Storage space is the main concern for Google Drive users and the internet giant has set limitations of 15 GB of free storage for each user. If the new files are added to Google Drive, they will added to the 15GB of memory space count.
To make use of your 15 GB of free storage space, you need to delete unwanted files on Google Drive regularly. Deleting files from Google Drive is an easy process but it is kind of tricky also.
At some point, users will not see the changes even after deleting the files from Google Drive, so here are the tested and easiest methods to delete files permanently from Google Drive and the step-by-step explanation will make things easier for you.
Delete files from Google Drive on a Laptop
If you are a laptop user, 15GB of storage will be filled earlier, so follow the steps to delete files from Google Drive on your laptop.
- Open Google Drive and sign in with your credentials from your laptop at https://drive.google.com/
Note – Here you will see the message of your storage space running out of its capacity of 15GB but here we are going to fix it.
- Once you are logged in to Google Drive, click on the My Drive option in the left side menu. This will show you the files and folders listed in your Google Drive.
- Move to the file you want to remove and right-click on it. Click on the Remove option to move the file to the bin folder of Google Drive.
- The removed or deleted file is still in your drive and it will be permanently deleted from your account after 30 days only.
To avoid this, you can clear the Trash folder and get rid of the unwanted files quickly. Open the Bin folder from the left side panel of your Google Drive.
- Right-click on the file and click on Delete forever.
- Click Delete forever again for confirmation.
This is the easiest method to permanently delete files from your Google Drive on your laptop. If you have multiple files to permanently remove from the trash folder, just click on the Empty trash icon on the top right side to clear your trash folder.
Removing unnecessary files means more space and flexibility for you to use the space for important data that needs to be accessed from anywhere in the world.
Delete All files from Google Drive Permanently
Here if you want to delete all the files from Google Drive permanently, follow the below steps to do so.
Points to consider – It is difficult to recover files that are permanently deleted from Google Drive and you should take a backup of all important data before clearing all the files. Once you are sure about deleting all files from your Google Drive, you can follow the steps to do so.
- Log in to your Google Drive account from your laptop, PC, or smartphone.
- Press Ctrl+A to select all files. Click on the Delete icon to move all files to the trash folder.
- Open the Trash folder and select the Empty Bin option on the top right side of the screen.
- Click Delete forever again for confirmation.
The above steps will delete all the files from your Google Drive storage space and you will have all the 15 GB of space available to use.
Delete files from Google Drive on Android
Google Drive is the main cloud data storage option for millions of Android users around the world. The Android operating system allows excellent syncing options with Google Drive and other Google services through smartphones.
Now let’s check how to delete files from Google Drive on Android devices.
- Open the Google Drive application on your smartphone.
- On the bottom menu, tap on the Files option to view the files and folders on your Google Drive.
- Select the files or folders you want to remove. You can select multiple items at the same time to remove them together.
- Click on the trash can icon at the top to move the files to the Bin folder.
- Open the Trash folder and tap the three vertical dots at the top. Click on the delete forever option to permanently delete the files you want to remove from your Google Drive account.
Google Drive Android application allows easy handling of files from your smartphone and removing unnecessary files is an easy task for Android users. This is how we can delete files from Google Drive on Android.
Delete files from Google Drive on the iPhone
iPhone and iOS users also depend on Google Drive for quick and easy online access to their data. The iPhone application of Google Drive can be used to access and manage our files effortlessly. Let’s check how we can delete files from Google Drive on your iPhone device.
- Open the Google Drive app on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap on the Files option at the bottom part of the screen.
- Select the item(s) you want to remove from Google Drive.
- Click the three horizontal dots at the top and press Remove.
- Click on the Move to Trash option in the confirmation pop-up.
Now the files you want to remove are in the Trash folder and you can delete them permanently from there. Just follow the below steps to execute this process.
- In the Trash folder, click on the three horizontal dots next to the file you want to remove.
- Select Delete Forever on the screen and the confirmation pop-up to permanently remove the file.
Delete shared files from Google Drive on Android
Google Drive allows users to share files with other users using their Google account. You can choose the files you want to share and send the link to the invited person to view them or the other user can find it in the Shared with me folder of their Google Drive.
The below steps will help you to delete shared files from Google Drive on an Android device.
- Open the Google Drive application on your Android phone or tablet.
- On the bottom, tap the ‘Shared’ icon to see the shared files.
- Next to the file you want to remove, tap the More icon.
- Tap Remove to move the file to the Bin folder.
- Open the Bin folder and delete the file permanently from there.
Always remember, that you can delete the files only if you are the owner of a shared file. If the file is shared with you by some other user, deleting it will only remove the link to your Google Drive account. The Owner or the other shared users can still view and edit those files.
Recover Permanently Deleted files from Google Drive
There is the possibility of losing our important data accidentally in Google Drive which will cause serious problems. To overcome this situation, Google Drive never directly deletes any file stored in the account.
All the Removed files are sent to the Trash folder and can be recovered within 30 days. If you have not recovered yet, you can recover from the trash folder in Google Drive.
- Open the Google Drive Account and navigate to the Bin folder.
- From the Trash folder, right-click the file you want to remove and click on the Restore option. The file will be restored to its original folder and you can access them.
If it is an important file you have deleted from a Trash folder then it will be difficult to recover the data once the time limit has crossed. If you are using a shared Google Workspace, there is still a possibility that Google Workspace Admins can recover permanently deleted Google Drive files and folders within 25 days of deletion from the Trash using the admin console. After that, deleted files are recovered from Google’s systems.
If you are unable to recover the files, the last option is to reach out to the Google Drive specialist team or support team. Continue reading to reach out to the support team.
- Open the Google Drive from the browser and click on the “?” icon on the top right corner of the page. From the drop-down menu, click the Send feedback to Google option.
- Fill up the form and share the details of the file you want to recover. If your request is acceptable, the Google technical team will contact you soon.
It is important to keep track of your cloud storage space to use the space in SmartWay. Removing unnecessary files is an important part of this process and follow all the methods to delete files permanently. Also, it covers the below topics.
- How to delete files from Google Drive on Android
- Delete files from Google Drive permanently
- How to delete files from Google Drive on iPhone?
- How to delete all files from Google Drive
- How to delete shared files from Google Drive on Android?
You may like the following Google Drive articles:
- How to Upload iMovie to Google Drive
- How to Unshare a Folder in Google Drive
- Google Drive Waiting to Upload Error
- How to Backup WhatsApp to Google Drive
- How to see folder size in Google Drive
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.