Google Drive is a popular cloud service from Google. It comes integrated on Android devices (though not limited to Android devices), allowing users to sync their files to the cloud for backup. Moreover, users can upload their files or folder on Google Drive and access them on your tablet, PC, or any other device you use.
Users can also share a file or a folder they upload on Google Drive. This gives the recipient the ability to view the file or even edit it. Sharing a folder on Google Drive is easy, but if you don’t know how to do it, we are here to help you with that.
Here we will discuss how you can share a folder on Google Drive and change the permissions of the folder you share.
How to Share a Folder On Google Drive
There are various ways to share a folder on Google Drive; you can invite specific people, allow sharing with the link, or share with a group of people.
1. Sharing Folder Through Invitation
If you want to invite specific people to access the folder, then you can follow the steps given below-
- Open the browser on your PC, and head to the website of Google Drive. Ensure you are logged in with your account on Google drive.
- Now, select the folder you want to share, and right-click on it to open the context menu.
- From the context menu, select Share. Click on the empty field saying Add people and groups, and then enter the person’s email.
- Now click on the drop-down menu right beside the field where you entered the email of the person. You will be given three options- viewer, commenter, and editor.
- Viewer- If you want the person you are adding to only view the contents of the folder, select this option.
- Commenter- This option allows the person to view and comment on the files.
- Editor-With this permission, the recipient will be able to edit the contents of the file.
- If you want to send the notification to the person, then check the checkbox saying Notify people.
- Click on Send to share the folder with the people you have added. An email will be sent to people you have shared the folder with.
Similarly, you can send or share a folder with as many people as you want to.
Read How to restore Google Drive to previous date?
2. Sharing Folder With Link
If you don’t have the email address of the person you want to share the folder with, you can send them the link to the folder, and they will be able to access it. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Click on this link to access Google Drive on your PC. Clicking on this link will open the default browser set on your PC, and it will lead you to the Google Drive website.
- Select the folder that you want to share, right-click on it, and then click on Share.
- Here you will see a section called Get Link.
- Click on change to change the permission. Ensure it is not set to Restricted. If you see the Restricted option here, click on it, and select Anyone with the link.
- Now click on the drop-down menu that you see right beside the Anyone with the link. You will get three options here- viewer, commenter, and editor. Choose any of the options that you want to.
- Viewer- Selecting this option will only allow the recipient to view the contents of the folder.
- Commenter- Recipients will be able to view and comment on the files in the folder.
- Editor- This gives permission to the recipient to make changes to the files inside the folder and edit them.
- Choose an option as per your preference, and then click on the Copy link.
- Click on Done once you are done with it. You can now share the link with anyone you want to, and they will be able to access it.
3. Sharing With Google Group
If you want to share the folder with a group of people, then you can do it by following the steps given below-
Firstly, you will have to create a group of people with whom you want to share the link.
- To do so, head to the Google Groups website on your PC. You can do so by clicking on this link.
- Click on the Menu icon (hamburger icon) at the top left corner of the screen.
- Here click on Create group.
- On the next screen, you will have to enter the Group info. Enter the Group name, Group email, Group description, and then click on Next.
- On the next page, you will have to set the privacy settings for the group. You will have to select Who can search for group, join group, view conversation, post, and view members. Once done, click on Next.
- Now you will have to add the members to the group. Click on the field below the Group members, and enter the email of the person you want to add to the group. Similarly, do for the Group Managers, and this will set the person who can manage the group.
- You can change the group owners if you want to. By default, you will be the owner of the group.
- Enter the Welcome message in the given field.
- Next, you will have to set the subscription. Click on the drop-down menu below the Subscription, and select from the given option.
- Click on Create group, and your group will be created.
- After you are done with creating the group, you can share the folder to the group with the above two methods, i.e., sharing with the link or sharing via invitation.
Read Google Drive Files Missing
How to Remove the Sharing Permission on a Folder
If you want to remove the sharing permission for the folder, then you can do it by following the steps given below-
- Open the preferred browser on your PC, and head to Google Drive.
- Now, select the folder that you have shared. Right-click on it, and then click on Share.
- If you have invited the people to edit, then you will see them here.
- Click on the drop-down menu next to the person you want to remove, and click on Remove.
- If you have shared the folder link, then click on the Change option below the Get Link section. Click on Anyone with the link and then click on Restricted.
- Once done, click on Done, and the sharing permissions will be removed.
You may also like:
- How to Organize Google Drive?
- How to Secure Google Drive?
- You don’t have an authorization Google Drive
- How to Block Someone on Google Drive
- This video cannot be played google drive
This is how you can share a folder on Google Drive with the person you want to. The above guide allows you to share a folder through the link, invite people to access the folder, and even share the folder with a group of people.
Hello, my name is Shirley. I’m a Google Drive expert and have been working with the platform since it launched. I’ve written extensively about Google Drive tips and tricks, and have created numerous tutorials on how to get the most out of the platform. I also enjoy creating tutorials to help people learn how to use Drive like pros. Read more