Captions are used in documents to explain the picture, table or illustration inserted. It is displayed under the image and is great for clarity and presentation. In this tutorial article, we will take you through how to insert captions in word online.
To add a caption to a word online document you will need to use the desktop application. Click on References in the top ribbon of the document. Under reference, you will see the Insert Captions icon. Click on it, add the caption to the popup menu and click on OK.
How to insert captions in word online?
Captions are great when it comes to giving a brief about the image, table, or illustration added to the document. When it comes to adding a caption to a word online document it needs to be done on the desktop application.
Here are the steps you can follow to insert a caption into a word online document.
- Login to word online and locate the document you would like to edit.
- As it is not possible to add captions using word online you will need to download the document. Once downloaded you can open the document in the desktop version of Word.
- Click on the image that requires a caption
- Go to References in the top ribbon of the document
- From among the options available click on and select Insert Caption.
- You will have a popup menu.
- Start by typing the caption in the topmost blank space.
- You then add a label. Choose from between figure, table, or equation. You can also add a new label.
- The label can be either included or excluded from the caption.
- Specify the position of the Caption.
- Click on Numbering to format it
- You will have a popup menu with formatting options.
- Cations in word come with a numbering option where you can assign numbers to the captions. This is especially helpful when the images or illustrations are part of a series or a group of images.
- Click on OK to save the changes. you will go back to the main caption menu
- There is also an option where you can add captions to the picture automatically
- Once you have made the changes and specified what you would like to add to the text you can click on OK.
How to group a caption and a picture in Word?
When it comes to moving images around in a document or wrapping text around an image captions can become a hindrance. Hence it is better to combine the image and the caption. This is called grouping.
In the section above we explored how to insert captions in word online this one look into grouping the image and caption.
Once you group the caption with the image you can move it around easily or wrap it around it. Here is all you need to know to about grouping images with captions in word.
If you have already added a caption to the image you will need to delete it. Click on the caption and hit the delete key. You will start with the text wrapping tool.
- Click on the image that requires a caption. It will get selected. Now right-click on it for a menu
- Click on Wrap text from the options available. Choose from the various options
- Select the type of wrapping that would suit the text in your document.
- After you have chosen a wrap text option your text will align with the image differently.
- You can now add a caption to the image.
- You can now click on the image and add a caption to it
- Click on the References tab and select Insert caption
- use the popup menu to add the caption to the document with all the specifications you like.
- Hit ok once you have added the caption.
Here is how to group the caption with the image.
- Click on the image to select it. You will see a border around the image.
- Keep the shift key pressed and click on the Caption. It will get selected as well.
- Now right-click and select group from the dropdown menu
- Click on Group
- The image and text will now be grouped together. The image can now be moved along with the caption.
How to ungroup a caption from an image in Word?
To ungroup the image and the caption follow these steps.
- Click on the image.
- There will be a selection border around the image and caption
- Rightclick on the image
- From the dropdown menu select group
- Now select Ungroup
- The image and caption will separate
How to caption equations in Word?
If you have added an equation to the document and need to add a caption, here are the steps you can follow.
- Double click to open the document you would like to work on.
- Click on the equation that needs a caption.
- The equation will have a selection border around it
- Go to the References tab in the top ribbon of the document.
- Click on and select Insert Caption
- You will have a popup menu with a blank space to add the caption. Type in the name.
- Click on Lable and change it to Equation or add a new label that you would like to use.
- You can choose to exclude labels from the caption.
- Specify the position of the caption
- You can add numbers to the captions of the equations on your document by clicking on the Numbering sections and making the changes in the popup menu. Click ok to save the changes.
- You can check details in the captions menu and then click OK
- The caption will appear in your document either over or under the equation depending on the position you have chosen.
- If you would like to edit the caption, simply double-click on it and you will be able to edit.
How to update captions in word?
If numbers are added to captions they are updated automatically. When captions are moved or deleted you will need to update the numbering manually. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Click anywhere in the document
- Select the entire content using keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl + A for windows and Command + A for Mac.
- Rightclick for a dropdown menu
- Select Update field
- This will update the numbers in all the captions in your document.
How to replace text in a caption in Word?
If you would like to change or replace text in a caption here are the steps you can follow
- Click on the caption to select
- Doubleclick the text to edit
- The cursor will start blinking on the spot where you double-clicked.
- Delete the existing text
- Enter the edited text
Frequently asked questions
The word application for Android makes it easy to edit, share and format documents. But, adding captions is not a function that’s available. You can add the images, tables, or equations using these devices and download them onto a desktop and insert captions.
Yes, there is a keyboard shortcut to update captions. Select all the text in the document using Ctrl + A in Windows and Command + A on Mac and then press F9. All the caption numbers will be updated.
Yes, captions can be added to images, equations, and tables in Word. click on the table > go to References > Click on Insert caption. In the caption menu select table in the tabs section.
This tutorial took you through how to insert captions in word online. Captions can be added to pictures, tables, equations, and other illustrations in your document. You can add numbers to them and also automate the captioning process.
When it comes to updating numbers when you delete captions you can use the Update Field option. You can edit the caption text at any time. I hope you find this tutorial helpful.
You may like the following word online tutorials:
- How to convert a word file to PDF for free online
- How to insert a table of content in word online
- set default font in word online
- How to share word documents online
- How to save a Microsoft word document online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.