Moving files and folders from Dropbox to OneDrive is the best way to clear up space in Dropbox and easily accessible across Microsoft products. Check the below article on how to move files from Dropbox to OneDrive.
When I was using Dropbox, the free space of 2 GB provided by Dropbox was not satisfying me. So, I was looking for another cloud storage similar to Dropbox and came to know about OneDrive.
OneDrive has similar features to Dropbox and the added advantage of OneDrive is it offers free storage space of 5 GB. Here, I have shared my experience of moving files and folders from Dropbox to OneDrive.
The headings that we are going to see in this article are:
- How to move files from Dropbox to OneDrive on Mac
- How to move files from Dropbox to OneDrive on Windows
- How to move multiple files from Dropbox to OneDrive
How to Move Files from Dropbox to OneDrive on Mac
The reason for choosing OneDrive over Dropbox is because the free space allowed by OneDrive (5 GB) is more than the Dropbox space (2 GB).
- Open the Dropbox account on the Mac device and click the Settings icon at the top right of the Mac menubar.
- The settings tab drops down, click the preferences option.
- Select the Dropbox folder in which we want to migrate to OneDrive by Dropbox sync.
- Choose folders to sync under the Sync tab. These folders will sync to the location of the selected Dropbox folder.
- Click Update after selecting individual folders or multiple folders to sync.
- The files in synced folders will appear in the Dropbox folder location.
- Now drag the files and folders from Dropbox to OneDrive, and keep both Dropbox and OneDrive running to complete the syncing.
- We will be prompted to remove the folders from Dropbox and all devices to OneDrive.
- Then click Move out of Dropbox and we can see the files and folders in OneDrive.
- There will be a message displayed at the top right of the menu bar in OneDrive if the transfer is successful.
Delete the unwanted files and folders from the Dropbox account so it can be closed.
How to Move Files from Dropbox to OneDrive on Windows
There are two ways by which we can move the files from Dropbox to OneDrive on windows:
- Download and Upload from Dropbox to OneDrive using Browser
- Transfer Files From Dropbox to OneDrive using Windows Explorer
Download and Upload from Dropbox to OneDrive Using Browser
We can only download and upload a file from Dropbox to OneDrive.
- Sign in to the Dropbox account from web browsers Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet explorer.
- Click Create option and select the Folder option on the Dropbox home page to create a new folder in Dropbox.
- Click the Upload and click the Files option on the same page.
- Select the file then move the selected file to the new Dropbox folder as shown in the below image.
- Click the three horizontal ellipses near the file and press the Download option.
- Now open the OneDrive account.
- Click Upload on the upload page and hit the Files option.
- Select the file downloaded from Dropbox and the file will be uploaded to OneDrive.
- Once downloaded to the local PC, the new folder will be converted into a .zip file. You must first extract the .zip file if you wish to immediately upload a folder to OneDrive.
Read: How to Convert Dropbox Files? [4 Ways]
Transfer Files from Dropbox to OneDrive using Windows Explorer
To move the files from Dropbox to OneDrive follow the below points.
- Install both OneDrive and Dropbox apps on the Windows desktop.
- After installation, both Dropbox and OneDrive will be available in Windows file explorer.
- Then select the file from Dropbox and right click the mouse pointer and select the Cut option.
- Go to OneDrive in file explorer right click the mouse and select the Paste option.
Follow the above steps to move the files from Dropbox to OneDrive. This is how we can transfer files from Dropbox to OneDrive.
Click to read: How to Save Outlook Email to Dropbox? [11 Explanations]
How to Move Multiple Files from Dropbox to OneDrive
The folders from DropBox will be downloaded as a compressed zip file. Therefore, before copying the contents to OneDrive, extract them from the zip folder.
- Open the Dropbox account and click the All Files option on the left sidebar of Dropbox.
- In the all files page, select the file and click the horizontal dots near the selected file, the horizontal dots pop down, and click the Download option.
- Continue the same procedure for all the files to upload in OneDrive from Dropbox.
- The files will be downloaded in the .zip format. To upload multiple files to OneDrive first extract the files from the .zip format in the hard drive.
- When we open a ZIP file for the first time, the file will immediately be unzipped because Mac and Windows devices both have built-in file compression tools.
- Now, open OneDrive and create a new folder by clicking New and Folder in the drop-down icon, or selecting the existing folder to upload the Dropbox files.
- After selecting the folder, click the Upload option at the top in OneDrive and select the files to upload from the device.
- Once selecting the files, Click Upload.
Your chosen files have now been uploaded to OneDrive. Don’t forget to remove the downloaded files from your hard disc. Or they will continue to occupy space because they have been duplicated and stay there.
Topic of how to move files and folders from Dropbox to OneDrive using Mac, Browser, and windows has been talked about in this article.
I hope the article contains enough information that you were looking for moving the files to OneDrive. We can download the file from Dropbox and upload to OneDrive the files from the browser.
In windows, we can cut and paste the files from Dropbox to OneDrive. We can also transfer multiple files in a single attempt from Dropbox to OneDrive.
To know more about Dropbox check the below articles:
- How to Lock and Unlock a File in Dropbox? [Mac, Windows, Web Browser]
- How to Upload Videos or Photos from Dropbox to Social Media Apps? [YouTube, Facebook, Instagram]
- How to See File Size in Dropbox? [3 Different Ways]
- How to Organize Photos in Dropbox? [Web Browser, iPhone, Android]
- How to Remove Dropbox Folder Without Deleting? [3 Different Ways]
Hello, my name is Lucas and I’m a Dropbox user and expert. I’m from the United States of America, specifically in New York. I love staying up to date on the latest tips and tricks, and helping others learn how to use Dropbox like a pro. In addition to being an avid Dropbox user, I also have a background in cloud storage platforms. I love creating how-to tutorials on everything from setting up Dropbox folders to automating file backups. Learn More About Me