Word online is great for working on documents and collaborating on projects. You can do so much by just login into office online. though working online is great, there comes a time when you need a local copy of the document. This article takes you through how to save word online documents to computer.
To save a word online document on your computer you will need to go to the file section of the document. Click on the Save as an option and choose the format you would like to save the document as. Finally, choose the location where this file will need to be saved. This way you will have a local copy of the document.
Can you save Office online documents to your computer?
Documents created and saved on Word online can easily be saved on your computer. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by opening the document you would like to save on your computer. You will need to log in to word online or go to the one drive folder for the document.
- Once the document is open click on File in the top ribbon.
- The file menu will take you to the main menu.
- Select the Save as option from this menu.
- You will not have a menu with options on where to save the document.
- The options in the save as menu are self-explanatory, you can make a copy online or rename the document you are working on.
- If you would like to save the document on your computer you have 3 options to choose from. You can either save the document as a Word file. This is the most common way of saving the document as you can edit the document as and when you like.
- The second option is saving the document as a PDF where you can only view the document. You will need to convert the document into word again if you need to edit it.
- The third option is converting the document into an ODT or Open Office Document file. This type of file can be opened using Libre office editor and other such programs.
- Once you click on the option of your choice you will get a window. Here you can choose the destination folder you would like to save the document in.
- Click OK after selecting the folder.
Check out this tutorial on How to track changes in word online?
How do I save Office 365 documents to my computer?
Another way of saving office 365 documents to your computer is by login into one drive. here is how it’s done.
- Start by logging in to Onedrive. you will need to use your outlook account to access the drive. There is also a desktop application available to download for free.
- Once you open the drive go to the home page.
- On the home page click on home and you will have a list of all the documents and folders you have on the drive. you can also find the document using the recent option if you have worked on the document recently. Either way, you can use the search option and search for the document within the drive.
- Now click on the document that needs to be downloaded. you will see a small blue tick on the side once you select the document.
- After selection, you can use the Download option on the top of the screen to download the document.
- On the right, you will also see the number of documents that have been selected.
- After selecting the document, you can also right-click on it for the download option.
- After you click on Download you will have a pop-up window where you can choose the destination folder. Select the location.
- You can also edit the name of the document. Be sure to choose the file type you can either use all file types or specify Microsoft word.
- You will now have the word document saved on your computer.
Related article How to add columns in word online?
Can I save an online Word document on an Android device?
Are you among those who prefer working on their phone? if yes here is how you can save the word online document you are working on, on your phone.
- Start by opening the Word online document you would like to save. You can do this from the Word application on your android device.
- When you have the document open go to the top bar and tap on the three dots for a menu at the bottom.
- From the menu select the Save as option.
- When you select the Save as option you will have a menu where you can select the location of the document. here you can choose to save it on the drive or on your device.
- Once you have selected the destination folder. Change the name of the document to what you would like to save the document as.
- Tap on Save
How do you save a Word document online on a Mac?
Here are the steps you can follow to save a word online document on your Mac device.
- Start by logging on to the website and opening the document that you need an offline copy of.
- Once you have the document open start by clicking on the File tab on the top ribbon.
- In the File menu select the Save as option. On the right, you can choose to save the document on your computer using the Download a copy option.
- You can also download the document as a pdf.
- Once you select the option you will get a popup with the desired location.
- Choose from the folders on your computer where you would like to save this document.
- Don’t forget to select save.
Saving a word online document on your computer is an easy way of having the document available to work offline. Once you are done editing you can reupload the document easily.
Hope you found this tutorial helpful it took you through
- How to save word online documents to computer
- Can you save Office online documents to your computer?
- How do I save Office 365 documents to my computer?
- Can I save an online Word document on an Android device?
- How do you save a Word document online on a Mac?
Check out similar tutorial articles here
- How to sign a document in Word Online?
- Tips on how to insert text box in word online
- Steps on how to double space in word online
- How to add page numbers in word online?
- How to delete a document in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.