If you use Google Drive to store all your files, then this guide will be very useful to you in the long run. We have been covering every aspect of making cloud storage more accessible for every user. Since it is impossible to keep track of all the files that you upload, you can always choose to create shortcuts in Google Drive for all the important files.
Whether you are using your laptop or your smartphone to access Google Drive, each device has the option to create shortcuts. In fact, you can even choose to add a shortcut of your files directly on the desktop itself.
Without wasting a lot of time, we will directly get on with the guide on how to create shortcuts in Google Drive.
How to Create Shortcuts in Google Drive on Computer
The first method we will learn to create shortcuts in Google Drive is using our laptop or a system. This is no rocket science and very simple to work on. Here we go.
- Open the official Google Drive site.
- Make a right-click on any file or folder you want to create a shortcut of.
- Click on Add Shortcut to Drive.
- Select the location you want to create a shortcut for.
- Now, tap on Add Shortcut.
The shortcuts created are super helpful to organize the most important files and folders you have on your Drive. You can either choose to create a folder or add all your shortcuts collectively to make things easier.
This is how to create google drive folder shortcut on desktop.
How to Create Shortcuts in Google Drive on Smartphone
Whether you are using an Android phone or an iPhone, you can use the steps below to create shortcuts in Google Drive. The same method applies to iPad users as well.
- Open Google Drive app on your smartphone.
- Scroll down and choose the file or folder to create a shortcut.
- Now, click on More or three vertical dots.
- Choose Add Shortcut to Drive.
- Select the location or create a new folder.
- Click on Add.
You can do all these steps on your Android phones as well and organize all your files.
This is how to create google drive shortcut on iPhone or Android phones.
Important Points to Note while Creating Shortcuts on Google Drive
Here are some aspects that you need to understand or know about creating shortcuts on Google Drive.
- Your shortcuts will not work if the original file is in the trash or deleted.
- You can create up to 500 shortcuts for each file or folder.
- Anyone can see the shortcut created when added to a folder that is visible to multiple people.
- You cannot delete a shortcut in a folder that is owned by someone else.
- Shortcuts can be deleted but not the original file.
- You can make a copy of a shortcut folder or a file.
How to Remove Shortcut from Google Drive
If you no longer need the shortcut on your Google Drive, you can always choose to delete it. Here are the steps you can follow to delete a shortcut from Drive.
- Open your browser and go to Google Drive.
- Make a right-click on the Shortcut file.
- Choose option Remove.
- Your file is now moved to the Bin.
If you want to permanently get rid of all the screenshots from your Drive, make sure to clear the Bin folder. This applied to a computer and smartphones.
Also, you can delete any shortcut you have created but not the original file if you are not the owner of it.
Google Replacing Files and Folder Stored in Multiple Locations with Shortcuts
Google has now rolled out an incredible feature that will automatically replace all the multiple versions of files and folders in your Drive to their shortcuts. You will now get notifications about the replacement process that will begin soon for all your files.
Here is all you need to know about this.
- All your duplicate files will be replaced with a shortcut, keeping the original file in a single location.
- There will be no change in the ownership settings of the original file and the shortcuts.
- The replacement is automated and you do not need to take part in the process in any manner.
- There will be no change in the sharing settings of any of the files.
- No one can opt out of the replacement process.
Related Google Drive articles:
- How to Copy a Shared Folder in Google Drive
- Share Google Drive Folders With Non-Gmail Users
- How to change the Google Drive folder location
- Google Drive Upload Failure 38
- How to Upload Voice Memos to Google Drive
- How to Change the Order of Files On Google Drive
This is probably all there is to know about how to create shortcuts in Google Drive. There are a lot of important aspects to know before you delete or create shortcuts that we have mentioned as well.
Make sure to choose the right location of a shortcut on your Drive. If you accidentally add it to a folder you may not have complete access to, you will not be able to delete it in the future.
Furthermore, if you are facing any error on your Google Drive, you can let us know in the comment section below and we will get back to you.
I am Carissa Gudinoa, a technology buff, and Office online and Apple expert with over 9 years of experience. I am passionate about helping others get the most out of their Apple devices. I have written extensively about Apple products and technologies. I am committed to providing my clients with the best possible service and am always up-to-date on the latest Apple products and features. I also write extensively on other software available for use at minimal cost or free. This includes Word Online, Outlook Online, Excel Online, and other Office online programs… Check out more.