In this article, we have covered all possible methods you can follow to share documents and files on OneDrive. So, if you are looking for something like this, you have stumbled upon the right webpage.
You can choose to share a document on OneDrive using multiple methods. The best way to go is to create a OneDrive link that works for all the users who are not using OneDrive. Sign in to your OneDrive account and choose the file you want to share. Now, make right-click on it and then select the option Anyone with the link can edit. After this, click on Apply and then copy the shareable link.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started –
How to Share a Document on OneDrive
Due to so many excellent benefits, people nowadays prefer to store their files on cloud storage solutions such as OneDrive. There are dozens of amazing benefits of that. Still, some of the best ones include the ability to share files with others easily, sync your files and folders across multiple devices, and the ability to collaborate easily online.
OneDrive, as a cloud storage solution, was primarily designed as a part of the Microsoft Office suite. Hence, it offers plenty of collaboration options, making the file-sharing process extremely simple and intuitive.
Now, even though this entire process is extremely simple and easy to do, first-time OneDrive users may find the file-sharing function a bit challenging. Therefore, we recommend you follow the below-shared guides to easily understand how to use OneDrive’s file-sharing function very easily –
1. Create OneDrive Share Link
This is my favorite method to share documents or files on OneDrive because it lets you share your files with multiple people, even if you don’t have their email accounts. As a blogger, I use this technique to share files with my readers through email newsletters, but you can use this technique in plenty of other ways.
Along with sharing files, you can allow people to edit them. However, remember that it is one of the least secure ways of OneDrive file sharing, as anybody can forward that link to other people, and people without your consent can access your files.
To use this method to share your files, you can follow these simple steps –
- First of all, make sure you have signed in to OneDrive using your OneDrive/Microsoft account credentials.
- Now, locate and select the file or document you want to share. You can also select multiple files if you want to send them all at once.
- Upon selecting, right-click on any of the selected files, and click on the Share option from the context menu. Alternatively, you may see a Share button at the top bar of your OneDrive website.
- A Send Link dialogue box will appear on your screen. If you want to keep all the settings default, you can skip the next step. However, we recommend you click on the Anyone with the link can edit option for better privacy control.
- This will open the Link Setting dialogue box. Here, you have to click on the Anyone with the link option and click on the Apply button. Make sure you have enabled the Allow editing option if you want to give edit permission to the recipients.
- Once you click the Apply button, you will return to the Send Link dialogue box.
- Lastly, click on the Copy button, and the link will be copied to your clipboard.
That’s it. Now you can share this link with whoever you want to, and they will be able to access our OneDrive files.
Disclaimer – Even though this is the best way to share your files and documents on OneDrive, you don’t have complete control over your files. Therefore, it’s only good if you want to share files publicly and your files don’t contain sensitive or confidential data.
2. Share files with Specific People
The guide mentioned above is great, but if you want to share documents containing sensitive information or complete control over your files, the guide shared above won’t work.
In that case, you can follow these simple steps –
- Go to OneDrive and log in using your account credentials.
- Locate the files that you want to share and select them.
- Click on the three vertical dots, and click on the Share option from the drop-down menu.
- This will open a Send Link dialogue box. Here, you must click on the Anyone with the link can edit option.
- The Link Setting option will appear. You must click on the Specific People option and the Apply button.
- It will take you back to the Send Link dialogue box. Here, in the To field, you have to provide the email addresses of the recipients you would like to share your files and documents.
- You also get the option to add a customized message and after that, click on the Send button.
That’s it. Your files and documents are now shared with the people you want to.
Even though this technique is a bit time-consuming compared to the first one, it gives you better control over the privacy of your files. Besides that, no one except you can make a copy of your files or send them to someone else without informing you.
Bonus – Share files and folders on OneDrive for Business
Sharing files and documents individually is great, but what if you work in a collaborative workspace and you often need to share files and documents with a set of people?
In that case, you can share folders directly, and people who will have access to the folder will automatically get access to all of the files and subfolders inside it.
In this tutorial, we demonstrated it on OneDrive for Business, but you can also use it for your home or personal accounts.
So, here is how you can do that –
- Log in to your OneDrive account.
- Select the folder that you want to share.
- Right-click on it, and click on the Share option from the drop-down menu.
- The Send Link dialogue box will appear. Here, you get four options –
- Anyone with the link
- People in your organization with the link
- People with existing access
- Specific people
- Select your desired settings, such as expiration date, password protection, editing permissions, and more and after that, click on the Apply button.
After that, your files will be shared with the people you selected.
Now, let me explain what those four options mean –
1. Anyone with the link
This option is self-explanatory. It will create a shareable link for you that you can share with people you want, and they will be able to access the files and folders inside that folder.
They must have a OneDrive account to make changes if you allow editing.
2. People in your organization with the link
Similar to the option mentioned above, this will also help you create a shareable link, protecting your folder from unauthorized access. Only people in your organization will be able to access the folder.
3. People with existing access
Let’s say you already provided some people access to that specific folder, but they cannot see it. In that case, you can use this option to create a link you can share with them so they can access that folder.
4. Share with specific people
This option lets you add emails of the recipients you want to share that folder with. This option gives you the most control over your files and folders, and if you share some personal documents, I recommend this option.
There you have it – a detailed article covering how to share a document on OneDrive.
In the article, we tried to cover all the possible methods you can follow to share documents and files on OneDrive. Sharing files, folders, or documents on OneDrive isn’t rocket science, but having guided information is not bad.
With that said, here I am wrapping up this article. If you feel we missed something or if you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to shoot them in the comment section below. Our team will try to respond ASAP.
You may like the following onedrive tutorials:
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.