If you create a certain type of document frequently it is better to have a template. This way you will save time and will just need to fill in the information and have the common content ready. This tutorial article takes you through how to create a template in word online.
To create a template in word online you will need to go to the desktop application and open a new document. Start by typing in the information that the template would contain. Now click on File in the top ribbon and from the options select Save as. Type in the File name and in the Save as type section select Word Template.
How to create a template in word online?
As you cannot create a template in Word online you will need to do it in the desktop version. If you have already created a word online template raw file you will need to open it in the desktop application. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Locate and open the document you would like to edit.
- Start by clicking on the Editing option in the top ribbon of the document near Help
- You will have a drop-down menu
- From this menu click on and select Open in Desktop App.
The document will now open in the desktop application of Word. Here is how you can edit and create a template.
- After you have opened the document in the desktop application you can make the changes that are required. This may include adding fillable blanks and other content.
- Once the content is added Go to the File tab.
- On mac systems, you have a Save as template option select it.
- You can now name the file and save it
In windows however, you will need to use the Save as option
- Click on File and you will have various options
- From among these click on and select Save As
- You can then type a File name in the box
- Click on the arrow next to Save as type
- Select Word Template
By doing this the template will be saved on your computer to be retrieved at any time.
How to create a template in word Mac?
Templates are easy to Word with. Here are the steps you can follow to create a template while working on Word Mac.
- Start by locating the document you would like to use as a template. If you do not have one ready you can start by opening a new document and adding the content.
- After the content is added click on the File tab in the top section of the screen
- Under File, you will see an option titled ‘Save as template’. Click on it
- You will have a popup window asking you to type in a file name
- Click on the blank space near save as and start typing in the name of the document.
- You can add tags to the document from the Tags section.
- You can also specify the location of the document. Click on the arrow next to Where and you will have a list. You can also create a new folder.
- You can then check the file format. This can be changed as well. Click on the arrow.
- You will have a dropdown menu with options to choose form
- Choose the one that you would like to use.
- Once you have made all the changes click on Save.
Your template will now be saved on your computer and you can use it whenever you like.
How to add a template to word 365?
Office 365 is great as you can use it online as well as offline. The best part is that all documents created are saved on the drive and you can access them from anywhere as long as you have an active internet connection.
When it comes to creating a template in Word 365 users need to understand that they cannot do it from the online version of Word. This means that you will need to download the template if already prepared or open the document in the Word desktop application.
Here are the steps you can follow to create a template in office 365 word online.
- Open a new document
- Type in the template content and leave space for fields that need to be filled in.
- Click on File in the top ribbon on Windows systems
- Go to Save as and select it.
- Type in the name of the document
- Select the location where you would like to save the document
- Click on the file format section and select Word template.
- Select Save
On Mac systems, you can click on the File option in the top panel and then select the Save as Template option. Here you can specify the file name and the type along with the location. You can then click on Save.
How to create a letter template in Word?
The best thing about Word is that you have templates that have already been created. Here is how you can alter templates that are already saved and make them your own.
- Open the desktop version of Word
- Click on New
- You will have a screen like this where you can type in what you are looking for
- Type in Letter and with an active internet connection, you will have all the letter templates offered by Word.
- Scroll through the different templates available.
- Once you have a template that you like you can click on it.
- Clicking on a template will activate the Create option
- Click on Create and you will have a document will all the contents and formatting from the template.
- Start making the changes you require.
- Once you have made the changes you require click on File. For Mac, it’s in the top parallel and for Windows, it’s in the top ribbon of the document.
- You can now use the Save as template option on Mac and Save as option on Windows to save the document as a template.
- You will need to specify a file name, its location, and the file type. Once this is done click on Save. The template will now be saved and ready to use.
This article tutorial took you through the different ways in which you can create a template in Word. It also looked at using pre-created templates, formatting, and saving it as your own.
Hope you found this article useful. Check out similar articles here.
- How to show white space in word online
- How to see edit history in word online?
- make MLA format in Word Online
- How to remove space after paragraph in word online
- How to remove space after paragraph in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.