Double underline is used to draw special attention to a part of the text. You will generally see it in documents that have a grand total of text that wants to draw your attention to specific detail. This tutorial article takes you through how to double underline in Word Online.
To Double Underline text in a Word Online document start by opening it in the desktop application. Select the text that needs to be double-underlined. Now Click on Home in the top ribbon of the document. Under home you will see the Underline option > Click on it for a drop-down menu. From the options select Double underline.
Double underline in Word meaning
A Single underline is the most company-used formatting in Word. It is used to emphasize certain parts of the text. When it comes to double underline it serves a similar purpose but in a way makes the emphasis more pronounced. Users generally use a double underline to denote the total budget or expenses.
To insert a double underline to text select it and then go to the underline option in the Home tab. Here you will find the double underline option. You can also insert a double underline from the font menu using keyboard shortcuts.
For Windows use Ctrl + Shift + D to open the menu. For mac use Command + D and you will have the font menu open. Once in the menu, you can easily add a double underline to the selected text.
How to double underline in Word Online?
The Double underline option is not available in Word online owing to the limited formatting options. Hence, You will need to open the document in the desktop application if you would like to highlight text by double underlining it. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Locate and open the Word online document you would like to edit.
- Click on Editing in the top ribbon of the document. You will have a drop-down menu.
- From the options select Open in Desktop App
Your document will now open in the desktop Word application
- Select the text that needs to be double underlined
- Go to Home in the top ribbon of the document
- Click on Underline (U with an underline). You will have a dropdown menu
- From the options select double underline.
How to double underline in Microsoft Word?
Double underlines can be added to the text by going into the font menu as well. Here is how it’s done.
Start by selecting the text you would like to double underline
- For windows, click on Home in the top ribbon of the document
- Under the font section, you will see an outward-facing arrow. Click on it for more options.
- While working on a Mac system open the document and then click on Format in the top panel.
- From the dropdown menu select Font.
- You can also use the Keyboard shortcut Command + D
The font menu is the same for Windows and Mac.
- Click on Font and you will have font options
- Go to Underline style and click on the arrow, you will have a dropdown menu.
- Select double underline.
- Click on Ok to save the changes.
How to double underline in a Word table?
How to double underline in Word without text?
To double underline in Word without text you will need to add spaces. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Click on Home in the top ribbon of the document you are working on.
- Under Home, you will see the Show/hide option. Select it.
- Select the Tab characters that you would like to underline
- If you do not have a tab character you can place one by hitting the tab key.
- After you have a tab character simply use the keyboard shortcut to underline and then use the dropdown to change it to a double underline.
- You could also use the font menu to double underline the tab.
- After the double underline appears you can turn off the show/hide option from the Home tab.
How to double underline in Word using phone?
While working on Phones and tablets you can underline text by using the underline option in the Home section. When it comes to double underlining it is not possible. There is a workaround.
- Start adding a single table cell into the document.
- Now move it to where you want the underlined text
- Insert the text into the cell
- Hide all the walls of the cell except the lower one.
- Change the border to a double line.
How to change double underline color in Word?
Sometimes just double underlining text is not enough, to lay special emphasis on the text you will need to change the color of the underline. Here is a quick guide on how to change the color of the double underline in your word document.
- Select the text that needs to be underlined or select it if you have already underlined it.
- In Windows click on Home in the top ribbon of your document and open the font menu.
- For Mac click on Format in the top panel
- In the dropdown menu, you will see the font option. Click on it to open the menu
- Click on Font
- If you haven’t double-underlined the text click on the arrows under Underline Style and select double underline.
- If you have already underlined the text go to the section titles and underline color.
- As a default setting, it is set to automatic. Click on it to change the color.
- Choose the color from the list in the dropdown by clicking on it.
- Once the color is selected click on OK to save the changes.
This tutorial article took you through the process of adding a double underline to selected text in a word document. It looked at the two ways it can be done, one from the Home tab and the other from the Font menu. We also looked at adding a double underline to a document when you don’t have text.
Hope you found this tutorial interesting and helpful. Check out similar articles here.
- How to add line numbers in Word Online?
- How to view two documents side by side in Word?
- get rid of side-by-side pages in word online
- How to do small caps in Word Online?
- How to put spacing between bullet points in Word Online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.