Equations are a part of almost every course or research paper. If you are a teacher or a student and need to include or add Math Symbols or Equations in your Word Online File it could be quite frustrating. In this article, we will take you through how to insert equations in word online, and also, we will see, how to enable equation in word online.
How to insert equation in word online? To insert an equation in word online all you need to do is select the spot where you need the equation > click on Insert > Select Equation > select from the list of equations available > make the desired changes.
Inserting an equation in word online
There is a simple option available when it comes to adding equations on a file on word online. You can do this by following these simple steps
- The cursor needs to be at the spot where you need to insert the equation. You can either use the arrow keys or the mouse to get the cursor to the spot.
- Once you have the spot Click on Insert
- The insert tab has a number of options from those select Equation
- Once you click on the equation symbol or menu you will have a side menu that will open.
- This menu will have 3 options Recent, Symbols and Structures
- The recent menu is convenient for equations that need to be used frequently, you will save time looking for and editing them.
- Symbols and Structures will help formulate equations as per your requirements.
This is how to insert an equation in word online.
How to edit equations in word online?
In Symbols, you can select all the symbols from the library in the order you would like to view them on the word document. this includes basic math symbols and some complicated ones. This section is supposed to have all you need to edit solve and create an equation.
The selected symbols can be seen on the Editable pallet at the top of the menu. From here you can edit the symbols and eventually the equation.
If you need a Structure to your equation you can select Structures. Here you can select the structure you need from the library and edit it from the Editable pallet. the edits are saved in the recent equation section to make it easier to find.
Once the equation is ready you can simply select Insert on Page. this will ensure that your equation is on your word online page.
How to insert equations in word online on an android device?
Here is how you can add an equation to a document using your android device
- Open the document you need to add an equation to
- Click on where the equation needs to be inserted. The equation will show up where the cursor is
- Click on the edit option and you will have a menu on the bottom of your screen
- Click on the arrow near home to reveal the menu
- Select Insert this will open a menu at the bottom
- scroll down to Equation and select it
- You will see a blank space blinking on your screen.
- you can then insert the equation you desire . Either type out the equation or select them from the options availabel.
- The editor lets you edit parts of the equation or all of it using Math Options
- The phone keyboard options are sufficient to edit as it has most of teh symbols in the numbers and symbols section. if you are still looking for options choose the equations that are pre installed.
- Clicking this gives you two additional options Professional and Leniear choose the option required and make the necessary changes to the equation.
How to insert equation in word online on ios?
Here is how you can add an equation to a word document from your apple device
- Open the document that requires the addition
- Click on the spot where the equation needs to be added
- From the menu cloode the insert option
- Scroll down to equations
- You can edit the equation by clicking on the blank space on the screen
- Use symbols from the keyboard
- Ready qeuations are available in the menu you can select the one you require
- Click on the check mark to save the changes made to the equation
This is how to add equation editor in word online.
Equation editor greyed out in word 365 or word online
The main reasons why you cannot add an equation to your word online document are
- You are not in editing mode on Word online
Check if you are in the editing mode or if it is a shared document check of you have permission to edit. Only ones with permission to edit can add or remove elements from a word online document.
To check if you are in the editing mode check on the right side of the home ribbon you will see it there. To change click on the arrow near it and you can switch modes.
- Please note: you will not be able to make changes if you are not the owner or do not have editing rights.
The file is not saved as a .docx file – this happens when you have saved the document on your computer and it is not in the right format.
How to enable equation in word online
Select File > Save As. The popup saving menu will open up. There make sure you change the file format to .docx and hit the save button.
Alternatively, once you are on the Save As pop up change the name of the file and choose the location for the new file. Make sure that the checkbox against Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word is unchecked.
There are many file converter options available over the internet and most of them are free. In order to change the format, look for one such converter > upload the file and convert it to .docx.
This is how to enable equation in word online and fix the equation editor greyed out in word 365 issue.
After clicking on Install click the + sign next to the office tools. Now click the arrow next to Equation Editor to select. Select the Run all option from My computer and then select update now.
Yes, you can insert an equation to the word document you are working on by pressing Alt and = together. This will insert an equation at the position of the cursor. It will also open the editor so that you can make the desired changes to the equation.
Related Microsoft 365 word online tutorials:
- How to add page numbers in word online?
- How to delete a document in word online?
- Check word count in word online
- How to insert a table of content in word online
- How to insert an online video on word online
This article took you through
- How to insert equation in word online?
- Inserting an equation in word online
- How to edit equations in word online?
- How to insert equations in word online on an android device?
- How to insert equation in word online on ios?
- Why is the equation editor selection greyed out?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.