We all have a go-to font when it comes to documents. Either that or we need to have documents in fonts that are specified by either the university or the place we work at. If this is the case then having to change the font every time you start working on a document is surely inconvenient. this article takes you through how to set default font in word online.
How to set default font in word online? Unfortunately, as word online has limited features, you cannot change the default font in the online version. You will need to use the desktop application. Click on home > go to fonts > click on the arrow at the bottom > choose the font you would like > select the options that suit your needs and > click on OK
Setting default font in word online
As word online does not come with advanced options like setting a default font. This section will focus on workarounds.
If you do not have the Word desktop application and still want to have a default font here is what can be done.
- Open word online on your computer. You can either log in to one drive or log in to wordonline.com.
- After logging in you can either choose a file you would like to work with or start a new document.
- Click on Home
- Under home, you will have a number of options go to the fonts section
- Click on the arrow near the name of the font chosen
- You will now have a drop-down menu
- Here you have two main sections Most recently used and Pinned fonts
- Both these sections can be customized one is a default function and the other can be manually customized.
- The Most Recently Used section will record all the fonts you have used in documents in the recent past.
- The Pinned fonts section on the other hand will save you the trouble of looking for specific fonts.
- Use the pinned fonts whenever you open word online and require a particular font.
How to pin fonts in word online?
Pinning a font in word online is a workaround setting a default font. Here you only need to search specific fonts once and then pin them. You can then use the same font whenever required without taking the trouble of looking for it.
Follow these steps to pin a font in word online.
- Open word online on your computer. you can either sign in using the browser or you can use the one drive application.
- Once you have the document open go to the Home section
- And click on the arrow near the font being used to open a dropdown menu.
- The first section titled Most recently used on top contains fonts that you have recently used
- The second section titled Pinned Fonts houses all the pinned fonts
- Office fonts are the third section that contains all the fonts installed in word online.
- The fonts that you would like to pin need to be picked from the third section. Simply hover the mouse on the left of the font. you will see a Pin font option popping up with a white pin.
- Click on the pin
- once clicked the font will show up in the pinned fonts section. you can access the fonts whenever required from this section.
- To unpin a font hover your mouse on the left of the already pinned fonts.
- A black pin along with an unpin tag will show up.
- Click on the tab to unpin the font from this section.
How to set default font in word online?
If you are not in favor of changing the font every time you open a new document, you can opt for a licensed version of windows. This will give you access to a desktop application that comes loaded with all basic features like word online coupled with premium features.
Follow these steps to set a default font in word online
- Open the Word (the desktop application)
- choose a document you want to work with or create a new document.
- Click on Home
- You will find a number of options under home go to the Font section
- Click on the arrow to open a popup menu
- The popup menu comes equipped with various options. Stick to the Font section
- Here you will find a section on the various fonts available.
- Scroll down to find the font you want to set as a default.
- you can select a specific font style and size as well.
- if you need a specific font color change it from the section titles font color.
- you can also underline the font and change the color of the underline
- lastly select an effect you want to add to the text.
- if you do not want to use the options mentioned above just leave it blank only change things that you require.
- once you are satisfied with your selection click on Set As Default
You will now have a pop-up window with two options
- This document only – Means that the changes or the fonts selected in the previous section will be saved only for the document you are working on.
- All documents based on the normal template – this is the option you need to choose. this says that all the documents you create in the default or the template selected will have the font specified in the previous section.
once you have selected the option you require click on OK. be sure to close the program and reopen it to check if it has saved all the desired changes.
Frequently asked questions
As word online has only a few features, setting a font as default on an android device won’t be possible. you can however pin fonts on your desktop or laptop and use them from your phone.
To add default font in word on mac OS here is what you can do
Go to Format > Fonts > Font
You can also hold + D to open the font dialogue box
Chose the font you would like to set as default and click on Default
Click OK once you are done
Hope you found this article helpful, it took you through
- How to set default font in word online
- Setting default font in word online
- How to pin fonts in word online?
- How to set default font in word?
- Can you set a default font on android devices?
- How to add a default font on mac OS?
Check out other tutorial articles here
- How to add a header in word online?
- How to select words in word online
- Different chart types available in Word Online
- How to insert a cover page in word online
- How to make an online form in Word
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.