AirPods offer an amazing audio experience. However, when watching a movie or listening to music with a friend. You need to share the earphones connected to your Mac. This doesn’t always have to be the case.
If you have two sets of AirPods, you can combine them with your Mac and use them together. This means you and your friend can experience the complete audio soundscape without sharing the earphones.
Depending on the generation of AirPods you’re using, you’ll have to have the appropriate OS on your Mac. If you have second-generation AirPods, you need to ensure that your mac is on macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or higher for the AirPods to work with the mac.
Similarly, third-generation AirPods require macOS Catalina 10.15.1 or later, and AirPods Pro needs the latest macOS Monterey to be compatible with the Mac.
If you’ve used the same Apple ID on your iPhone and your Mac, you should be able to connect your AirPods to your Mac pretty easily. We have detailed how you can do this on your Mac and also provided some other tips and tricks in the article.
How to Connect Two AirPods to One Mac?
This process is very similar to the Share Audio feature on iPhone, which allows people to listen to music on their own AirPods from a single iPad or iPhone. However, that works only if the other devices are from Apple.
This is not how it works on Apple, as it will work with all Bluetooth or wired devices. Read the details provided below.
- Click on the Apple logo.
- Open System Preferences from the list.
- Head over to the Bluetooth tab and toggle it on if it is switched off.
- If you’re wearing the AirPods, place them back into the case and open the top.
- Thumb down the button at the back of the charging case, and keep pressing it till you see the light switch to white.
- You should now be able to see your AirPods under the “Devices” section on your Mac.
- That’s it. You should be able to connect it to your Mac now.
- Now repeat the abovementioned steps for the second set of AirPods.
- Once you have connected both AirPods to your Mac, we can move on to the next step.
- Open a Finder window.
- Click on the Applications tab from the menu on the left side.
- Search for the Audio MIDI Setup application and double-click to open it.
- Alternatively, you can also enter Audio MIDI Setup in the Spotlight search bar to do the same.
- Once the application opens up, click on the “+” icon at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Select Create Multi-Output Device from the list that drops down.
- Under the Audio Device section, check the boxes next to the two connected AirPods to your Mac.
- Rename the Multi-Output Device so that it is easily identifiable.
- Now close out the Audio Midi Setup application.
- Click on the Control Center icon on the Menu bar and click on the Sound tab.
- Under the Output section, choose the newly generated output profile you created.
- Alternatively, you can also do this by opening System Preferences and clicking on the Sound tab.
- Head to the Output tab and select the new output profile you generated.
Read How to Convert WMV to MP4 on Mac
How to Turn Off Automatic Switching on Mac?
Automatic Switching allows you to switch your AirPods between devices smartly. For example, if you listen to music on your iPhone and then move on to your Mac, your AirPods will automatically switch to your Mac.
Given that they have already been paired and previously connected to your Mac.
However, it can get quite frustrating if your device keeps doing it even when you don’t want it to. Read the following instructions to learn how to switch this feature off.
- Make sure you’re wearing the AirPods.
- Click the Apple logo and open System Preferences; locate the Bluetooth tab and click on it.
- Select the Options button next to the AirPods under the devices section.
- Select “ Connect to this Mac ”
- After that, choose, When last connected to this mac.
- Then make sure you disable this feature.
- The wording can differ on different macOS versions, but make sure it is not set to Automatic.
Read How to Log Out of Kindle App on Mac
Can I Connect My AirPods to Two Different Devices at The Same Time?
You can pair your AirPods to two different devices simultaneously but can’t necessarily use them simultaneously. This stems from the fact that you can’t receive audio from two different sources simultaneously.
The only option that comes close to this is using the automatic switching feature on Apple devices.
Second-generation AirPods, third-generation AirPods, and AirPods Pro can seamlessly switch between devices without disconnecting them from one device and then pairing them with the next.
Read How Do I Restore Photos Library on Mac?
How to Reset AirPods?
Resetting your AirPods can fix many issues related to charging or connectivity issues. Read the set of instructions provided below to learn how it is done. 1
- Make sure you’re AirPods have some charge in them.
- Place them back into their charging case and close the lid on it.
- Wait for thirty seconds.
- Now, pop up the lid open of the AirPods charging case.
- Head over to System Preferences by clicking on the Apple logo from the Menu bar.
- Click on the Bluetooth tab and toggle it on.
- Now click on the cross icon next to your AirPods.
- A warning message will pop-up asking if you really want to remove and unpair the AirPods.
- Click on Remove to complete the process.
Read How to Customize Toolbar and Sidebar on Mac
That’s it for this article, folks; now you know how to connect two AirPods to a single Mac and use it to watch movies or listen to music with your friends without sharing your AirPods. If you want to switch back to using your speakers for output, click on the sound tab from the control center and choose your Mac’s speakers under the output section.
You may like the following mac tutorials:
- How to Sign Out of App Store on Mac
- How Do I Delete Bookmarks On My Mac
- Make A Pdf File Smaller On Mac
- How to do Upside Down Question Mark on Mac
- How to Connect a Canon Printer to Your Mac
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.