Tabulated information has become an integral part of almost all official documents. While adding tables merging it becomes necessary to merge cells, either for titles, heading, etc. this tutorial takes you through how to merge cells in word online.
How to merge cells in word online? Select the cells that need to be merged > under table tools click on layout > under merge click Merge Cells. if you would like to separate cells follow the same steps and select Split Cells.
Merging cells in word online
Tables are easy to integrate into word documents online. Here is a step to step guide on inserting a table in word and merging cells.
- Open the document that needs a table inserted
- Click on insert
- select table
- wait for the prompt on the number of rows and columns
- click ok to insert the table into the document.
- Now that you have the table select the cells that you need to merge. Shift + left click / Shift + left & right arrow keys
please note: The selection process can be done either by clicking on the first one and keeping the shift key pressed clicking on other cells you want to merge it with. you could also use the arrow keys to move around the selection while the Shift key is pressed.
- After selecting the cells to be merged click on Table tools
- Under this you have two options Design and Layout. Select Layout
- The Merge cells option is under the Merge section.
- Click on Merge cells
- changes will show instantly on the document.
Separating merged cells in word online
Merging and separating cells in a table is not difficult. It can be done in a few clicks. Here is how you can separate cells in word online
- Open the document that has the table
- Select the merged cells that need to be separated
- Go to the Table Tools
- Select Layout
- The merge section has an option called Split cells
- Click on split cells and the merged cells will be separated.
when it comes to tables in word formatting options, along with merging and splitting cells you can also split a table for this all you need to do is select the potion of the table that needs to be separated > click on Table tools > Layout > Split table.
How to merge cells in word online on macOS?
Cells in the same row or column can be merged together. This is particularly helpful while presenting tabular data to clearly demarcate sections. Here is how to merge cells on macOS.
- Open the document and go to the table that needs to be edited.
- Click on the cell that you want to merge.
- Now with the shift key pressed click on the other cell or cells that you want to merge
- Once the selection is made go to the Layout tab
- Here you will see an option to Merge cells
- Click on it and the cells on your tables will be merged
Separating cells in word on macOS
When it comes to separating cells on macOS
- Click on the cells that are merged and need to be split
- Then click on Layout
- Click on the split Cells option near Merge cells.
How to merge cells in word online on an Android device?
Editing documents is convenient when they are saved on the cloud and accessed through word online. Having the luxury of editing them on the phone is an added advantage. here is all you need to know about merging cells in word on an Android device.
- Login in to your microsoft account and access the file on your android device. this can be done on the application or the web browser.
- once you have the document open scroll to the table.
- Tap the edit icon on the right corner of the screen
- The menu open at the bottom will have all the formatting options required to edit the document.
- Tap on the arrow near home and select the insert option
- Scroll down to tables and you will be able to add a new table to the document
Once you have the table ready merging cells is easy
- Select the sells that need to be merged. To select tap on one tab – you will see tabs on both sides of the cell. drag the corners of this tab to include adjoining cells.
- Under the Table menu you will find the Merge Cells option.
- The change will show in the document as soon as you select Merge cells
- Tap the check mark after you are done to save the changes made.
Word Online is a collaborative platform and most of the functions are based on the permissions you have. If you are unable to edit or merge cells it is possible that you do not have permission to edit. Even if you are the owner of the file there are chances you have changed the settings. Hence it is important to make sure that you are editing. To check if you are on editing or reading mode check the tag close to the ribbon on the top.
Press Alt + A release the A key and press M you can also click on the cells that need to be merged and press Alt + Enter. So, all you need to do is select all the cells that you want to merge and press Alt + A and then M
In order to unmerge, separate or split cells in word on your Mac device select the cell that you need to work on. Then choose the format option > go to Table and select Unmerge cells. On doing this all the cells that were previously merged will go back to being individual cells. You can merge them again if you like by selecting the cells and choosing the merge option.
If you are looking to merge two cells in word first select the cells that you need to merge. Right-click on those cells and choose the merge cell option. Once done the selected cells will be merged.
Hope you found this article interesting. here is a list of things we covered
- How to merge cells in word online?
- Merging cells in word online
- Separating merged cells in word online
- How to merge cells in word online on macOS?
- Separating cells in word on macOS
- How to merge cells in word online on an Android device?
- Why can’t I merge cells in Word?
- What is the keyboard shortcut to merge cells in word online?
- How to unmerge cells in Mac?
- How do I merge 2 cells in Word?
check out other articles here
- How to insert equation in word online?
- How to insert a line in word online?
- Remove transparent background in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.