Passwords are very personal details that should always be kept secret. Apple introduced a feature called Share Your WiFi with the iOS 11 update on the iPhone, allowing you to seamlessly share your WiFi password between two Apple devices running on iOS 11 or higher versions. Moreover, this also works on Mac with macOS High Sierra and later versions.
We have detailed a list of steps in this article on how to share WiFi password from Mac to iPhone and corroborated some commonly faced problems and solutions for them.
How to Share Wifi Password from Mac to iPhone
Now that you’ve completed all the essential prerequisites, we can get started with the actual process of sharing the WiFi password from your Mac to your iPhone.
- Open up your Mac.
- Hover over to the Menu bar and select the WiFi icon.
- Toggle the WiFi switch on and wait for it to search and identify the nearby WiFi networks.
- Connect to your WiFi network.
- Open the WiFi settings on your iPhone.
- Make sure the iPhone is close to the Mac.
- When the WiFi whose password you want to be shared to your iPhone appears, tap on it.
- On your Mac, you will see a dialog box appear in the top corner of the screen.
- Press the Share button after you click on it.
Furthermore, the password should now be shared with your iPhone, and it should be connected to that WiFi network.
Share Wifi Password from Mac to iPhone – Things to Consider
There are a few criteria that both devices should follow for the Share Your WiFi feature to work properly. Refer to these steps below to ensure you follow each of them.
1. Turn on Bluetooth and WiFi
This is the most basic requirement. Make sure that both Bluetooth and WiFi are turned on on your iPhone and your Mac as well. Moreover, even if you do not have how it is to be done being a new owner of an iPhone, we have listed all the methods from which you can learn to do so.
How to Turn On Bluetooth and WiFi on iPhone
Here are the steps you can follow to turn on Bluetooth and wifi on your iPhone. Well, the process is pretty simple, so you can easily follow them.
- Unlock your iPhone and locate the Settings app.
- You should see the WiFi tab right at the top.
- Click on it and it and enable the toggle switch; it will automatically search for available WiFi networks in the vicinity.
- Choose your WiFi network and enter the password to connect to it.
- To turn on the Bluetooth, the process is precisely the same.
- Go back to the main settings page and look for the Bluetooth tab.
- Select it and toggle the switch on.
How to Turn on Bluetooth and WiFi on Mac
Next, you can check out the steps through which you can try turning on Wifi and Bluetooth on your Mac. Once these are turned on, it becomes easy to share the password.
- Log in to your Mac.
- On the Menu Bar, you should see the symbol of WiFi; click on it, and turn it on if it is switched off.
- It will automatically start searching for nearby networks.
- Connect to your WiFi network.
- Subsequently, this can be done by finding System Preferences by clicking on them on the dock.
- Select the tab which reads Networks and toggle the Turn WiFi on option.
- Click on the box beside Network Name, and choose the appropriate network.
2. Ensure that Hotspot is not running on your iPhone
How to Check if the personal hotspot is switched off on your iPhone
- Open up your iPhone.
- Find and open the Settings app.
- Click on Personal Hotspot.
- You will see an option called Allow others to join; make sure that is toggled off.
3. Keep your Mac and your iPhone closeby
The devices you want to share the WiFi password shouldn’t be too far away from each other. Keep them beside each other or where they are still within the range of Bluetooth and WiFi for the best possible results.
4. Updated OS
Keep in mind that this feature works only with iPhones that are running iOS 11 or later versions and Macs with macOS High Sierra.
How to Check the macOS version
The process of checking the current macOS version is straightforward. Refer to these steps given below.
- Open up and log in to your Mac.
- Click on the Apple logo that you’ll find on the Menu Bar.
- Select About this Mac; the current version of the OS you’re running should be visible on the new window. Make sure it’s at least on High Sierra or any other version that came after that.
Checking the iPhone’s OS version
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- From the list, find the General tab and click on it.
- Scroll down till you see the About option and tap on it.
- The current version of the iOS currently running on your iPhone should be displayed on the screen right now.
Can I Share the WiFi Password With Any Device?
No, the WiFi sharing feature only world between two Apple devices. Furthermore, it won’t work if you have an android or any other device.
Is Using AirDrop to Transfer the WiFi Password Possible?
No, using AirDrop to share the WiFi password isn’t possible. However, you can use AirDrop to share passwords of websites that you have saved on your iCloud through Safari.
- Open up your Mac.
- Find and run Safari.
- Hover the cursor over to the Menu Bar and click on Safari.
- Select Preferences from the menu.
- Click on the Passwords tab.
- You will see the list of websites on the left-hand side; select the website whose password you want to share.
- Press on the AirDrop icon beside the name of the website.
- Select the contact you want to AirDrop the password to, and you’re done.
The Share Your WiFi feature comes in handy when you don’t want to manually type the password on your iPhone. Furthermore, you just need to ensure you’re on the proper operating system on both devices and have WiFi and Bluetooth enabled.
You may also like:
- How to Turn Off Pop Up Blocker on Mac
- How to Sync Messages from iPhone to Mac
- Why won’t my Airpods Connect to my Mac?
- How to Zoom in on Mac With Mouse
- How To Import Photos From iPhone To Mac Without USB
- Type a Bullet Point on Mac
- How to Take a Scrolling Screenshot on Mac
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.