When it comes to sorting out lists alphabetically most people rely on Excel or other programs. But did you know that you can sort lists in Microsoft word in just a few steps? Here is all you need to know about how to alphabetize in office 365 word online.
To alphabetize in office 365 you will need to open the list in the desktop application of Word. You will then need to select the list that needs to be sorted. In the ‘Home’ tab click n the sorting option. You can then choose to sort the list in ascending or descending order. Click on OK and the list will be sorted.
How to alphabetize in office 365 word online
There are various situations in our personal and professional lives that require lists. There are times when these lists need to be sorted alphabetically. In this section, we will take you through the steps one can take to alphabetize lists.
- Start by opening the document you would like to work on. Word online is a great tool for collaboration and storing. You can access documents by logging in to the word online or one drive websites.
- Once you have logged in you will need to open the document containing the list or lists that need to be sorted.
- As the web version of Word is limited in the functions it offers users. You will need to download the document to work on it from the desktop application.
- The document can be downloaded or accessed directly from the one drive application on your device. Once the application is downloaded you will have a similar folder on your computer.
- Now open the document, by default it will open in the desktop application
- You will see the list that was created on the online version of Word.
So as word online is great when it comes to creating lists and bulleting or numbering it doesn not allow users to alphabetize.
Check out How to sign a document in Word Online?
Alphabetize lists in word for microsoft
Here is how to alphabetize the list in word online.
- Once you have the word document open start by selecting the list.
- To select you can use the click and drag method. Click on the first letter and without releasing the click you will then need to drag the selection down to the last word.
- If you have only the list in the word online document you can use Ctrl + A to select the entire list or the contents of the document.
- Click on Home in the top ribbon
- From among the various options click on and select the sorting option. An AZ with a downward arrow is in the paragraph section.
- The sorting option will open into a popup menu. You can choose from paragraphs, headings, and fields depending on the contents of your document. If you do not have any other text in the word document you can go in for a Paragraph. if you however need to format text based on headings you can choose corresponding options.
- You can choose from text, number, and date. This is particularly helpful if you need to sort a list based on the days of the week or month. we have chosen Text for this example
Once selected you can select either ascending or descending based on your requirements.
- This is an example of how your list will look after you have arranged it in the ascending order in word.
- To arrange your list from A-Z click on the ascending option.
- This is an example of how your list will look after you have arranged it in the descending order
- To arrange your text from Z – A choose the descending option in the word document.
Please note that you can change the order at any time by going to the sorting menu and selecting another option in word online.
How to alphabetize in Word for Mac?
Mac users can create lists in collaboration with others on word online. After the list is created you can download the file or access it from one drive. Download the one drive application from the store. You can also download it from the website.
All you need to do then is log in to your account and then edit the docuemnt.
When you access documents from the one drive folder it opens in the desktop version of Word. Here are the steps you can follow to alpabetize it.
- Select the list that requires formatting.
- Another way to select a list is by moving the cursor to the first word and then with the Shift key pressed moving through the list using the arrow keys.
- If your document comprises only a list you can use Command + A to select the entire document.
- Now click on Home in the top ribbon of the document.
- Under home, you have various formatting options. From among those select the sort by option. An AZ with a downward arrow is on the right of the menu.
- Once you select it you will have a popup menu on the screen.
- Here you can choose the type of content you need to sort. is it a paragraph or headings?
- You will also need to specify the type of content. Is it text or numbers or dates?
- Once you have filled in the information you can specify the order. The list can be sorted in ascending or descending order.
Note: you can alternate between ascending and descending order at any time. All you need to do is, select the text that needs to be sorted > click on Home > go to the sort option and change the order.
How to alphabetize in office 365 word online on Android devices?
Though word online has a great interface and is userfriendly it lacks certain functions. Alphabetizing lists created on word online from android devices is one such function. You can however use your phone to edit lists and number them. The desktop version is required for sorting.
Can you alphabetize lists in word online on iOS devices?
iOS devices are handy and convenient especially while using word online to edit and collaborate on documents on the go. This being said even though you can do so much on your iOS device.
Unfortunately, sorts lists is not one of them. You can use the bullets and numbering options to number the contents on your list. But, sorting will need a laptop or desktop.
Word online doesn’t give you the sorting option. You can however number the list created but you cannot sort it. For this, the desktop version comes in handy. Here is a list of topics this tutorial touched upon.
- Alphabetizing options in office 365
- How to arrange lists in ascending and descending order in Word on windows devices
- Looking into alphabetization in a word for mac
- Can you alphabetize lists made on Microsoft Word on your Android or iOS devices?
If you found this article informative check out related articles here
- How to do a hanging indent on word online?
- Understanding how to add fonts to word online?
- Steps on how to insert a line in word online?
- How to insert shapes in Microsoft word online?
- How to separate pages in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.