Graphs are helpful while trying to explain complicated data. As you know there are different types of graphs used and inserting them is not very difficult. This tutorial looks at How to make a line graph in Word online.
To insert a line graph into a Word online document click on Insert in the top ribbon. Click on the section titled Graph and you will have a dropdown menu. From the options click on Line. Choose the format to add the data and you are good to go.
How to make a line graph in Word Online?
Here are the steps you can follow to add a line graph to the document you are working on.
- Locate and open the document you would like to work with
- Gather the necessary information that needs to be represented
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document
- Select graph. You will then have a dropdown menu. This menu contains the different types of graphs that can be added to the document.
- Click on Line. You will then have another menu with different formatting options.
- Select the one you would like to add to the document.
Once you have selected the type of graph an Excel sheet will pop up.
- Plug in the information you need to represent.
Here you can add categories and values based on the data that needs to be represented.
Now go back to the Word document
- You will see a graph on your screen with all the information that was added.
To make changes to the graph click on it to select. This will activate the Chart Design tab. Use this tab to format the graph.
The graph added to your Word document can be edited at any time using the Edit Data in Excel option available. You can also change the color and design of the graph.
Can you make graphs on Word Online?
Word online, is a free software that allows users to create and share Word documents. You can perform basic tasks using word online. Adding a chart or graph, however, is not one of them.
You cannot use Word online to add a graph to a document. For this, you will need to subscribe to Office 365. By doing this you can get all the features of the desktop version of Word along with the convenience of using it from anywhere using the internet.
There is, however, a word around. You can use Excel online to create the graph and then copy and paste it into your Word online document.
The only drawback is that you cannot make changes to the graph. You will need to go back to Excel > Edit the graph and > repaste it into the Word online document.
How do I edit a graph in Office 365?
Adding graphs to a document is a simple task.
But what if you want to edit it?
Don’t worry we have you covered, here are the steps you can follow.
- Click on the Graph to select it.
- You will see a tab in the top ribbon titled Chart Design
- Click on Chart Design
- From the options, select Edit Data in Excel
You will now have an Excel sheet open. Click on the cell that you would like to edit and type in the new information.
- After you have made the changes close the excel sheet.
- All the changes will reflect in the chart
You can edit the data as many times as you like. Simply plug in the information in the Excel sheet and Word will do the rest.
How do you make an XY-axis graph in Word?
An XY-axis graph is used to represent data. Here is how you can add one to the Word document you are working on.
- Open the document you would like to add the XY-axis graph to.
- Move the cursor where you would like the graph to appear.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document over the working area.
- From the dropdown menu select Line.
- You will now have a menu on the right, choose the format you like.
You will now have an excel sheet
- Specify the data that will appear on the X and Y axis of the graph.
- Add the data that you would want to represent
- Now close the Excel sheet
- The graph will show up on the document
- Use the Chart Design tab to format the XY graph.
How to add Data Labels in a Line Graph in Word?
Data labels are important when you would like to highlight information that the chart represents. This can be values or other information the chart is based on.
In most cases, they are not added to the graph and need to be activated. Here is how to activate Data Labels in a Line graph added to your document.
- Click on the chart to select it
- Go to the Chart Design tab in the top ribbon of the document
- Select Add Chart Element from the options. You will have a drop-down menu with all the elements that can be added to the document.
- Select Data Labels. You will now have a menu on the right.
- From here select the position of the labels.
after you have selected the position the menu will close and you will see labels on the graph. You can change the position by repeating the steps and choosing another position. You can also remove labels by selecting None.
How do you put a graph on Microsoft Word Mobile?
Microsoft Word Mobile has limited formatting options like Word online. Here is how you can add a graph to the document you are working on from your phone or tablet.
- Download Microsoft Word on your device. You will also need Microsoft Excel. An easier option is to download office online and log in to your account.
- Open Microsoft Excel
- Tap on the edit option
- From the menu go to insert and select graph.
- You can now add the data that needs to be represented.
- Once the graph is ready select it
- Select the copy option
Close the excel sheet and go to Word
- Tap on the spot where you would like to add the graph
- Paste the graph
You will now have a graph added to the document. To edit the graph go back to Excel make the desired changes and follow the copy-and-paste process.
This tutorial article took you through how to make a line graph in Word Online. It looked at how to edit the graph and also discussed a walk-around for Word online. Lastly, it looked at how to add an XY graph to the document and how to add graphs on phones and tablets.
As Word online and the mobile versions of Word online do not have the option to add graphs you can do it using Excel. Create the graph in Excel and then paste it into the document. The only drawback is that you will need to delete the graph and re-paste a new one for all edits.
You may also like the following Microsoft Word Online tutorials:
- How to stretch an image full width in Word Online?
- How to make a picture as a background in word online?
- How to make a speech bubble on Word Online?
- How to make Word Online table of contents hyperlink?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.