Google Drive is undoubtedly one of the best and most popular cloud storage services on the internet, but it lacks many essential functions. For example, one of the most absurd options that are unavailable on Google Drive is the ability to make a duplicate copy of a folder.
Therefore, if you want to copy a folder in Google Drive, you have landed on the right page. Here I am going to share a few different methods to copy a folder in Google Drive.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started:
Why is it difficult to copy a folder in Google Drive?
Without a doubt, Google Drive is an excellent place for anyone who wants to collaborate, organize, and store files. It is, after all, one of the few services that offer free cloud storage of up to 15 GB, and users can extend it further with a premium plan.
Plus, you get the security provided by Google and access to tons of free tools such as Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and whatnot. Of course, all these files are directly stored in your Google Drive. If you use Gmail as your primary email, you can import all Gmail attachments directly to your Drive.
But there is a silly problem. Google Drive doesn’t let you copy a folder. Maybe Google Drive is working on this option, and they will introduce it sooner or later. But until then, there is no official and direct way to copy a folder in Google Drive.
Thus, if you want to copy a folder, you can follow one of the few methods that I am going to share with you today.
How to copy a folder in Google Drive Manually
There are a few different methods that you can follow to do that, and here is the first one- The very first technique that I am about to share is not something magical, but it gets the job done.
Since Google Drive doesn’t have any option to copy the entire folder along with all its content, you have to manually copy all the files inside the folder and paste it to a new folder.
It definitely takes some additional time, but still, it is one of the most feasible methods to copy a folder in Google Drive.
To do that, you have to follow these simple steps-
- First of all, go to drive.google.com and sign in with your Gmail credentials.
- Now, head to the folder you want to copy and open it to see the files inside.
- Here, you have to select all the files available inside that folder. You can press CTRL+A on Windows, Command+A on MAC, or do it manually.
- Once you have selected all the files, you have to right-click on a file and select the “Make a copy” option. Google Drive will start making a copy of the files you selected and place them inside the same folder. Google Drive further adds “Copy of” text before the name of each file.
- You have to select all the duplicate files, right-click on them, and choose the “Move to” option.
- Now, go to the directory where you wanted to copy that folder, click on the “New Folder” icon, give it a name, and click on the “Tick” icon.
- After that, you will be taken to that folder, and click on the “Move Here” option.
That’s it. After performing these steps, all the copies of files move to the new folder, and this is how you can copy a folder in Google Drive.
Use Backup & Sync to copy a folder in Google Drive
This is another excellent method that you can follow. But for this, you have to install the Backup & Sync tool by Google Drive on your computer. The best part about this is that it is straightforward.
All you have to do is make a copy of a folder, and that’s it. However, to do that, you must have the Backup & Sync app installed on your computer.
You can follow the method mentioned below to learn how to install it or if you have it already installed, you can skip this section.
Install and set up Backup & Sync app
To install the Backup & Sync app on your computer, you have to follow these simple steps-
- Go to www.google.com/drive/download/ and download the Backup & Sync app on your computer.
- Once it is downloaded, open the file and run it.
- After that, it will ask you to restart your computer. Do it.
- Open Backup & Sync and connect with your Gmail credentials.
- After that, you have to choose folders that you want to backup with Google Drive.
The Backup & Sync tool installs on your computer, and it will create a separate Google Drive folder on your computer.
Now, if you want to make a copy of a folder in Google Drive, you have to follow these simple steps-
How to copy a folder in Google Drive using the Backup & Sync app
- First of all, open the “File Explorer” on your PC.
- Now, head over to the “Google Drive” folder.
- Right-click on the folder you want to make a copy of and click on the “Copy” option.
- You have to go to the directory inside the Google Drive folder where you want to copy that folder. Right-click on the blank space of this folder and click on the “Paste” option.
Doing this will make a copy of your folder in Google Drive. Backup & Sync is my favorite method because I am a frequent Google Drive user, and it is quite straightforward and user-friendly.
However, you have to install and configure the Backup & Sync application on your computer.
Use web apps to copy a folder in Google Drive
Well, the last method includes using a third-party web application to copy a folder in Google Drive.
Fortunately, there are many open-source web applications available on the internet that can help you with that, and since they are open-source, you can trust them.
One tool that I can suggest to you is this one designed by a GitHub user, Eric Yancey Dauenhauer. It is one of the finest tools that I have ever used to copy a folder in Google Drive.
To do that, you have to follow these simple steps-
- First of all, visit this link on your browser.
- It will ask you to sign in using your Gmail credentials. Do that.
- After signing in, this tool will ask you for some permission. You have to click on the “Review Permission” option.
- A pop-up will appear where you will be asked to grant permission; allow it.
- Soon after that, you will be landed on a page where you have to select the folder you want to copy. You can choose a folder that you want to copy by pasting the URL of the folder, or you can manually pick a folder from your Google Drive using the “SEARCH YOUR DRIVE” button.
- After selecting a folder, click on the “NEXT” button.
- In the next step, you will be asked to give a name to your copy folder. You can leave it as it is or give it a name and click on the “NEXT” button.
- In the next step, you have to pick where you want to copy your folder. You can choose “Same as original” to copy the folder on the same directory, or you can select any other option if you want to copy it on a specific folder. After deciding, you have to click on the “NEXT” button.
- In the last step, you have to confirm that you want to copy this folder. Do that by clicking on the “COPY FOLDER” button.
- It will initialize the copying process, and soon after that, you will see a successful message on your screen.
You have successfully made a copy of your folder in Google Drive.
You may like the following Google Drive tutorials:
- How do I open a word document directly in Google Drive?
- Google Spreadsheet IF THEN Formula
- How to Block Someone on Google Drive
- Cannot Download Files from Google Drive
- How To Share Google Drive Folders With Non-Gmail Users
- Delete Recent Activity on Google Drive
- How to Stop Google Drive Upload for PC and Smartphones
- Failed Forbidden Error on Google Drive
- How to Save Emails to Google Drive
There you have it – the three best methods to copy a folder in Google Drive.
Google Drive is an excellent cloud storage service, but unfortunately, it doesn’t have a copy folder option. Hopefully, Google may wake up one day and introduce this option in Google Drive. But until then, these three are the best ways to make a copy of a folder in Google Drive.
If you are a beginner or use Google Drive very often, I recommend using the Backup & Sync method. It is the most reliable and easiest way to copy a Google Drive folder. Using web apps is equally a great choice. But even though the codes are openly available, giving access to a third-party tool is something I am skeptical about.
With that said, here I am wrapping up the article. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this article, do let us know by dropping a comment below. Our team will try to respond to your comments ASAP.
I am Carissa Gudinoa, a technology buff, and Office online and Apple expert with over 9 years of experience. I am passionate about helping others get the most out of their Apple devices. I have written extensively about Apple products and technologies. I am committed to providing my clients with the best possible service and am always up-to-date on the latest Apple products and features. I also write extensively on other software available for use at minimal cost or free. This includes Word Online, Outlook Online, Excel Online, and other Office online programs… Check out more.