Are you looking to stop OneDrive to pop-up every time? Well, an unwanted OneDrive Pop-up can hamper your productivity. It forces you to close the pop-up every time you go to work on your computer. Whenever you reboot your device, Microsoft OneDrive vexes you by asking you to log in and create an account.
If you are using Windows operating system, you will get OneDrive whether you like it or not. Even if you never use it, that will continue OneDrive from working in the background. It is going to pop up at regular intervals. Some of you must be comfortable with using Dropbox or google drive.
Many others like to use it in web browsers and find this program unnecessary for all those who are exasperated with repeated OneDrive pop-ups and do not have any plans of using it in the future.
We will teach you How to stop the OneDrive pop-ups but first some things you need to know.
Why does onedrive keep popping up?
Repeated pop-ups can annoy you to no end when you are not a user of the Microsoft cloud service OneDrive. But if you want to fix a problem, you must first understand its cause. Why does OneDrive Pop up when you start your computer?
The reason behind this is that OneDrive is integrated into Your PC configuration. So whenever you start your device, your PC configures itself for your use, automatically triggering the OneDrive. However, you do not have to worry. You can solve it easily.
How to stop onedrive from popping up?
If you want a forever solution to Stop OneDrive from popping up from time to time, there is some way you can achieve it. Like
- You can Prevent OneDrive from Starting from Task Manager.
- The Easiest Solution will be disabling OneDrive.
- Make Your OneDrive Hidden
- Try Resetting OneDrive.
To make your work easy, we have given you a complete set of instructions that are easy to follow. You need to apply the step carefully in Sequential order. Start with the following:
1. Prevent OneDrive from Starting on Startup
Whether you are using a Windows system or Mac, multiple apps or software automatically start up as soon as you start your system. Now, you can choose to stop this from happening. Here is how you can do it on your Mac,
- Open your system and log in to it.
- Now, wait for all the apps and software to load
- Click on the Apple icon on the top-left corner of the screen.
- Choose System Settings and open General from the left menu list.
- Go to Login Items.
- Under the option Open at Login, choose OneDrive and click on the – icon below.
This will immediately remove OneDrive from starting up every time you log in to your system. If you wish to get it back, you can always use the same steps above and add it to the list.
2. Disabling OneDrive
As we already informed you, OneDrive pops up because it is integrated into PC configurations. If you want to stop the annoying pop-up from starting every time, you need to disable your OneDrive.
You are telling your PC to stop syncing OneDrive whenever your computer restarts by disabling it. There are various methods which are listed below:
- Start rebooting your computer.
- Right-click on the taskbar, which is present below on your screen. If you are using Windows 11 right, click on your taskbar’s start button (which looks like a window symbol).
- Select Taskbar Manager from the option.
- You can also apply the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+ESC from the keyboard to open the taskbar. It is the easiest and quickest way to be a task manager.
- From Task Manager, choose the More Detail option from the bottom.
- Now Select Startup.
- If you can not see the more detailed option on your computer or are using Windows 11, choose from the side menu from your taskbar. If you hover the mouse on the side option, you will see the startup option. Click on it
- Here you will be given a disable button on the previous window version, or you need to right-click on Enable, and you can see the first option to Disable. Click on it to get rid of OneDrive.
If you are not considered tech-savvy, have any problem opening Task Manager, or like to work with command. There is also a second method from which you can disable your OneDrive.
- Press Window Key and R together to open the run prompt.
- In the Run command prompt, enter the line command gpedit.msc and press enter.
- Now navigate OneDrive by typing the following path.
- Local Computer Policy> Computer Policy> Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates > Windows Components> OneDrive.
- Now, in OneDrive, you must open Settings.
- Open Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage
- Under the section Prevent the Usage of OneDrive for file Storage, click on Enable.
- Then select OK and close the window.
By following the steps mentioned above, you can prevent OneDrive from Sync with Cloud, and it will remove the OneDrive from File Explorer Navigation.
3. Make Your OneDrive Hidden
There is a fantastic way to stop continuous pop up from OneDrive. You can hide it because uninstalling it from the standard practice is impossible. Therefore, we are choosing to hide it, which makes it unavailable on the interface. This is how you do it:
- Right-click on the OneDrive icon in Notification.
- Open settings from there, and you will see a different section tab, Choose General from it.
- Under the General tab, uncheck all the boxes.
- Now go to Backup Tab, and ensure that the Photo, Video, and Screenshot boxes are unchecked.
- Next, choose Account Tab and click on Choose Folder.
- Under the section of Sync, your OneDrive File to the PC unchecks all the given boxes.
- Confirm by clicking OK
- Now go to the Account tab again and click on Unlink PC.
- Now you will see the welcome prompt close it.
- Go to File Explorer and Right Click on OneDrive.
- Click on Properties.
- In General Tab, check the Hidden box.
- Click on Apply and then on OK.
4. Reset OneDrive
Many people are comfortable using OneDrive through web browsers rather than the desktop client, or their OneDrive works like a bug. Whatever the case, sometimes resetting the software can resolve many issues. You can reset it by using Window Powershell:
- To open the Window PowerShell, type its name in the Window search bar.
- Right-Click on the first option and select Run as Administrator.
- Type the following command in it line command line:
- After the Process is Stopped, type the given command.
- To delete the registry, enter the command.
- Last command for reset-
After Typing the last command, the installation process will start, and your OneDrive resetting will be complete.
Frequently Asked Questions
To access the OneDrive Setting, follow the: Locate the OneDrive icon present either in the taskbar or notification panel, and click it. You will get the Setting option in the menu.
You can find OneDrive Version by the following method: Open OneDrive Setting. Now, navigate to About, and you will get the version number.
OneDrive offers a limited free cloud service where you can store your data like photos, documents, music, video, etc. You can access it from any place and another PC.
At last, these hacks are excellent to stop One Drive to pop-up. Although pop up is annoying, they are not doing any harm. However, it is best to get rid of it by using all the steps and methods mentioned above.
You may also like:
- How to Remove Green Checkmark from OneDrive Windows
- How to Share a OneDrive Folder via Email
- Access OneDrive Recycle Bin
- How to Delete All Photos from OneDrive
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.