Word online is specifically created for collaboration. You can easily create and share documents using the formatting tools available. This article takes you through how to unlock for shared use word online.
To allow sharing in Word online you will need to change the permissions. If you own the document you can do it by clicking on the Share in the top ribbon. You can then from the popup menu specify email addresses that can make changes to the document. You can also create a link to collaborate.
How to unlock for shared use word online?
To unlock for shared use and enable editing is the same thing. If you are collaborating with someone you need to give them access to edit the document. Here is a step-to-step guide on how to enable editing in Word Online.
- Login to Office online and open the word online document that you would like to share.
- Once you have the document open click on the Share icon on the extreme right.
- After you have selected share you will have a popup menu.
- Using this menu you can send the word document to people.
- You can type in the name or email id of the people you want to share the document with and click on send.
- If you want to make changes in the permissions click on the arrow in the copy link section.
- This will open a link settings menu.
- Using this menu you can specify who can access the word document and the various permissions those who have access to the document have.
- Check the box next to Allow editing if you want the person to be able to edit the document.
- After all the changes are made click on Apply.
How do you unlock a Word document that is locked for editing?
If you own the document or if you are the one who created the document, it is easy to unlock a Word document that is locked for editing. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by logging in to Office online and opening the document you would like to edit.
- If you are in Viewing mode you will see a screen like this.
- Click on Edit document. You will have a dropdown menu
- From the options available click on Edit.
- You will now have the top ribbon activated in the document.
To switch modes while on a document click on the button near help in the top ribbon of the document.
- Here you are already in the Editing mode. But, if you click on the arrow you will have a dropdown menu with options.
- From these options, you can change the mode in the word online document.
Why is my Microsoft Word locked and won’t let me type?
There are a few reasons that may cause you to have an issue with a Word online document. Here are the reasons you cannot edit a document and the possible solutions.
You cannot type in Word or edit it because a second version of the file is open
While collaborating on a document this is a common problem. When two or more people try to access the document at the same time it sometimes restricts editing. here is what you can do about this.
- Check if other users have the file open.
- Ask all the users to exit the document.
- You will need to exit the document as well
- Go to Office online and open the document again.
- You should be able to use all the features using this simple hack.
The file you are trying to edit is protected
If you are using the desktop version of Word you might have the protect option activated. Here is how to deactivate protection on your document.
- Open the document you would like to edit
- Go to the Review tab in the top menu of the document.
- Click on Protect. You will have a dropdown menu
- Select Stop Protecting.
- You might have to enter the password used to protect the document.
- Click on ok. You will now be able to edit the document.
Email attachment opening in reading view
Another reason why you cannot open a file may be because of the setting while sending it. As a recipient, you might not be able to do much but you can surely get the person sending the document to make the necessary changes.
Here are the steps you can follow.
- Locate and open the word document you would like to send as an attachment
- Click on File in the top ribbon of the document.
- Go to Options at the bottom of the menu
- Click on General on the Left for options on the right
- Scroll down to Startup options. You will have various options to choose from
- To be able to edit documents you will need to uncheck the box next to the option ‘Open e-mail attachments and other uneditable files in reading view
- Click on OK
You can now send the word online document without stressing about it going as a read-only file.
Cannot edit it because the file is read-only
It may so happen that the file saved is read-only. Here is how you can make sure that the file is not read-only.
- Locate the document you would like to edit
- Once you have the document right click on it
- Click on Properties
- Make sure the box next to Read-only is not ticked.
- Click on Apply
- Now click on OK.
What to do with the error “The document is locked for editing by another user”?
If you have an error message popping up every time you try to edit it here is what can be done.
- First, make sure that other users do not have the document open.
- If they do ask them to shut the document. You will need to exit it as well.
- After all the users have exited the document you can reopen it.
By doing this you will be able to edit the word document. If you are not the owner of the document it can be possible that you do not have editing permission. The best way to fix this is by asking the owner to grant editing access.
This tutorial took you through how to unlock for shared use word online. It looked at the various ways you can access a document and make sure it is not a read-only file.
Similar tutorials on word online you may like to read:
- How to edit a Word document on mac?
- How do you put a different background on each page in Word Online?
- turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word online
- How to print Word doc with comments on word online
- How to adjust the cell height in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.