Deleting files from your Mac system can be a little tricky. The same is the case with word documents that are located on the computer. Here are a few tips and tricks on how do you delete a word document on mac.
To delete a word document on mac, you will need to delete the folder from the internal storage of your desktop or laptop. Go to Finder > look for the document you would like to delete by typing the name in the search bar > Drag and drop the document into the bin. You can also use Command + Delete to permanently delete the document from your system.
How do you delete a word document on a mac?
Deleting a word document from a Mac system is similar to deleting any other file. The process may seem different from Windows as the creators wanted to reduce the number of files deleted by mistake. Here are some of the methods you can use to delete a word document.
Deleting a document from Finder
Finder on Mac is like the directory of what is in the computer. You can find all the files stored on the drive from this folder. Here is how you can delete a word document saved on your Mac from Finder.
- Finder is located in the Doc on the bottom of your screen.
- Click to open. You will have a popup window
- All the files on the computer will show in the window.
- Click on the location of the document to locate it
- The list of documents will show on the right of the window
- Right-click on the document you would like to delete
- You will now have a list of options in a dropdown menu. Click on and select Move to Bin.
Deleting a Document from the desktop
If the word document you are trying to delete is saved on the desktop here is how you can delete.
- Close the document and go to the desktop
- Right-click on the document. If you haven’t activated right click you can use Ctrl + Click.
- You will now have a drop-down menu
- From the options click on Move to Bin.
When you delete files from the desktop it will leave a gap. You can manually cover the gap with another file or document.
You could also do it by right-clicking on the desktop > selecting sort by from the menu > choosing from the list how you would like the files arranged. This way the gap will be covered.
Deleting a document by dragging it into the bin
Another way you can delete a document on your mac system is by dragging it to the bin. Here is how it is done.
- Locate the document on the computer from Finder.
- Once you have the document select it
- You will have a blue selection over the document
- Click on it again and this time don’t release the click
- You can then drag the document into the Bin using the mouse.
If the document is located on the desktop you can follow the same method.
- Click on the document, you will have a blue selection border
- Click on it again and this time do not release the click
- Drag the document and hover over the Bin
- Release the click.
How to delete a document on Mac using the keyboard?
Knowing keyboard shortcuts is always an advantage, especially when you are multitasking and you would like to get things done asap. Here is the keyboard shortcut you can use when you need to delete a word document from your mac system.
- Open Finder and locate the document you would like to delete.
- Once you have located the document click on it to select
- After selection use, the Command + Delete keys on the keyboard to delete the document.
Command + Delete removes files from the computer. These documents can still be retrieved from the Bin.
How do you delete in Word on a Mac?
You can delete files from the word folder itself on your Mac system. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Open the word application on your Mac device
- Go to File
- You will now see recent documents created.
- If you are looking for something older use the search bar to look for the document.
- Click on the document once you find it.
- At this point, it is better to open the document and make sure you really want to delete it. If you have already done it skip this step.
- Right-click on the document and you will have a dropdown menu.
- From the options click on and select Delete.
- You will then get a popup message asking if you are sure about deleting the document.
- Click on Delete. Cancel if you are still unsure.
Once deleted the document will move to the bin.
How do I permanently delete a document from my Mac desktop?
Once you select Move to Bin the document will move to the recycle bin. Here is how you can permanently delete it from your computer.
- Go to the docket and click on Bin
- Once you click on the icon you will have a popup menu with all the files sent to the bin.
- On the top right you will see an Empty option
- Click on Empty
- The files will be permanently deleted from the computer.
Here is another way of permanently deleting documents from your Mac computer
- Open the docket if hidden or go to the docket
- Right-click on Bin
- Select Empty
How to delete documents on office 365 on Mac?
Office 365 is extremely convenient when it comes to creating and sharing files. When it comes to Word, like other office programs you have the online and offline versions to use.
When files are created using office 365 they are saved on the cloud instead of the computer. This way you can access files on the go as long as you have an active internet connection.
Here is how you can delete documents created on office 365 from mac.
- Login to office.com and go to word.
- You will have a list of documents created
- Click on the one you would like to delete.
- you can ow right-click on the document and select Delete.
- Another option is to click on the three dots on the right and select Delete.
- Once you click on the Delete option you will have a popup asking if you are sure you want to delete the document.
- Select Delete. Cancel if you do not want to.
To permanently delete files from office 365 you will need to clear the recycle bin. here are the steps you can follow.
- On the left of the screen, you will see the recycle bin option. under File, Recent and Shared.
- Click on Recycle Bin
- You can select the Empty recycle bin option on the top left of the screen. If you need to delete only a particular file and leave the rest in the bin, select the file and delete it.
- Once you hit delete you will get a popup asking if you are sure. Select Delete and the document will be permanently deleted from your office 365 account.
Word is a great software to work on, creating and editing files is so simple. This tutorial took you through how to delete documents created on Word from your Mac system.
You may like the following word online tutorials:
- How to edit a word document with a friend online
- How to rotate picture in word online
- save a Microsoft word document online
- How to delete a document in word online?
- How to add page numbers in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.