Headers on documents are useful to showcase important information. This includes the name of the institution or topic or the paper or other things alike. This tutorial takes you through how to add a header in word online.
How to add a header in word online? to add a header to your word online document click on Insert and under it select Header & Footer. this will open a menu with types of headers and also an option to delete the header.
Adding a header to a word online document
Headers in word documents are used to add a title, date, or Page number to every page. They are a default feature in word and come as a blank space between the edge of the page and the first line of the content.
Here is how you can add a header to a word document
- Open a document in word online by signing into your Microsoft account
- if you have the content ready open that document or choose a new blank document to begin with.
- There are two options when it comes to selecting the header. You can either click on the tag called header on the right side of the screen.
- Alternatively, to insert a header go to Insert on the main screen
- and select the header & Footer option
- This will highlight the header and footer in the document and give you an editing option.
The header will show as a panel on the top and the options will include options as explained below
- Same across Entire Document: here the same header is repeated across the entire document.
- Different first page: where the first page like a cover page has a different header as compared to the rest of the document.
- Different even& Odd pages: where you can have separate headers one to be used on even pages while the other to be used on odd pages
- Different first, even & odd pages: this is where you can have a header dedicated to the first page and then have separate headers for even and odd pages of the document.
- Remove page numbers: this option removes the pages numbers you have previously enabled
- Remove header and footer: this option removes headers and footers entirely.
you can choose from the above and then edit the header accordingly. the changes made will be seen as soon as you click on the option selected.
How to edit header in word?
The header and footer can be edited at any time. Here is how
- Click on the header tag on the right of the document or click on insert and select header & footer.
- You will now see a new ribbon on top of the Document
- Select this ribbon and you will see a new menu on the top and bottom of the page.
- Edit the header and this will be added to all the pages. you can change it using the options mentioned in the section above.
- You can view the header only when you select View in the menu bar and select either Reading View or Header & Footer
- If you want a separate header for the first page, go back to Insert > Header
- Now on the top editable panel you will see an Options menu > Select Different First Page
- You can then create a separate header for the first page of the document
- To remove the Header you can go to Insert > Header
- Now on the top editable panel you will see an Options menu > Select Remove Header & Footer and select Remove All.
Why can’t I see my header in Word online?
There are a few reasons to consider when it comes to troubleshooting a disappearing header
First of all, make sure that you are in the right viewing layout. Switch to print layout to check the header. If the header is still not visible then the problem needs to be resolved in another way.
When it comes to headers it gets a little tricky because word displays a blank white space between the edge of the page and the first line of the content. But you can easily hide this space without even realizing it.
To check if the space is available hove the mouse on the top of the page until it displays the header line. Double-clicking the edge will hide the header and or the footer.
Another reason can be that the header is deleted. Here is what to do to revoke it or check if it is deleted.
How to add a header in word on an Android device?
On Android devices the options are limited but you can surely add headers and footers to documents. Here is how
- Open word online on your android device. this can me done on the browser on on the application.
- Open the document you need to edit or open a new document.
- Once you have the document open tap on the edit option
- This will open a menu at the bottom of the screen
- Tap on the arrow next to home
- Scroll down and select insert.
- Under insert you will have a number of options. scroll down to header & Footer.
- Once you click on it you will see the header and footer on the screen
the header can be edited using the options available in the edit menu. The color content and other things can be changed. You can also add page numbers and other content in the header section of the document.
How to add a header to a word document on iOS?
To add a header to a word document on your iOS device follow these steps
- Open the document that needs to be edited
- Tap on the edit option
- Now go to insert and tap on Header & Footer
- Your header will show instantly
- The editing options are available to add content or format the header.
Hope you found this tutorial helpful. We took you through
- How to add a header in word online?
- Adding a header to a word online document
- How to edit header in word?
- Why can’t I see my header in Word online?
- How to add a header in word on an Android device?
- How to add a header to a word document on iOS?
Check out other tutorials here
- How to track changes in word online?
- How to add columns in word online?
- change language in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.