Mathematical and scientific formulas or things that have trademarks on them have one thing in common subscripts. Subscripts are text, numbers, or other content that is either above or below the normal text line and is smaller as compared to the text. In this article, we will look at how to put a subscript in word online?
To add a subscript to a document, you will need to highlight the text you would like to add a subscript or superscript to. Then click on the Home tab for editing options. Then click on either subscript or superscript.
How do you do subscripts in Word Online
We have all used subscripts in some form or the other. Remember chemistry class and us wanting to write the formula for water. Little did we know then that that was a subscript we used when 2 was hanging in between H and O. Here is how you can add subscripts to your documents in word online.
The Superscript and subscript options in word online are located under the Home tab in the ribbon on top of your document. Click on home and look for them in the Font section.
- You will first need to locate the word online document you want to work on.
- Once you open the file type the text required also include the text that you would like as a Subscripted text
- Highlight the text that requires formatting
- Click on the Subscript option under Home
How to remove Subscript from text in word online?
If you wish to remove subscript from a text on word online follow the following steps.
- Highlight the Subscripted text
- You will notice the Subscript option selected
- Click on it
- The text will come back to the original text line.
How to put a subscript in word online
Superscripts are important when writing scientific documents or adding things like a trademark sign to text. Below are steps you can use to add a subscript in a word online document.
- To add a Superscript to a word online document open the document by logging onto the office online website. You can also use onedrive and locate the document from there.
- Once you have the document type in the text that you require
- Highlight the text that you would like to subscript
- Now click on the Superscript option in the Home tab
How to remove Superscript from text in word online?
If you wish to remove superscript from a text on word online follow the following steps.
- Highlight the Superscripted text
- You will notice the Superscript option selected
- Click on it
- The text will come back to the original text line.
How to add a subscript in word online on an android device?
Adding subscripts and superscripts in word online documents prepared on word online using android devices is possible. Here are the steps to follow
- Start by opening the document that needs to be edited. login from a brouser or access the document from the one drive folder.
- once you have the text ready highlight the part that needs to be a subscript. The selction tabs can be used to increase or decrease the size of the selection
- Click on the Editing icon for a menu at the bottom
- The subscript and superscript options are in the Home section
- In the Home menu scrolldown and select More Formatting
- You will now have a new menu
here you can choose either Subscript or Superscript
- Selecting Subscript will change the selected text into a smaller font and the position will be below the normal text line.
- If you select Superscript the size of the text will decrease and the selected text will move to the top of the the normal text line.
To remove subscript and superscript from the text on your android device follow these steps
- Select the subscript or super script text.
- Click on the corresponding option on the top ribbon under the Home tab
- By clicking the option the text will go back to its original formatting
Check out our article on How to insert a table of content in word online
Add a subscript in word online on an iOS device
To add a subscript or superscript to a document on an iOS device follow these steps
- Open the word online document that you would like to add a subscript or superscript to
- Once you have the document insert the text
- Select the text that needs to be converted
- Tap on the edit icon on the screen
- Go to the home tab
- scroll down to more options
- select either subscript or superscript
How to remove subscript using iOS device?
To remove subscript or superscript from your document follow these steps
- Open the word online document to be edited
- Select the text that you need to edit
- Tap on the editing icon
- Under home click on the more options
- Now unselect subscript or superscript
- Your text should come back to the original format instantly
Frequently asked questions
Select the text that needs to be formatted and press Ctrl and = (you do not need to press Shift for this)
Select the text that needs to be formatted and press Ctrl, Shift, and Plus + together.
Select the text that needs to be formatted. The commands differ a little for versions 2016 and above as compared to 2011
For 2016 you will need to use and the Equal (=) key at the same time. (Do not press Shift.)
For 2011 you will need to use and the Minus (-) key at the same time.
Select the text that you need to format and press , Shift, and the Plus sign (+) together
Hope you found this article helpful, it took you through
- Including a subscript to a word document
- How to remove Subscript from text in word online?
- Adding a superscript to a word document
- How to remove Superscript from text in word online?
- How to add a subscript in word online on an android device?
- Adding a subscript in word online on an iOS device?
- How to remove subscript using iOS device?
- What is the keyboard shortcut to add Subscript to text?
- keyboard shortcut to add Superscript to text?
- What is the keyboard shortcut to add Superscript to text on a mac device?
- keyboard shortcut to add Subscript to text on a mac device?
Check out other tutorial articles here
- How to make an online form in Word
- How to show ruler in word online
- Add columns in word online
- How to track changes in word online?
- Add page numbers in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.