Want to download a file from OneDrive but don’t know how to? If yes, you have stumbled upon the right webpage.
In this article, I will cover some of the best methods you can follow to download files and folders from OneDrive easily.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started –
OneDrive- What do we know?
OneDrive is undoubtedly one of the most popular cloud storage solutions out there. It lets you upload and share files and folders with anyone over the internet very easily, and since it is a cloud storage solution, you can access your OneDrive storage whenever and wherever you want. All you will need is a device that supports internet connectivity.
OneDrive lets you download your files or entire folder very easily; the best thing is that you don’t even need to log in to your account. All you will need is a shareable link to that OneDrive file or folder, and you will be able to download the file very easily.
So, here is how you can do that –
How to Download a file from OneDrive
There are multiple devices on which you can download the OneDrive files, such as Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, etc., Or you can download it directly from the web browser. Here are all the steps you can follow.
1. Using a Web Browser
This is arguably one of the best techniques to download files from OneDrive because this technique allows you to download files from anywhere. All you need is a device with a web browser installed and an active internet connection.
Here is how you can do that –
- Go to OneDrive’s web portal and log in with your OneDrive account credentials.
- Now, locate the file that you want to download from OneDrive.
- Select the file. You can select all of them if you want to download multiple files.
- At the top toolbar, you will be able to see the Download option. Click on it to initiate the download.
This will initiate the download process, and all your selected files will be downloaded shortly.
If you select a single file to download, it will be downloaded in its original format. However, if you select multiple files or folders, they will be downloaded in a Zip file format.
2. On Windows PC
If you are using the OneDrive app on your Windows PC and you want to download all your files from OneDrive to your local computer, you can use the Sync option. This will allow you to access all your OneDrive files, even if there is no internet connection.
That said, here is how you can download files from the OneDrive using the Sync option –
- Log in to your Microsoft Account.
- Let all the files sync to OneDrive on your Windows PC.
- If you have just downloaded the app, you can choose which files to sync on your system.
- Now, open File Explorer, and click on the OneDrive option on the left menu options.
You can see all the files synced to your system that you do not need to download anymore. Simply use it whenever you wish to.
3. On Android Smartphones
Next up, you can also download all the files on your smartphone. Simply download the app and log in to your Microsoft Account. Follow the steps below.
- Open the OneDrive app and choose the files you want to download
- Now, select a single file or multiple files and click on the three vertical dots.
- Choose Save from the list of options.
- Next, tap on Save to this location arrow.
- Select the folder in which you want to download the file on your device and click on Save.
Once done, the files will be downloaded to your device, and you can then use them as needed.
4. On iOS
OneDrive is not only limited to Windows users; if you have an iPhone, these are also the steps you can follow to download the files directly from the app.
- Install the app and log in to your account.
- Choose the file you wish to download
- Now, click on the three horizontal dots beside the file and tap on Share.
- Scroll down and click on Save to Files
- Select the location you wish to download the file, and click on Save.
Your file will be downloaded and saved to your iOS device. You can keep repeating it for other files as well.
5. On MacBook
For MacBook users, the best way to go from here is either use the web browser method which will be easier and much faster. Otherwise, if you have a large number of files to download, you can choose to download the app and then sync all the files from OneDrive to your Mac. Here is how you can do it.
- Download and install the app on your Mac.
- Now, log in to your account and click on Choose OneDrive Folder Location.
- Once done, simply open the app, and the files will start syncing to your mac.
- To access those files, tap on the OneDrive icon on the menu bar located at the top.
- Look down, and you will find an option that says Open Folder. It has all the files you will need.
If you need more space left on your Mac, you can simply pause the syncing or even delete the files from the folder as you wish.
Why Can’t I download a File from OneDrive – Reasons and Solutions
You can try a few solutions if you need help by following the steps above and downloading files from OneDrive. The reason behind it could be anything, such as poor internet connection, server issues, system issues, etc. Here are a few things you can try to solve the above and download the files again.
1. Check your Internet Connection
One of the major reasons you are unable to download files from OneDrive might be that your internet connection needs to be fixed. In such situations, your page will not load and ultimately face issues.
Hence, make sure your internet is working and properly connected to your system. Furthermore, even if the internet seems to be working, the issue might be with your laptop having connection issues. Hence, fix everything before trying to download again.
2. Use a Different Browser
Another option is simply switching to a different browser. Sometimes, Google Chrome may not work the way you want it to, and thus it creates lags all the time. So, you can try Safari browser (Mac users), Opera browsers., etc.
Or else, you can use the Incognito mode and log in to your OneDrive account. Ultimately, it will work for you once you change the browsers.
3. Check the File Access Settings
Another reason that you may not be able to download the files is that you need proper access to the files. Some files shared with you might be restricted where you can only view and comment on them. In such cases, you will not be able to download them.
Hence, get proper access to the files you are downloading or copy-paste the content into another document if there is no way to do the above. You can then download that file easily on your device.
There you have it – a detailed article covering how to download a file from OneDrive.
Downloading files from OneDrive isn’t rocket science. All you need to do is follow the steps above, and you will be able to download all your files and folders to your local storage.
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.