Isn’t it frustrating when you edit a document but miss out on a few important points? You are sure you had them in other versions of the document, but how do you retrieve them? This tutorial takes you through how to see edit history in word online to reduce the stress.
Can you view edit history on Word online? Yes, viewing the edit history of documents in word online is possible. All you need to do is open the document you would like to retrieve information about, go into the File menu. Once in the menu go down to Info and select Version history.
Can you see the editing history of a Word document?
The editing history of a word online document comes in handy when you would like to look at the alterations made. You can use this feature to go back to previous versions of the document. You could also use it as a guide to review changes made to the document.
In word online it is possible to view the editing history of a word online document by following these simple steps.
- Start by opening the document you would like to work on. Documents on word online can be found by logging in to the officeonline website. You can also login to onedrive and access documents you have been working on from there.
- Once you have the document open start by clicking on the File option on the top ribbon.
- Clicking on the File option will take you to the home screen of the word document.
- Scroll down to Info on the blue pannel on the left side of your screen
- On the right you will now have various options to choose from. You can choose to open the document in the desktop application. You could also protect the document. Here what we are concerned about it viewing previous versions of the document.
- For this you will need to click on the third option ‘ Version History’.
How to use version history for documents in Office
The Version History option in word online is used to view previous versions of the document. This could mean viewing all the edits made in the document or the number of times the document has been viewed and or edited.
Once you have opened the document you are working on. Click on the File to open the menu. From here click on Info, The Version History is the third option in this menu.
Once you click on this you will find a list of all the edits made to the document. This menu shows up on the right of the screen.
If you look closely at the edits menu you will see that it captures in detail the following:
- The Date of the Edit – This gives you a fair idea of when the document was opened and edited.
- The Time of the Edit – this is particularly helpful when you open the document multiple times in a day. You can with this choose the right version.
- The Person who edited the document – this is the best part as you will be able to see who made the said edits to the document. You can then review the edits.
- There is also a toggle button to turn on and off the show changes option.
To open a particular version, simply click on the version you would like to open. You will in no time have the document in front of you. You can then make the necessary edits. This will then show in the Version history the next time you visit the info section.
Check out How to change language in word online
How to see edit history in word online on an Android device?
If you are someone like me you will surely use your phone to edit and view documents. With word online it has become extremely convenient to review files on the go. Here is how you can check the edit history of word online documents on an Android device.
- Start by locating the document you would like to edit. Documents can be found on officeonline or in the one drive application. You can also use the word application available on the play store for Android devices.
- Once you have the document in front of you tap on it. you willnow have it open
- Now on the top of your screen you will have various options. Tap on the three dots for a menu at the bottom.
- This menu consists of various options right from reading the document out loud to printing it. Select History
- Hhistory is nothing but the edit history or versions of the document.
- Under History you will see the edits listed according to dates. You will see the time of the edit and who has modified the document.
- To open a specific document version simply tap on it.
- You can now view the changes made.
How to use Version History for word online documents on One Drive?
When you log in to OneDrive you get an overview of all the documents you have saved. Once in the folder, you will see all the documents under My files. You can also visit the recent folder to check for documents recently edited.
You from here will be able to see everything about the document. This includes the name of the person who has modified the document the date, the size of the document. This section most importantly tells the user if the document is private or shared.
If you need to view the version history of a word document from the one drive folder here is what you can do
- Right-click on the file you require
- Scroll down to Version History
- Click on Version History
- You will not have a list of all the versions available
- Cloose the one you would like to restore your document to.
How to view previous versions of a word online document on Mac OS?
Here is how you can view and restore previous versions of word online documents on macOS
- Open the document that you would like to edit or restore
- Select the name of the word document if you are using Microsoft 365 for Mac.
- You can then select Browse Version History from the options available
- If you are using office 2016 or 2019 for Mac you will need to go to the File menu and select Browse Version History.
- The various versions of the document will show up in a separate window
- Click on the one you would like to view or restore.
How to check version history in Word online?
Every version created in word online is saved. You can view the various versions created and revert to a previous version. Here is how you can check the previous versions of the document you are working on in Word online.
- Start by opening the document you need to view the history for.
- In the top ribbon you will see the various formatting options and right on top is a slot with the name of the document.
- Click on the name of the document. You will now have a drop-down menu.
- From here you can edit the name of the document and also view the Edit History. Click on Version History
- You will now have the different versions of the document listed on the right side of your screen.
- Here you can see the version, the date edited, and the person who edited it.
- Click on the version you would like to view.
Frequently asked question
Yes, the online version of Word has an option where you can review and restore previous versions of the document. This option can be found in the File section under info. All you need to do is click on the Version History option. YOu will then have a list of edits made and versions available. simply click on the version you would like to restore.
Hope you found this tutorial helpful. It took you through
- How to see edit history in word online?
- Can you see the editing history of a Word document?
- Using version history for documents in Office
- How to see edit history in word online on an Android device?
- Using Version History for word online documents on One Drive?
- How to view previous versions of a word online document on Mac OS?
- How to check version history in Word online?
- Does word online have a revision history option?
Check out other word online tutorial articles here
- MLA formatting in word online
- Removing the space after paragraphs in word online
- How to convert Word file into Excel file online?
- Can we add a subscript in word online?
- How to move an image on top of another on Microsoft word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.