As we are familiar with file sharing, we know Google Drive is the best. Have you tried creating an account group in Google Drive? Is it possible? Have a look at how to create a Google Drive account for a group?
It is quite helpful if we are creating an account for a group of people to share important files or folders in Google in the organization. All you need to do is invite the users to view or edit your documents through their email IDs, However, when you start adding many people, it might feel difficult to provide privileges or authority to every individual team member manually.
Google Drive account for a group and teams that make working on projects with team involvement easier. Let’s get started.
What is a Shared Drive on Google Workspace?
Before getting into creating an account for the group, we will see what is shared drive on Google Workspace.
- Shared Drive is a part of Google Workspace where you can create a Google Drive account for a team. Rather than sharing the individual account, we can share all the documents with the shared Drive tool.
- We can add more team members or even remove members. Anything shared on this space remains as it is even after anyone decides to leave the group.
- There are multiple benefits for all those who are switching over from Shared Drive to My Drive for a group. In Shared Drive any team member can add files to the site and all the team members own the files.
- Similar to that, you can also sync all the files here if you use Google Drive for Desktop. Furthermore, if you have the Contributor access to the Shared Drive, you can recover the files from the trash.
How To Create A Google Drive Account For A Group (Shared Drive)
To create a Google Drive account for a group, you must have access to Google Workspace which requires a premium subscription. After signing up for Google Workspace, follow the steps given below.
Make a New Shared Drive
Follow the below steps to make a New Shared Drive in Google Drive.
- Access Google Workspace through workspace.google.com and click on the shared drives icon on the left-hand menu. To create a new shared drive, click on the + button on the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Since you are a premium member of Google Workspace access, you will have the role with the highest level of privileges, i.e., manager. This role allows you to add other members and manage the access permissions of existing members.
- Add new members by clicking on the manage members option and specifying their email addresses. You can also select multiple emails at once to add more members to give access to the shared Drive.
- Once the members are added to the Shared Drive, newly added members are provided with the role of content managers, and to change their access privileges. By clicking the arrow next to preferred members, you can choose the permission level for them.
Create, Upload, or Import Files in Shared Drive
Once the Shared Drive is created for the team, you can add the necessary files and folders required to be shared with your group. You can either create a new file or upload or import existing ones.
While on the shared drive, click on the plus icon and choose from options like creating a new folder, uploading an existing folder, and creating new files. It also offers a drag-and-drop feature to upload files easily.
Manage Your Shared Files
- Files should be maintained in a proper way to have cooperation in the team. The shared drive offered by Google Workspace provides a lot of features to enhance your efficiency in the group.
- Right-click -> add to starred option to share the important documents. To search for specific files within a folder, right-click and select the search within option.
The shared drive members can also move files to their personal driver accounts using the drag-and-drop action. However, the ability to delete files and folders can be done only by the admins.
Cooperation with the Group
- Google Workspace also offers several features that allow you to maximize the productivity of your group.
- We can also share updates with the team directly through Google Workspace other than files and folder sharing.
- Move to the preferred file or folder and choose the share option located at the top right corner. If you want to share a file or folder with a specific team member, click on the plus icon within it and enter the email address of your group member.
- Only managers or admins can share both folders and files. Members can have only permission to share the files. If you want to remove the access, click on the plus icon and choose the remove option.
Why Should You Use Google Workspace?
Below are the important points to consider why we should go for Google Workspace.
- Cooperation and communication – Multiple users can work simultaneously thus making cooperative work with the team members.
- Cloud storage – It provides cloud storage for the files to access our files, and folders through the internet connection.
- Security and Data Protection – Google Workspace includes security features like two-factor authentication, data encryption, and advanced threat protection. Google invests more in security to protect user data and privacy.
- Regular updates – Google regularly updates and improves its services, by adding new features to maintain user needs.
How to move files from My Drive to Shared Drive?
If you have a certain number of files you wish to share with your team members in the Shared Drive, you can easily transfer them with a few steps. Whether the files are on your system, drive, or simply any other location, it hardly takes seconds to do so.
Moving on, simply having edit access to the files can allow you to share the files on the Shared Drive. It can be made possible if the administrator has allowed the options and the file owner is also a part of the group of the Shared Drive.
If you were looking to create a Google Drive account for a group, you would surely find Google Workspace helpful for you. It allows you to create a shared drive that multiple users can access at once.
You may also like:
- How to Upload iMovie to Google Drive
- Select Multiple Files On Google Drive
- Recover Permanently Deleted Photos From Google Drive
- Google Drive Vs iCloud
- How to Restore Text Messages from Google Drive
- 7 Best Chrome Extensions for Google Drive
- Can Viewers on Google Drive download Files?
Here, we saw:
- How to create a Google Drive account for a group
- Set up a Google Drive account for a group
- How to create a Google account for a group
I am Kirithika and a senior technical content writer expertise in using various Microsoft and Google tools like OneDrive, Outlook Online, Word Online, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft teams, Google Drive, etc. I love to share how-to tutorials, tips, and tricks on these tools. From last 5 years, I am trying to serve various clients across the United States of America. Check out more on About me page.