Pacing text over an image does not require professional editing skills nor does it require sophisticated software. You can easily place text over an image using simple steps in word. Here is a step to step guide on how to place text over an image word online.
Start by inserting an image in your word file by one of the two options. You can either drag and drop the image or use the insert tab to add an image. once you have the image click on wrap image and select behind the text. Now insert a textbox and type in the text required. Finally, drag the text over the image.
Check out the steps on How to convert Word file into Excel file online
How to write on a picture in Word Online?
Inserting text on a picture can be done by following a few simple steps on word online. Here is what needs to be done.
Steps on how to insert a picture in word online?
Before you understand how to add text to an image in word online let’s see how to insert an image.
There are two ways in which you can insert an image into a word document. By using the insert tab on the top ribbon of the document and the other by dragging and dropping the image into the document.
How to insert an image using Insert tab in word online?
- Open the document you would like to edit. You can either login to officeonline or choose a file from onedrive. you can also login to wordonline.com and start a new blank document.
- After opening the document, click on the Insert tab on the top ribbon.
- Under Insert choose the Picture option.
- Here you will have different locations or places to choose from. You can either choose an image saved on your computer by clicking on the This device option. Or look for images over the internet.
- When you have the image selected click on OK and you will see the image on the document where the cursor is.
How to insert an image using the Drag and drop method in word?
Another way of inserting an image in a word document is by using the drag and drop method. Please note that this method only words for images saved on your computer. Here is how it is done.
- Open the document that you need to add the image to
- Now go to the folder where the image is saved
- reduce the overall size of the window in a way that the window sits over the webpage with the word online document.
- Now left click on the image you would like to insert.
- Move the move to the word document wothout releasing the click.
- You will seet that the image appears on the document.
This method might mess up the formatting of the text as the image will just get copied at a random spot. You will still need to drag the image around in the document to place it where you actually want it.
How do I insert text on a picture in a Word document
After you are done inserting the image you will need to select a text wrap option. here is how it is done.
How to select text wrap in word online?
Text wrapping is how the text in your document will look against the picture you have inserted. Start by wrapping the picture in line with the text. Here is how it is done
- Select the image by left clicking on it. You will see a border form on the image.
- You can now select the text wrap option. there are three ways of doing this
Different ways of selecting text wrap
- Right-click on the image once selected. Select Wrap Text. Click on the In line with Text option.
There are two types of ribbon layouts in word online. The options are the same in both but the placement differed. here is how to wrap text in word online using the different ribbon layouts.
Classic ribbon – In the classic ribbon, the wrap text option is under Picture. The Picture option will be visible once you click on the image. select Wrap text and select the In Line with Text option from the dropdown.
Simplified ribbon – In the simplified ribbon, you do not have as many options on display. Everything is tucked away in drop-down menus. When in the simplified ribbon mode you can go to the Picture section and select Text Wrap. The option is more towards the left.
How to insert text on picture in Word document?
After the text wrapping option is selected you can add text to the document. Follow these steps to insert text.
- Move the cursor to close to the image and click on Home
- From the options available click on Styles and select the type of text you would like to add.
- You can also create a new style format by clicking on the ‘Create New Style from Formatting’ option
- you can increase or decrease the size of the font by selecting the inserted text and adjusting it from the Home section.
- The colour and font of the text can also be changed the same way.
Now that you have the text to be added and the picture side by side. Select the picture and go back to the Wrap text option. This time select the Behind text option.
Your text should look something like this with the text on top of the image.
Use the space bar and tab keys to move the text around.
Caution: if you use Enter the entire image will shift.
We chose to move the text to the side. This is how the image looks now with text on it.
Read this article on How to remove space after paragraph in word online
How to add text on top of a photo in Word?
When it comes to the desktop application of Word you have more options. You can use the textbox option to insert text without much effort. here is how it can be done.
- Insert the picture in a similar manner as you would in the online application
- Click on the insert tab
- From here click on the Text box option
- Now choose to draw a textbox instead of selecting the options available.
- Draw the text box where you need the text to show.
- Now type in the text
- Use the Shape format menu to remove the text box background
- The Font style and size including the orientation and colour can be changed from the Home menu.
- Simply leftclick on the text and you can make the desired changes.
How to type on a Picture in Microsoft Word on Android devices?
To insert text on a picture on an Android device follow these steps
- Start by inserting a picture into the document on your word application.
- Once you have the picture in place select it
- The selected image should have a dotted frame like this to adjust the size.
- Once the image is selected click on the edit option on top.
- You will now have a menu on the bottom of your screen
- Click on the arrow near Home and select Insert
- In the Insert menu scroll down to Text box and select it
- You will see a textbox on your screen now with dummy text in it
- Tap on the box to move it around in the document. place it where you would like your text to go over the picture.
- Now double click to edit the text in the text box.
- You can choose from the different colours and sizes available.
- You can also edit the textbox according to your liking.
- Once you have all you need click on the check option to save the changes
The text wrap options can be used if you have text around the picture. it is generally used to make space for the image within the text in the document.
How to add text on top of a photo in Word on Mac?
On your Mac device, you can easily add text to pictures using Word. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Open the desktop application of word. You can either open a new document or choose to edit an existing document.
- Start by inserting an image in the document. First move the cursor to where you need the image. Then click on the Insert tab. now click on Picture. You can add a picture from your device or choose one from over the internet.
- Once you select a picture it will show in your document.
- Now the use of the text wrap wil depend on the text you already have in your document. If your document is word heavy, make sure you have wrap the text around it. You can also leave the image without text around it.
- To insert text you will nedd to inser a text box on the image. Click on Insert
- Select text box from the list and choose the Draw text box
- Now click on the image and drag the textbox across the image on the spot where you need the text to be.
- Once you have the text box in place start typing in the required text.
- The textbox can be formatted like other text in the document by using the formatting tools under Home. all you will need to do is select the text and then format it as desired.
- The text box itself can be formatted. You can chage the shape, color or even hide the box all together while only the text is visible. This can be done using the Shape format option that shows up once the textbox is selected.
- Be sure to save the changes made to the document before exiting it.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it is possible to add text to a device using an ios device. Here are the steps you can follow.
Start by inserting the image in your document
Once the image is part of the document click on the edit options for the formatting menu. You can from this menu click on Insert. From the Insert menu select text box. A textbox will now show up on the screen. Drag the box till it is in the spot where you would like the text to be added. Now tap on it to insert text.
Text that is inserted on an image using an ios device is done using a text box. This means that you will need to edit it using the formatting tools used to edit the text box. here is how it is done
Start by selecting the text by clicking on it and using the blue tabs. You will have an edit option on the top of your screen. Tap on the edit option for the menu at the bottom. from here you can change the color of the text as well as the size. you can also move the textbox around just in case you need to change the position of the text.
Hope you have a clear idea of how to insert text on a picture in Word online. This tutorial took you through
- How to write on a picture in Word?
- Steps on how to insert a picture in word online?
- inserting an image using the Insert tab?
- How to insert an image using the Drag and drop method?
- including text on a picture in a Word document
- How to place text over an image word online
- Text wrap option in word online and how to use it
- How to insert text on picture in Word document?
- adding text on top of a photo in Word?
- How to type on a Picture in Microsoft Word on Android devices?
- Steps on how to add text on top of a photo in Word on Mac?
- Can you insert text on an image in word using an ios device?
- How to format the text inserted on an image in a word document from an ios device?
Check out similar articles here
- How to change default setting in word online
- Tips on how to add a running head in word online
- Steps on how to transfer files to word online
- How to show white space in word online
- How to see edit history in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.