When images are added to a word document they are accurate to the dimensions they are saved in. A bigger image will take up the page while smaller images occupy a smaller space. While moving the image around in the document, it’s clunky and unpredictable. This tutorial takes you through how to free move pictures in word online.
To move an image freely in a word online document you need to wrap the text around it. For this, select the image by clicking on it. You will have a formatting tab in the top ribbon. From here you can click on the Wrap text option and select the type of wrapping from the list. By doing this you can freely move the image without random text placement.
How to free move pictures in word online?
Are you struggling with pictures in your documents and would like to move them around without disturbing the text? Here are the steps you can follow to free move pictures on Word online documents.
- To access documents created on word online you will need to log in to Office online. Once you have logged in it is easy to locate, open, and start editing documents.
Pictures can easily be inserted into word online documents. You will need to click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document. Click on and select Picture. From the dropdown menu choose the place where you would like to add the picture from.
Once the picture is added to the document you can move it around. But, you will not be able to control how the text moves with the image. Follow these steps to see that the image moves smoothly.
- Click on the Image to select it. The picture formatting menu will be available only when you click on and select the image.
- Go to the Picture tab in the top ribbon.
- Click on Wrap Text. You will have a dropdown menu
- From the options available you can choose the text wrapping style. If you want the image to move over the text use the In front of Text option. If you want to see the text while the image is on the side you can use the other wrap text options.
- Once the style is chosen the image inserted into the document can be moved around the document easily without affecting the text.
Free move objects using right click
The wrap text option is also available in the right-click dropdown menu in word online. Simply right-click on the image and you will have the menu. Click on Wrap Text and then choose the option that you would like to apply to the image.
How do you move an object in Word for Mac?
While working on documents on the desktop version of Word online you can move pictures by clicking on them and dragging them. The only issue with this is that it messes up the text-to-image format. Here are the steps you can follow to move an object freely in Word for Mac.
- Start by locating and opening the word document you would like to work on. If the document is online and you can either download it from word online or on one drive.
- Open the document and click on the image to select it. If you do not have an image inserted click on where you want the image.
- Go to insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- Click on Pictures and from the dropdown you can choose where to add the image from.
- Once the image is added you can click on it and select it. Once selected the Picture Format tab will be available in the top ribbon.
- Under the Picture Format tab, you will see an option called Wrap Text. Click on this to reveal a dropdown menu.
- From among the options you can choose In Front of Text. This way the image added to the document will hover over the text. This free-floating image can then be moved around the document.
- If you want to move the image in relation to the text in the document. which means that if you want the text to encapsulate the image you can use the other options. This way the image can be moved without disturbing the text.
Free move objects using right click in word online
Another way of using the wrap text option in Word is by right-clicking on the image.
once you right-click on the image you will have a dropdown menu. From this menu choose the Wrap Text option. Once the option is selected you can choose the wrap text format from the list on the right.
How to freely move a picture in Word for Windows?
While working on the desktop application of Word on Windows systems here are the steps to follow to freely move a picture.
- Start by locating the document on your computer. This can be done by going to the corresponding folder or by using Explorer.
- Double click on the document to open it.
- You can click on the image that you want to format. Use the insert tab to insert an image if you do not have one.
- The picture format tab will be available once the image is selected.
- Here you will find the Wrap text option.
- Click on it for options.
- You can use the In Front of Text option to have the image hover over the text.
- If you want the text to be visible use the other wrap text options.
You can access the Wrap text option in word from the right-click menu. Right-click on the image > select wrap text and > choose the format.
How do you move an object freely in Word on phones and tablets?
You can access documents created on Word online from phones and tablets as long as you have an active internet connection. Here is how to free move pictures in word online on android and iOS phones and tablets.
- Download the word application for Android and iOS from the store.
- Once you have the application log in using your credentials and you will have access to all the documents created using Word online.
- Locate and open the document you would like to format
- Enable editing
- Tap on the image to select it.
- Go to the menu and tap on wrap text
- Select from the list
- Move the image in the document
- Tap on the check mark to save changes
This article took you through How to free move pictures in word online. Along with this, it looked at how to move a picture freely in Microsoft Word on phones, tablets, windows, and Mac systems.
Hope you found this article useful check out similar tutorial articles here.
- How do u make a bar graph on Microsoft word online?
- How to copy paste graph from excel to word online
- make all periods bigger on word online
- How to put a circle in Word online
- How to change all caps to lowercase in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.