When creating, editing, and collaborating using word online the files as a default are saved on the cloud. when it comes to saving a copy either on your mobile device or computer you will need a few extra steps. This tutorial article takes you through how to save a Microsoft word document online.
To save a document created using word online you will need to go to file > click on save as > select the location > change the name of the file > click on OK. You can also download a copy of the document directly from the OneDrive folder.
Saving a Microsoft word document online
Saving a document online is a default feature when it comes to working with Microsoft online. However, it may so happen that you need to have a local copy of the document. Here is how you can save a document created and edited online.
- Open OneDrive folder on your computer. You can login to the site or use the application.
- Double click on the file you would like to download
- Click on File on the top ribbon
- This will take you to file menu. The menu will open on the left with extended options on the right.
- Click on Save as for options
Under Save as you will have specific options.
- Save as (save a copy only) – as the name suggests you will be able to save a copy of the document online. you can choose the destination folder online and the file will be save there.
- Rename – with the help of this option you can rename the file
- Download a copy (download a copy to your computer) – this option will help you save the file on your computer
- Download as PDF – this option is useful if you want to convert the file into a PDF and save it on your computer
- Download as ODT – this option helps save the file to your computer as an Open office Document file.
Save a copy by clicking on Save as
- By clickin on the save as option you will be able to save a copy of the document to your computer.
- In the top field enter a name for the file
- You will then need to select the destination folder the file will be saved in
- After making your selection click on Save.
- You file will now be available on your computer.
Remember: The changes made to local copies of the document will not reflect on other devices, you will need to upload the latest edition of the document to drive if you need to collaborate.
How to save a word online document on an Android device?
To save documents to your android device follow the following steps
- Open the document you would like to save. you can use the application oe login to onedrive and open the document.
- Click on the three dots on the exteme right.
- You will have a menu on the bottom of your screen
- From the menu select save as. you can choose the save option but it will not be as helpful as save as. here you will have more options when it comes to making a local copy of the document.
- Once you choose save as you will have a number of options to choose from
- Select this device
- you will now have options in terms of the folder and specific location you want to save the file in
- select the destination folder and your file will be saved.
Fastest way to save a word online document
If you feel you do not want to take the time to go to save as. If you have many documents to download and need a shortcut this section is for u. This is the fastest way to make a local copy of word online documents
- Go to word online on your browser or login to One Drive
- Select the file you would like to make a local copy of
- The files created on microsoft online are saved under the my files folder.
- Locate the file or files you would like to make a copy of
- Select the file. you will see a blue tick on the side
- You can either choose one or multiple files
- Now select the download option on the top
- You will get a prompt to select the file location and to change the file name
- Make the desired changes and click OK
- Your file will be saved on the computer.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can make a local copy of documents created and shared on word online. for this all you need to do is open the document > click on file > go to save as > choose the file destination and save the file. You can also download the document from OneDrive either online by logging on to it from the browser or from the desktop application. simply right-click on the file and select save as > again choose the destination folder and click save.
To save a word online document follow these steps
1. Open the document you need a copy of
2. Click on File
3. Under file select Save as
4. Choose the destination folder
5. Change the name of the file
6. Click on Save.
Hope you found this tutorial article helpful. It took you through
- How to save a Microsoft word document online?
- Saving a Microsoft word document online
- How to save a word online document on an Android device?
- Fastest way to save a word online document
- How to save a word online document on Mac computers?
- Can you save documents from Microsoft Office Online?
Check out other articles here
- How to delete a document in word online?
- How to track changes in word online?
- How to put a list in alphabetical order in Microsoft word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.