Lists are a common occurrence in our lives. During events and for certain things lists take a different role where you need to arrange them in a particular order. This can be done manually or by using certain tools. This article takes you through How to put a list in alphabetical order in Microsoft word online.
How to put a list in alphabetical order in Microsoft word online? To arrange a list start by either typing the list or pasting it into a word document. Once you have the list select it. Go to the Home menu and you should see an arrange option. Select the order either ascending or descending and click OK.
How to put a list in alphabetical order in word online
Sorting data can be done by adding numbers and bullets. But arranging names or items alphabetically surely is frustrating.
Here are the steps that will help understand how to arrange the list alphabetically.
- Start by opening the word document that contains the list.
- Once you have the document either copy the text adn paste it to the desired location
- You can alternatively start typing the list. This surely is time consuming, but the bottom line is you need a list.
- Once the list is ready select the entire list.
- Now go to the Home section and select the Sort option
You will then have a popup window with two primary options ascending and descending.
By choosing Ascending the text will be converted to a list that starts with A or anything that is set.
By choosing Descending the text will be converted to a list that starts with Z or anything that is the lowest.
- The text can be sorted either way, depending on the requirement.
- After the selection is made click on OK to arrange the text.
Putting things in alphabetical order on Word on a mac device?
Mac devices are lovely to work on. If you have a list ready and are confused about how to arrange the contents alphabetically, here is what needs to be done.
- Open the document that has the list
- If its a new document you will need to insert the list. If the list is already prepared go to the document. Select the text and then paste it on another document.
- Incase you do not have a list you can start typing it firectly on the document. You can use a table to put the content in order or just type it into the document.
- Once you have the list you copy the entire list. If thats the only document on the screen you can use the kepboards shortcut Ctrl + A. If you have other text in the document simply click on the fiest letter and then drag the mouse throught the list without releaing it.
- Now that you have the list selected click on home in the top ribbon
- Click on the Sort option once you have the list selected. You will now have a popup screen.
- This popup will have information on how you would like to arrange the text.
- The options available are
- Under Sort by, select Paragraphs.
- select Text The option is next to Type
- Choose Ascending text arranged form A-Z or Descending where text is arranged from Z-A.
You can select OK once you are done selecting.
How do you alphabetize a list on word online?
Word online is great for creating lists and arranging data. You can use bullets and numbering to differentiate and organize lists. but unfortunately, it is not possible to sort a list alphabetically. if you still want to arrange the data alphabetically you have two choices
First, you do it manually – this is time-consuming and there are chances of an error especially if the list is long.
The second option is to create the list on the desktop version of Word. Here you will be able to create a list, include all the names or elements required. Then arrange it either in ascending or descending order.
once you have arranged the text all you need to do is select the list again and paste it to the word online document.
The word online document can then be shared with others. to edit the list you will need to follow a similar process.
You will need to copy the text past it on the desktop version, arranging it either in ascending or descending order. And then copying and pasting the text back on the web version.
Frequently asked questions
android devices are great for working on the go and there is a lot that can be done in terms of editing the content. Unfortunately, it is not possible to sort the list either in ascending or descending order on the phone. consider creating the list on the phone and arranging it on a desktop when you have access to one.
It is possible to create and edit lists on iOS devices but sorting the list is not possible don’t the iOS device. To sort the list it will have to be copied from the phone and pasted on a desktop. You could also in some cases email the list and then convert it using the desktop version.
Hope you found this article interesting, it took you through
- How do I put things in alphabetical order on Word?
- Putting things in alphabetical order on Word on a mac device?
- How do you alphabetize a list on word online?
- Can you arrange a list alphabetically on android devices?
- Is it possible to arrange a list alphabetically on iOS devices?
Check out other tutorial articles here
- How to move pictures in word online?
- How to add borders in word online?
- Transfer files to word online
- How to use google fonts in word online
- How to connect 3 pics into 1 in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.