When you start working on a word online document as a default all the text that’s typed in is aligned on the top. This means that the text will start on the top-most line and then move lower in the document. In this tutorial article, we aim at looking at how to move the text to the bottom in word online.
To align the text on the bottom of the page in Word online you can use the enter key to move the text. If you are using the desktop application you can use the Page Layout option in Windows and the File section on Mac to align text to the bottom. Another option when it comes to moving text to the bottom is by using a text box.
How to move the text to the bottom in word online?
Word Online is a basic software and doesn’t have the advanced formatting options like its desktop counterpart. This being said you can make use of the options available and move the text to the bottom of the page. Here are some of the options you have.
Use the Enter key to move the text to the bottom
- Log in to Office online and locate the document you would like to work on.
- Once you have the document double click on it to open it.
- You can now type the content that needs to be moved to the bottom.
- Click on the line over the content so that the cursor moves there
- Now hit the Enter Key. You will notice that the text moves a line lower.
- Do this till you have the position you would finally like the text to appear in.
Note: Using this option is easy but when text is added to the top, the placement will change. You will need to use the Backspace key to reduce the space between the text and rearrange it to fit the page.
Using a text box to move the text to the bottom
Word online users have another option when it comes to moving text to the bottom of the page. They can use a text box. Here are the steps you can follow to add a textbox to the page and move the content to the bottom.
- Start by clicking on the spot in the document where you would like to add a text box. It’s ok to have a textbox at a random place you will need to place it later anyway.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- You will see an option titled Drawing click on it.
- You will now have a popup window.
- You will see Insert and Draw as two options in the popup window. Click on Insert
- You will have various options, Click on and select “Text box”.
- Drag and draw the textbox.
- You can change the color and add text to this box. Use the Shape tab to make alterations to the shape of the box. If you need to change the font color and style you can use the Text tab.
- Once you are happy with the text click on Arrange in the Shape tab.
- You will have a drop-down menu. From here you can decide how the text will look against the other text in the document.
- Click on Save and close after you have made all the changes.
After you have clicked on Save the Textbox will show in the document. You can move the box around by clicking on it and dragging it. You can also alter the size using the dots on the corners of the box.
along with this, you can rotate the box. To make changes to the box or the content double click on it and you will have the editing window.
How do I move text to the bottom in Word for Windows?
When it comes to the desktop version of Word users have more formatting options as compared to Word Online. Here is how you can move text to the bottom of the page while using Word for Windows.
Use Explorer to locate the Document and open it. Once you open the document you can use one of three methods to move text to the bottom. Here is a brief overview.
Using Enter to move text to the bottom of the page
- Type in the text you would like to move to the bottom.
- Click on the line over the text.
- Use the Enter Key to move the text from where it is to the bottom.
- You will need to Hit Enter a few times to get it done.
Note: When more text is added to the document, the placement of the text at the bottom will need to be re-adjusted.
Using a textbox to move text to the bottom of the page in Word
Adding a text box to the document is a good option. This way the text you need to add to the bottom will not be displaced and you can customize it. Here is how you can add a textbox and use it to move text to the bottom of the page.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document
- Select text box
- Click in the document and drag and place the text box.
- Add the text that you need to add to the bottom.
- Customize the text and the text box
- Right-click on the box and select wrap text.
- Select the wrapping option that fits your needs best.
After all the changes are made and saved move the text box to the bottom of the page by clicking on it and dragging it without releasing the click. The text added to the top will not affect the text inside the box. The customization and placement will remain unchanged.
Using page setup tools to move text to the bottom in Word
Another way to move text that is inserted into a Word document to the bottom is by using the Layout tab. Here is how it is done.
- Go to the Layout tab in the top ribbon of the document.
- Under layout, you will see the Page Layout section.
- Click on the tiny arrow for a popup menu.
- There are three sections to this popup menu. Click on Layout
- Under this, you will have a section titled Page. Click on the arrow for a dropdown menu.
- Select Bottom
- You now have a choice to apply this to a section that is selected or the entire document. Select the option that fits your needs best.
- Click on OK to close the menu.
Doing this will move the text to the bottom of the page.
How to move text to the bottom in ms word mac?
Moving text to the bottom of the page in an MS Word document on Mac systems is fairly simple. You can either move all the contents of the document to the bottom, or just a selected section. Whatever the text here you have three ways of doing it.
Using the page setup menu to move text to the bottom
- Open the document you would like to format. You will see extra tabs on the top bar of the screen.
- Click on File for a drop-down menu.
- Select Page Setup. You will have a popup menu
- In the top section of this menu, you can choose from Page attributes and Microsoft Word. Choose the latter.
- You will now have options that are more Word-specific.
- The next section lets you choose between applying the changes to the entire document or a selected section. Choose the one that fits your needs the best.
- Click on Margins for more options
- You will now have two tabs Margins and Layout. Click on Layout.
- Go to the Page section and click on the arrow.
- Select Bottom
- Here again, you can check the application.
- Click on OK to apply the changes made.
- Your text will now move to the bottom of the page.
Use Enter to move text to the bottom of the page in MS Word for mac
The method mentioned in the previous section is a more permanent way of aligning text to the Although, the method mentioned in this section is more time-consuming it follows fewer steps. Here is how to move the text to the bottom in word online (desktop) on Mac.
- Start by opening the document and adding the text that needs to be moved to the bottom.
- Click on the first word of the sentence or the line above
- Now kit the Enter key on your keyboard
- The text will move one line lower.
- Continue doing this till your text moves to the bottom of the page.
- Alternatively, you can move the cursor to the bottom of the page by hitting the enter key or by double clicking on the spot where you need to add the text.
- Once you have the cursor in place start typing.
The only issue with using this method is that the text will move around as new text is added to the document. You will need to keep adjusting the text at the bottom. Use Return or fn + Return.
Using a textbox to move text to the bottom of the page in Word
Using a text box is another option to move text to the bottom of the page. Here are the steps you can follow while working on a Mac system.
- Go to the Insert tab in the top ribbon of the document.
- Select Text box by clicking on the icon
- Drag and place the text box into the document
- Click inside the text box and add the text.
- Use the formatting tools to customize the text and the text box.
- Right-click on the text box and use the wrap option.
- You can now move the text box to the bottom of the document
How to move text to the bottom in Word app for phones?
Phones and tablets are convenient when it comes to working on documents on the go. Here are the steps you can follow to move text in word documents to the bottom. Start by downloading the Word application on your Android or iOS device. Log in to access files created and stored on the drive.
Using a textbox to move text to the bottom of the page
- Open the document you would to edit and enable editing.
- Go to the editing menu
- Tap on home and open the menu
- Go to Insert and scroll down to Text box
- The textbox will show up in the document.
- Add the text you require and use the formatting tools.
- Tap on the text box to select it and go to wrap text
- Make the required adjustments.
You can now move the text box to the bottom of the page.
How to move the text to the bottom in word online for phone using enter
This method can seem a little old school but it can be used to move the text to the bottom of the page. Follow these steps
- Type in the content you require
- Tap on the first letter of the sentence or the line above the content.
- Use Enter to move the text to the next line
- Keep doing this till your text reached the bottom.
The only issue with this method is that you will need to keep rearranging the text. This is because additional text added to the top will push the text lower. You can use backspace to move the text back to its original place.
This tutorial took you through how to move the text to the bottom in word online. Though Word online does not offer sophisticated formatting tools like the desktop version it still gets the job done. You can use the enter key or a textbox to get the desired formatting results.
The bottom alignment option in the desktop version is surely helpful for phones and tablets you can use a text box or the enter key to move the text to the bottom. You can also add the text as a footer. Simply add a footer and go on to edit it.
Hope you found this article helpful. Check out similar articles here.
- How to free move pictures in word online
- How to customize lists in Microsoft word online
- edit a Word document on mac
- How to hide ribbon on word online
- How to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.