Are you an Android user? Did you accidentally delete an important text message? Well, you may think that it’s gone for the good. For a long time, there has been no way to get back a text message that’s deleted from your Android device. However, it doesn’t have to be that way anymore.
As the technology becomes more advanced, you have a solution around everything, even restoring your text messages. You must surely be delighted to know that there’s a workaround and are wondering how exactly?
Well, the answer is through your Google Drive. Have a read further to find everything you need to know on how to restore text messages from Google Drive!
How to Restore Text Messages from Google Drive?
Google Drive has been the perfect data storage solution. It’s brilliant how it can accommodate all your files, photos, videos, documents, and almost every other media file.
Moreover, you can use it for storing your backups from WhatsApp and other applications. Well, these backups include your text messages as well, and these backups are what will help you restore text messages from Google Drive.
Talking about that, you need to make sure that your device is constantly taking backups of your text message on your Google Drive.
So, before we get to know how to restore your SMS, let’s have a look at how to make sure that they can be restored in the first place.
Read How to Remove User from All Files in Google Drive
How to Backup Your Text Messages on Google Drive?
Generally, Android devices have an auto-backup feature. But you still need to make sure that it’s enabled on your device.
Moreover, it’s always better to keep taking manual backups every now and then, just to be sure.
Also, it’s important also because as newer backups take space on your Google Drive, the older ones get deleted. So, you want to make sure that the latest backup has it all so that none of your messages go missing in any circumstance whatsoever.
So, here’s how you take backup of your text messages on Google Drive-
- Go to “Settings” on your phone and tap on “Google” from there.
- After that, tap on the “Backup” option from the further list of menus.
- On the next page, tap on the “Backup Now” button.
And you’re done. All your device data shall be saved as a backup on your Google Drive. You can check it by going to your Drive.
Just log in to your Google Drive and tap on the “Backups” option in the menu. Here, you can see the details of all the recent backups.
However, that’s what you can see, just when the last backup was taken. What’s in those backups isn’t visible from here, and if you want to see that, you’ll need to access the same by restoring those backups.
This brings us to our original question about how to restore text messages from Google Drive. So, let’s finally get to that!
Read How to Backup Contacts to Google Drive
Restoring Text Messages from Google Drive
Well, there are several ways you could use to restore your text messages from Google Drive. Let’s have a look at each of the methods one after the other.
Method 1- Factory Reset
This is the easiest method of restoring your text messages from Google Drive. You just need to reset your phone and then restore the backup from your Google Drive after the reset is complete.
Here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Open your Phone Settings.
- Go to the Backup and Reset option. If that’s not the option you can find on your phone, try finding the “Accounts and Backup” option or any other option that is similar to these. Tap on whatever option you can find on your device.
- In the next menu, you’ll either find an option to erase all your data or some advanced settings with the option to reset the device. If you can find the “Erase All Data” option and confirm the reset. If you find a “Reset” option in advanced settings, tap on it, and from there, choose “Factory Reset” and confirm when prompted.
- The reset will get complete, and your phone shall reboot. Once your phone is turned on again, go to the same options, i.e., Settings->Accounts and Backup.
- Now, you’ll see a different menu here, tap on “Google” and log in to the Google Account wherein you had saved the Backups on your Drive.
- On the next screen, you’ll see an option for “Sync”. Tap on this option and further select all the data that you would like to restore from backups, and once you’ve selected the options, finally tap on the “Restore all synced data” option.
This shall do the work for you, and you’ll find all the deleted text messages on your device.
However, factory reset deletes all the current data on your device. So, before you perform the reset, make sure that you have a backup of everything in there so that the data doesn’t get lost.
Read How to Automatically Backup Photos to Google Drive
Method 2- Contacting Google Drive Support
Well, you might not want to perform a factory reset on your device. In that case, if your lost text message is very important and you need it back at all costs, you can go ahead and contact the Google Drive Support team.
You can find the Contact Us option in the menu on your Google Drive. As you’ll select the option, you shall see different ways you can contact the support team.
Select your preferred method, explain the issue to the concerned person, and the support personnel will try and help you out of the jam.
However, this method is not full proof and can take a lot of time. In fact, at times, you may come out with no solution either. So, it’s just a simple try to see if anything can be done at last, after you’ve tried every other thing.
So, that’s all about how to restore text messages from Google Drive. It’s easy and simple, only that you need to be careful. Hope it helped!
Related Google Drive tutorials:
- 7 Best Chrome Extensions for Google Drive
- Why is Google Drive So Slow?
- How to Fax from Google Drive
- 10 Best Google Drive Add-Ons to increase your Productivity
- 4 Best Google Drive Clients for Linux
- How to Delete PDF Files from Google Drive
Hello, my name is Shirley. I’m a Google Drive expert and have been working with the platform since it launched. I’ve written extensively about Google Drive tips and tricks, and have created numerous tutorials on how to get the most out of the platform. I also enjoy creating tutorials to help people learn how to use Drive like pros. Read more