 Bonus Tips]
- How to Highlight a Screenshot on iPhone? [9 Fast Approaches]
- How to Enable or Disable Notifications on iPhone 13 and iPhone 14? [3 Major Procedures]
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.