Have you ever wanted to write a technical article or something similar that required inserting code snippets? have you resorted to copying and pasting and then formatting it most of the time? Here is a tutorial on how to add code block in word online.
To insert a code block into your word document, access the document by logging in to the word online website. Once you have the document open click on the Insert tab and select object. now create a new document and copy and paste the source code.
Check out this tutorial on How to double space in word online?
Steps on how to add code block in word online?
When codes are inserted into a document using just copy and paste there are formatting difficulties users face. This is typical because the formatting and other elements of this text are different.
When text is posted it will show up in a picture-like format where there is a possibility of editing individual elements. But, you will still need to do it manually. If you need a better way of doing it follow these steps.
- Start by opening a new document in the desktop application of Word. This can be done by opening an existing document and opening a new blank document from the File menu. You could also start by working on the document you have open.
- Once you have the document open go to the top ribbon and click on the Insert tab.
- From among the sub-tabs go to the Text section
- Here you can click on Object.
- In the dropdown select object again.
- You will now have a popup window with various options.
- Make sure you are in the Create new section of the popup menu.
- In the object type section scroll down till you find Microsoft Word Document.
- On the right, you will see a Display as icon option. Check the box near it. this way the text inserted will show up as an object or as a group.
- After you have made the necessary selections click on OK
- You will now have a blank document in front of you.
- Minimize the new document and go to the code you would like to copy.
- It is better to copy the code onto notepad before inserting it into your document.
- Open notepad or notepad++ from the start menu.
- now paste the code
- Once the code is pasted select the text using Ctrl+A and copy it
How do you insert a code block in Word?
- Finally, open the new word document and all you need to do is paste the code.
- The code will look something like this.
- The document can then be saved with the source code on it.
Similar article How to delete a document in word online?
How do I insert a code snippet in Word 365?
When working on articles, papers, and other material, it is always better to include snippets or pictures to explain the text. When it comes to including the snippets of codes the process is a little different.
In this section, we take you through how to add snippets of codes in Word 365.
- Start by opening the document where you need to add the snippet. This can be done on an existing document or a new one altogether.
- Once you have your document open click on the Insert tab for the menu
- From among the options available click on Object in the Text section
- You will now have a popup menu that will show on your screen.
- In the popup menu click on the Create new tab
- You will now need to scroll through the various options available and select Open Document Text.
- Clicko n OK
- You will now have a new document that will open.
- Paste the code on this document.
Understanding how to include code snippets in documents?
- If you are tying the code see that there are no spaces in the text.
- In most cases, it is better to paste the code into notepad before pasting it to the document. This will remove all the unnecessary formatting.
- now select the text and add a border to the text. this can be done using the tools under the home tab
- Once you have a border fill it in with a neutral color like grey.
- Exit the document after formatting the text
After you have completed all the steps you will see that you are redirected to the original document. the one you started to edit in the first place. The snippet will be in the box you have created.
Frequently asked question
There is a lot that you can do using your Android or iOS phone but when it comes to adding code blocks to texts it is better to do it from a desktop or laptop. this way you are sure that the text copied is formatted right and you have the entire text copied in one go.
This being said you can insert a code that is copied on the application on your phone. The only difference is you will not have as many editing options.
we can say that adding code blocks to text is a simple task. you need to remember to remove all the formatting and insert it without any spaces. it is better to paste the text into a notepad before inserting it into the document. here are some of the topics we covered.
- How to add code block in word online?
- Steps on how do you insert a code block in Word?
- How do I insert a code snippet in Word 365?
- Understanding how to include code snippets in documents?
- Can you add code blocks to Word Online documents on an android or ios device?
If you liked this tutorial and found it helpful check out similar articles here
- How to insert a line in word online?
- Steps on how to insert an equation in word online?
- How to rotate picture in word online
- Understanding how to separate pages in word online?
- How to sign a document in Word Online?
- How to insert text box in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.