Checkboxes are a great addition to documents especially if you are collecting responses to surveys or are looking to develop a plan. You can also use it for good old to-do lists. Knowing how to add checkboxes to your document is a plus. This tutorial article takes you through How to insert a check box in Word Online.
To insert a checkbox into a Word Online document open it in the desktop application. Go to the design tab in the top ribbon of the document. Click on the checkbox icon and then on OK. The checkbox will be added to the document. this process will have to be repeated for all the checkboxes that need to be added.
How to insert a check box in Word Online?
As Word online has limited functions and formatting options checkboxes will need to be added to documents by using the desktop application. Here are the steps you can follow to insert a checkbox into a Word online document.
The process to insert a checkbox into a word document is not straightforward. Hence, it is necessary to start by adding the developer tab in the top ribbon. From there you can insert checkboxes.
Show the developer tab in Word
- To show the developer tab in Word on Mac start by clicking on Word on your home screen near the apple icon.
- You will have a dropdown menu. From the options click on Preferences
- From the Word Preferences menu click on Ribbon & Toolbar for more specific options
- On the right, you will see all the options that are checked – these are the ones that appear in the top ribbon.
- Scroll down to find “Developer”
- Click on the box next to it. A blue tick will appear
- Click on Save.
The developer option will now appear in the top ribbon of the document you are working on.
- Now that you have the Developer tab active start by clicking where you would like to add the checkbox
- Now click on the Developer tab
- From the options click on Checkbox
Repeat the process for every checkbox. Unfortunately, another checkbox will not show up once you hit enter.
How to insert a checkbox in word without the developer tab?
Word online does not have a developer tab. Here is how to add a checkbox to the document you are working on.
- Open the document you would like to work on
- Click on the spot where you would like to add the checkbox
- Go to the Home tab in the top ribbon of the document
- Under Home, you will see the Bullets option. Click on it for a dropdown menu
- You will see the Checkbox option in the dropbox. If for some reason it doesn’t appear click on Define new bullet.
- Scroll through the options and you should see the checkbox
- Click on it to insert it into the document.
To add another checkbox just hit enter.
How to insert a clickable checkbox in Word for Windows?
To insert a checkable checkbox in Word you will need to activate the developer tab and then move on to inserting the box.
Show the developer tab in Word for Windows
To activate the developer tab for Windows here are the steps to follow
- Start by clicking on File in the top ribbon of the document you would like to work on
- Click on options from the menu
- You will have a popup menu on the screen from the options on the left click on Customize Ribbon
- Under the main tabs select the Developer check box and select it
- Close the menu
You will now see the developer tab in the top ribbon of your document
Here are the steps to insert a checkbox into the document after activating the developer tab.
- Click where you need the list to appear in your document
- Start typing out the list
- Go to the developer tab in the top ribbon of the document you are working on
- Click on Check Box Content Control
- To change the default tick to an X you can go to the settings
Once you have inserted one check box either repeat the process for the other boxed or simply copy and paste it.
How to check a checkbox in Word Online?
Once you have added a checkbox to a document in the desktop version of Word online, here are the steps to follow to check it.
- Click on the checkbox that you would like to edit
- Right-click on it to open the dropdown menu
- From the options click on Properties for the menu
- Under Default values, you will see the Non-ticked and Ticked options. Click on Ticked.
- Once selected click on OK to save the changes.
This can be done to all the checkboxes that need to be edited.
How to create a print-only checklist?
A Print-only checklist is one that cannot be checked off electronically. one that you will need to print and then check manually. This type of list is great while printing to-do lists or tasks for games and other activities. Here are the steps to follow.
- For Word online click on the spot where you want to add the list
- Start typing out the list
- Click on Home in the top ribbon of the document
- Go to the bullets section and click on the arrow for a dropdown menu
- From the menu click on the checkbox
- You can then continue to add items to the list by hitting enter.
If you have the entire list prepared just select the list and follow the steps listed above. These steps can be followed if you are using the desktop version of Word online on both Windows and Mac systems.
This tutorial article looked at how to insert a check box in Word Online. It also looked at how to insert a checkbox into a document on Mac and Windows systems. Along with this, the article looked at how to edit the checkbox inserted into the document.
We hope you found this article interesting and useful. Check out similar articles here.
- How to stretch an image full width in Word Online?
- How to make a picture as a background in word online?
- White space between pages in Word Online
- How to set double spacing in word online?
- How to do small caps in Word Online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.