Do you want to share large video files in Google Drive? You are on the right page to check how to share large files in Google Drive.
When you are trying to send large files in email, it will cut the messages and you cannot send the full message in email. For that reason, we are looking for the Google Drive application.
This simple tutorial explains how to upload and share large video files using Google Drive.
How to Share Large Video Files Using Google Drive
The first and foremost step of this process would be uploading the file on Google Drive. Since it is a straightforward method. Follow the below method to learn how to do so.
- Go to the Google Drive website at drive.google.com from your preferred browser.
- Enter your credentials to access the Drive.
- Once you are logged in, click on the button that says New on the side menu.
- Select File upload if it is a single file or Folder upload if the items you want to upload are inside a folder.
- Once you choose this option, a new window will pop up where you can upload a file or folder in Drive.
- After you are done choosing, wait till the files are uploaded.
- Select the recently uploaded file or folder by right-clicking on it.
- Select Share from the menu.
- In the Add people and groups section, enter the person’s email with whom you want to share this file within the new dialog box and change the person’s access level to this file according to you. You can choose between editor, viewer, or commenter. After you have edited all the settings, click on Send.
Now the user will receive an email notification related to the file you have shared with them and using the link provided in the mail, they can view or edit the file.
How to Share Large Video Files Using Gmail?
You are familiar that you can send less than 25 MB of files using Gmail. Since Gmail has some limitations in sending large files. So there is only one way to solve this problem.
You have to upload your files to Google Drive, generate a public link from your Drive, and send the link via Gmail. Now, the person who gets this mail can open the link and view the file regardless of its size. Follow the below steps to do so.
- Move to the Google Drive website at drive.google.com from your preferred browser.
- Enter your credentials to access the Drive.
- If you have not uploaded your file to the Drive yet, click on the New option in the left navigation, and choose File upload.
- Once the file has been uploaded, select the file and draw out the contextual menu by right-clicking on it.
- Choose the Get link option. Click on the section that says Restricted and select Anyone with the link.
- Now, change the access levels based on your preference. You can choose between editor, viewer, and commenter.
- Click the Copy link button beside the generated link to copy it.
- Now, go to the Gmail website at gmail.com.
- Enter your details if prompted to log in.
- Select the Compose button on the side menu.
- Enter the email of the person you want to share the file with, paste the link to the file, and hit Send.
Since you selected the Anyone with the link option, anyone who has the link to this file can view it. It doesn’t necessarily have to be only the person to whom you sent the link.
Sharing a File on The Mobile Application For Google Drive
Sharing large files on Android or iPhone is similar to how you have done on PC. Follow the below steps to do so.
- Go to the Google Drive application or download it from the Play Store or App Store to install the application if you don’t have one.
- Open the app and enter your details to access the Drive.
- Once you are logged in, search for the file you want to share and tap the three dots.
- Select Share from the menu and enter the person’s email with whom you want to share the file.
- Hit the send button, and the file will be shared with the person whose email you entered.
How to Generate a Public Link For a File on the Mobile Application For Google Drive?
There is a slightly different method if you want your file to be shared with a lot of people. Follow the below steps to see how it works.
- Open the Google Drive application.
- Enter your details if you are prompted to log in again.
- Once you log in, search the particular file you want to share and click the three dots.
- Click on Manage people and links from the menu.
- Under Link settings, click the Change button and switch it to Anyone with the link.
- Then hit the copy icon next to the Link settings section.
- Now, you can share the link with anyone you want, they will be able to access the file.
Here you learn everything you need to know on how to share large video files using Google Drive.
Since, we already know Gmail does not allow you to share large files directly, hence if you want to use Gmail to send the file, it is best if you generate a public link through Drive and then send an email to the person containing the file’s link.
The user can click the link and choose to download the video or play directly from Drive itself. But make sure you have a proper internet connection or it will take time for the video to process.
You may like the following Google Drive tutorials:
- How to Stop Google Drive Upload for PC and Smartphones
- How do you upload a pdf to Google Drive?
- Google Drive Upload Failure 38
- Google Drive Waiting to Upload Error
- How to Upload a Folder to Google Drive on Android
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.